CP Rail Red Barns Step by Step.....and cheap!

davidmbedard

May 19, 2003
Calgary, Canada
www.davidbedard.com
Hello again fellow modelers. Here I will present to you a project that I have done before; a CP Rail SD40-2F.

Here is the goal

cp9004.jpg

Here is the starting point

projectsd402f%20001.jpg

an Altas SD60M 3 window cab and a Kaslo SD60F shell.

projectsd402f%20002.jpg

The contents of the Kaslo box is as follows:
-A high quality Cowl Shell
-High quality detail parts
-The all important instruction manual

And we are off!

projectsd402f%20003.jpg

Atlas Shell taken apart.

projectsd402f%20004.jpg

Here is the nipple they used to fill the cast. This has to be removed or it will interfere with the light board.

Notice the difference in the length of the cabs, the Atlas one a little longer.......

projectsd402f%20005.jpg

TIME TO BASH!!!!!!!!!!

This is my favorite step.

Disclaimer.....

Before attempting the next few steps, make sure you want to do this!!! There is no turning back.

Atlas Shell cut up. We will use the cab/front porch and the rear porch. Remember to save the horn on the long hood, it is a good match for the horn we need!

projectsd402f%20007.jpg

Yeh! CUT CUT CUT.....CUT up the CN unit.....BURN IT.....HAHAHA....

Just in fun guys.

Because of the brittle nature of resin, be very careful where you make your cuts. I made the cut IN FRONT OF the support in the resin shell like this......

projectsd402f%20008.jpg

Unfortunalty, I couldnt save the cab....boohoo!

And finally the parts we will use!

projectsd402f%20009.jpg

TBC....

Now we come to the most difficult part of the kitbash; making everything fit and fit strong!

Here is the rear porch cut, filed and notched to fit the rear of the resin shell

projectsd402f%20010.jpg

The battery boxes are cut so they are flush with the cab.

projectsd402f%20011.jpg

The Shell is going to be cut back according to the 'part line' on the real loco. I put a notch to show an approxamation for the filing down of the shell. This is a dicey part of the kit bash...TAKE YOUR TIME. DONT OVER CUT LIKE I DID......D'oh

projectsd402f%20012.jpg

Here is the cut for sheet stryrene that will hold the front porch to the rest of the shell.

projectsd402f%20013.jpg

here it is as assembled. I had to make this a large pic so if you want to see it, just click the link.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/davidmbedard/projectsd402f 014.jpg

Finally the kitbash is almost done. Here we have the parts refitted

projectsd402f%20015.jpg

projectsd402f%20016.jpg

Here it is beside my first loco. At this point the rood details are on.

projectsd402f%20017.jpg

projectsd402f%20018.jpg

projectsd402f%20019.jpg

tbc

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Amazing work, I really like the step by step process you show us, it's better than an article in a magazine! 2 red barns on a unit grain train are going to look real sweet! Can't wait to see them!

davidmbedard

May 19, 2003
Calgary, Canada
www.davidbedard.com
Getting closer to painting, ive decided to have a few more details on this model.

projectsd402f%20021.jpg

projectsd402f.jpg

Additions: sinclair antenae, ditchlights and new louvers on the rear hood.

The right hand door is nothing more that sheet styrene with a window made with a hobby knife

projectsd402f%20023.jpg

Ready for painting.....notice the anti glare panel on the nose. BN's is black, so I kept it. It is so difficult to paint on an antiglare panel :(

projectsd402f%20024.jpg

The unit was first painted flat black for the side sills and walkways. After that it was then masked for those areas.

And finished (almost; it has to dry overnight)

I think the sisters look good together

projectsd402f%20028.jpg

A few more pics....sorry about the last one, the lighting wasnt very good.

projectsd402f%20029.jpg

projectsd402f%20030.jpg

projectsd402f%20031.jpg

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
WOW! How many of those are you going to have on your layout? There are only 23 other road numbers left, want to make them all? Incredible work, and very nice step by step instructions. I feel like I might be able to make one of these now, (well maybe not yet!) But thanks for the article! Lets see them in action now!

C

Catt

I like it I like it. I am ordering the SD50F shell hopefully next week so that the GVR can have one,or two,or three :D

Kaslo's had announced here a year or so ago that they were doing the CP barns.I wonder what happened.

Got one question for you though,did you get your shells stateside? Or did you order them direct from Canada?

If you need more might I suggest that you try

Feather River Trainshop

nscalesteve

Apr 27, 2003
New Zealand
www.nscalecorner.com
Originally posted by Catt!
Kaslo's had announced here a year or so ago that they were doing the CP barns.I wonder what happened.
...John (from Kaslo Shops) have made the CP Redbarn kit, but exclusive for one customer only, this customer is Southern Alberta Rail, Grant Eastman and he is a Canadian custompainter who works for PWRS. the Redbarns are available from PWRS...

C

Catt

Steve,John has informed me via e-mail that
As for the SD40-2F it is possible that it would be made available on the general market starting in Feb 2004. [unquote]

I sure hope so . :D

C

Catt

No,they will be $75.00 Canadian just like the SD50/60Fs.The one you are refering to are the painted and assembled models. John will be selling just the shells.