CPR Lake tug finished

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I finished my Tugboat project.
finished%20tug%201.jpg

It's almost entirely scratchbuilt. The only comercial casting is the ship's wheel.
The build-up can be seen at the Scratchbuilder's Guild at:
http://www.scratchbuildersguild.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=207:scratchbuilding-a-cpr-lake-tug&catid=19:scratch-builds&Itemid=114

N

nachoman

Glen, looks great! Is that on your home layout or on a club?

Kevin

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Good-looking tugboat, Glen. I also enjoyed your description of the construction: plan enough to have a good sense of what you want and, generally, how to get it, but don't sweat the details. Everything came together beautifully. :thumb: :thumb: :-D
Next time you need to do a soldering job similar to those railings, pieces of wet tissue or paper towel work great as heat sinks - simply tear the tissue into suitably-sized pieces, wet it thoroughly, then wad it up and place it on the joint to be protected. It can be formed around details soldered onto larger pieces, too, and if you use a large-enough soldering iron, you can work very close to an already-soldered joint - the extra heat will allow you to make the new joint before all of the water boils out of the adjacent tissue. The tissue also works if you need to solder something like a handrail that's already installed in a plastic model: that's how I assembled the ladder on the the front side of Beeg Boy's tender. Work in plastic does need to be fairly light, and done quickly with a small iron, though.

Wayne

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Thanks guys the pic is from my home layout and it's small (2'X1') harbour.

Thanks to both Sumpter250 and Wayne for the soldering advice. It'll come in handy for my other projects.
I'm probably going to add a few more deck details like ropes and chains since it does look a little bare right now.

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I'm pretty sure there is one, but I can't remember the name of the company that makes it.
From my memory you can buy the bow and stern sections and then buy the center sections seprately so you can make a bulk freighter as long or short as you want.

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Great job Glen!:thumb::thumb::thumb:
That was a lot of work but the end result is really sweet!
In fact, that whole area looks pretty SWEET!!!