CPPE Phase 2 with pics

cpNscale

Nov 13, 2003
Victoria BC
www.trainweb.org
My old layout has been retired to the garage to make room for a 14ft x 4ft dog bone module layout.I bought this off a friend that hadn't completed it.It has all the fetures i was hoping to build in my first layout attempt.But really didnt know how to design it.So i will put my efforts forward with this new one and learn from my mistakes.
town2.jpg

sams

Dec 17, 2004
Looks like you have a good starting point
yep, an excellent layout!
also, looks like kato unitrack?
and some buildings/structures to get you started?
seems all you have to do is some scenery (and you've got a start at the mountain ;) )
keep us posted on your developments :)

cpNscale

Nov 13, 2003
Victoria BC
www.trainweb.org
The track is Atlas flex and sectional track with non insulated Shinohara switches.Which i don't really like,but as time and money become more i plan to replace the curved switchs with peco c80 curved ones.Also the 2 triple ladders in the yard are a one piece triple.So i hope i can find an insulated frog version of them.

cpNscale

Nov 13, 2003
Victoria BC
www.trainweb.org
Progress on the rails

Haven't done any huge changes but have been makeing it more user friendly when i have to reassemble it after i move.And make it easier to install insulated rail joiners.Also have installed a single crossover so i can go from outside line back to inside track without having to backup.I still need to finish the cork under the tracks but it is working great,no problems running the trains thru it.These are my Atlas #6 turnouts from my old layout.
crossover.jpg

cpNscale

Nov 13, 2003
Victoria BC
www.trainweb.org
moving along

I have made some great progress on the layout in the last few weeks,i will post some pics in the next week to come.In the mean time here is a picture of the track plan.Its a little crued trying to use Atlas RTS to duplicate the layout.But i think everyone will get the idea
layout.jpg

cpNscale

Nov 13, 2003
Victoria BC
www.trainweb.org
Changing mountians in corner

IMAGE016.jpg

I pulled the screen of the original mountains and cut new pieces of wood to support the new screen. Also added a few pieces of foam and plaster rock casting to see how it looks. And have slowly started the plaster cloth on the remainder of the mountains am trying for a large mountain region with a canyon/valley look. Plus i removed the screen from the river and srewed in a piece of plywood for my river bed,figured it would be easier to pour water on that than windows screen and plaster. Here is a link to the original mountian piece.
http://www.trainweb.org/cpnscale/river.jpg

cpNscale

Nov 13, 2003
Victoria BC
www.trainweb.org
Livesteam said:
Have you ran it yet? looks nice
Yes I have been running trains on it for about 2 months now.Been busy fixing some of the track work and getting started on the scenary now.I am waiting for the summer before i paint the rails,as the last time i tried that with an airbrush there was so much fumes from the paint,and was a little cold when i opened a window to clear the air.

cpNscale

Nov 13, 2003
Victoria BC
www.trainweb.org
Livesteam said:
whats the most you have pulled on your track?

On the hill thru the straight tunnel section is about a 2.5 to 3% grade,with 1 kato SD40 i can pull about 16 cars with minimal troubles.But if i tandem up the engines i can pull well up to 30 cars.

cpNscale

Nov 13, 2003
Victoria BC
www.trainweb.org
I have started reconstructing the corner mountain. First I have moved the supports further apart to create 2 tunnel portals coming thru a valley and then back into the mountains to complete the loop back down to the lower level. Plus I have started stacking foam insulation to make the large cliff type mountain features. Also I made a temp snow shed out of cardboard to put in the open space to see how it looks.I still need to cover the supports with screan and of course get to the plastering.
snowshed.jpg

cpNscale

Nov 13, 2003
Victoria BC
www.trainweb.org
I have finally started getting some work done on the layout. The weather is nice so i can open up the doors and windows and finally paint some track. Here are a few to see the difference between the painted and stock Atlas flex track. There also are more pictures of my progress on my web page.I have been bouncing back and forth between painting,some ballasting and plaster work.
trackpaint5.jpg

trackpaint4.jpg

cpNscale

Nov 13, 2003
Victoria BC
www.trainweb.org
Been a longtime since i have had a chance to post some new pics of my progress.I will be doing that in a few days,but had to make some track repairs in the last few days so i could run my newest loco.Mrs Clause ;) was very good to me with a Kato AC 4400 in the CP Golden Beaver colors.
AC4400.JPG

KevinC

Dec 25, 2006
The painted track looks eally good, but I have the same question. How did you clean the tracks? I'm guessing a thinner dampened rag over the tops of the rails?

cpNscale

Nov 13, 2003
Victoria BC
www.trainweb.org
I first coated the rails with air tool oil with a sponge brush.Then I air brushed the track.After the paint was allows to dry for a bit,I used paper towel and rubbed the paint and oil from the top of the rails.For the real stubborn areas such as turnouts I used a painters block woith fine side.And that cleaned all the track very well.