CPR Doodlbug ??

cobra

Dec 11, 2003
belle river , Ontario
Visit site
Anyone out there ( and I know you're out there ) know if the CPR ran a doodlebug or similar item 30 to 40 years ago ? My CPR '60's layout is starting to take shape and I would like the doodlebug scenario to be plausible . If it's too far out there I'll paint it in industrial colours with the company logo ...and use it anyhow but I prefer the burgundy and grey .

Neil

cobra

Dec 11, 2003
belle river , Ontario
Visit site
Thanks for the CPR website , atleast thanks for the effort ....the site has done diddley for me not only with the word ' doodlebug ' ( I didn't give up there ) but several other words on the SEARCH mode showed nothing .....maybe I should be talking in metricspeak .....
Really , the answer isn't that critical since I'm streeecchhing on several other things as well , more fun that way .:D

Neil

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
I think this list is to include doodlebugs:

http://www.trainweb.org/passengercars/Indexes/C1.htm

:cry: :cry: :cry: none listed :cry: :cry: :cry:

Bu tyou might look through these pages to see what's there:

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/motorcars.html

They are called motocars or gas electrics as often as doodlebugs, as you may already know.

Have you got one? And is it a Walthers, or a Bachmann? Just curious :D Like a monkey :D I think the bachmann is an EMC Gas Electric.

EWEWEW! UPDATE:

cp46.jpg

St. Louis Car Co., now you have a prototype to shoot for :)

cobra

Dec 11, 2003
belle river , Ontario
Visit site
Hey cool , Jon , maybe 'll run a CN doodle on the layout just to stir the doodoo ! Mine's a Bachmann , kitbashed to look industrial ( think Mad Max ..ish ) Digitrax decoder runs ok but not as well as the Bachmann 3 truck Shay . There was a CPR shay in existence so that fits .
Think I'll look up ' boxcab diesel ' on the CP site just to see that they don't or didn't have one of them either .

Neil

ENR3870

Apr 1, 2003
Sooke, BC, Canada
www.geocities.com
CN also ran Brill Gas-Mechanical railcars, like the ones used for passenger service on Vancouver Island. Looked a little bit like a Budd RDC-2. I'm not sure if CP also had Brill equipment. Most of CP's doodle bugs were numbered in the early 9000 series, 9000-9019, IIRC, and because most of the doodlebugs were still in service by the time CP started buying RDC's; the RDC's were numbered in the 9000 series as well starting at 9020.

railwaybob

Jun 15, 2003
Ottawa, Ont
www.railwaybob.com
Starting with CN #501, CN experimented with a number of self-propelled passenger cars between September 1921 and 1925. They finally settled on the oil-electric as represented by CN #15820. The bodies were built by the Ottawa Car Company. The diesel engine was from Beardmore of Scotland (the same supplier for the first CN diesel), and the electrics were from Westinghouse. They were assembled at CNs Point St Charles shops. The proper term is "oil-electric" and not doodle-bug or gas-electric. They lasted well into the early 1950s before being replaced by the Budd RDC cars.

CN #15820, the first of the oil-electrics, was the first train to run non-stop across Canada in 1925. The story is quite interesting with a couple of near-miss accidents along the way. 15824 shown above was the 4th in the series of the final oil-electric model by CN.

The bodies of subsequent oil-electrics were built both by the Ottawa Car Company and by National Steel Car in Montreal and assemble at Pt St Charles. In the early 1970s, there was a book published on CNs oil electrics. Except for a few early experimental models between 1921 and 1925, I believe they were all built in Canada. The Bachmann "doodle-bug" is a close representation.

CP came into the oil-electric scene a little later on with most of their units being built by the car manufacturers such as EMC.

The "boxes" that sit on top of the oil-electrics above the engineer were added later on. These were radiators.

If you buy an "off-the-shelf" model such as the Bachmann, you'd have a pretty close representation as they were greatly modified over time.