Craft Paint Colors / Use ?

jlg759

Jun 3, 2003
stateline pa
mywebpages.comcast.net
I have been reading the threads and thought it would be nice to get a list of colors / brands of acrylic paints used to make the models we see. For instance i am using a color called Linen made by Folk Art to paint concrete on plastic kits. It seemds to be working well. What color's are you using and suggestions.

Joe

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I use the FOlk Art-type (or whatever the dollar store has) for weathering. Useful colours include Antique White (light and reg), Black, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Red & Forest Green (makes a nice "off-boxcar red"), Tan, Yellow, and Orange.

Combinations of the above can make rust, dust, dirt, salt stains, or whatever.

Andrew

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I have a drawer full of craft paint. I use them for almost everything exceot painting locos and rolling stock. I paint details and figures with them. Windows and trim on buildings. I thin them for staining stripwood and scenery. and drybrush for weathering. I'll usually take a sample of color that I'm trying to duplicate to the local craft store and see what I can match.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I have a weird collection. They have some large bottles of magenta on clearance, but I don't have any magenta bushes on the layout.
I have a bunch or variations on grey and black -- I like charcoal for asphalt station platforms, licorice for wet patches. A series of greys for coach roofs; a bit of variation in them. (I really liked the Dungeons and dragons paints for this, and telling people what the colours were...)
I have a couple of shades of brick red and many variations of green, 3 or 4 types of blue to shade backdrop sky and water.
All the earth shades and the ones each side. I just picked up a weathered grey in the clearance that I'll try on the outhouses.

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
I use primarily colors by Delta in their Ceramcoat line. It's a bit pricier than Folk Art or Apple Barrel brands, but IMO the Delta has a finer grind to the pigment. The other brands seem to separate and appear grainy when diluted. I've airbrushed the Delta colors with good results, unstrained even (so far...I have purchased but haven't had occasion to use the little strainer funnel combo from Micro Mark).

I seem to have a never-ending bottle of Raw Sienna...the stuff just keeps on coming out. Recently, an in-law bought me a cool rotating rack for storing all the little 2 oz bottles. I have barely filled up half a side...so I have plenty of room to buy more!

I typically look for coupons or try and find it on sale. Walmart generally carries it for under a dollar a bottle. Michaels usually has the best selection, but is a bit pricier. However, they usually have good coupons (if your significant other doesn't get to them first!) and frequent sales.

Hope this helps!

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
I like the cheap craft paints also. I buy whatever colors seem "railroady" and I do a lot of mixing to get whatever color i am looking for. I use the stuff thinned for washes, I use it full strength for dry-brushing, and use it for primer too. You can't hardly beat it.

As for colors, I have all kinds of grays, burnt umber, a bunch of off-whites and tans and browns, greens, and of course black. I rarely use the black straight though, I mix it with grays or browns for washes.

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
For scenery I undercoat my areas that I'm going to put ground foam down with a tan of some kind. For roackwork I like to use a mix of sandstone, storm cloud grey and a drybrush of both Iron oxide and white for highlights

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Boy you are asking a question here!

(All the following paints are Folk Art)

Like you for aged concrete I use Linen 90% of the time. On occasion I have also used Light Gray and Parchment.

For weathering wheels I use a base coat of Burnt Sienna and then a sloppy coat of Asphaltum (90% of the time), or Raw Umber, Burnt Umber, or Raw Sienna (for variety).

For weathering trucks I use a base coat of Charcoal Gray and Dry brush Burnt Sienna and Asphaltum.

Weathering track and ties I use Asphaltum.

For weathering rolling stock and locos I use Charcoal Gray on all. I then use a combination of one or more of Raw Umber, Burnt Umber, Raw Sienna, Dark Gray, Licorice, Country Twill (for covered hoppers carrying cement).

To make rust spots I have used a combination of layers of Burnt Sienna, Red Oxide, Real Brown, Huckleberry, and Maple Syrup.

To paint boxcars I have used Huckleberry, or Barn Yard Red for redish cars or Maple Syrup for brownish cars.

I always recommend testing and/or practice before you use something just to make sure it is what you are looking for.

Here's a web page listing some Polyscale colors and the closest Delta Ceramcoat match for each:

http://www.arizonarails.com/paint.html

I use acrylic paints for painting. I usually buy Delta, but if I find a stash of paints at garage and yard sales and the price is right and enough of the colors look useful, I'll grab it regardless of brand. I've been really happy with the results I've gotten from them.

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
I LOVE Mudstone (Delta Ceramcoat color). It's been a really useful weathering wash, as well as a great stone color for some of the hand-carved stonework I did on my timesaver.

And that's a great link to the listing of paint matches. The whole site is interesting, not just the paint page!