CP Rail Prairie Mainline

CPRail

Apr 1, 2004
Brandon Manitoba Canada
Visit site
Hi everyone, i started my layout the fall of 2002. I went out and bought some lumber and started buildling my first layout on my own! when i got all the bottom layer bench work done, i started 2 lay down the bottom layer mainline and yard! It didn't take long until i realized that i needed to increase my radius in my yard and that i should try and straighten out that pesky s curve! so i spent the rest of that year rearrangeing my stageing and mainline tracks on the bottom layer! Now i have finally convinced my dad 2 let me make a lift out section in front of my door! This decsion now lets me change my layout so that my minimum radius is increased from 22" to 24" and eleminates the big loop over my bed! Here is some picts attached of my future plans and some photos of my layout about 1 month ago(no grades) and my current layout before i start tearing it up!

Attachments

• my room.jpg
    my room.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 292
  • trains1.jpg
    trains1.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 288
  • grade.jpg
    grade.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 281
  • re-finishing yard.jpg
    re-finishing yard.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 281
  • train2.jpg
    train2.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 283
F

Fred_M

Awesome work. Keep it up. Love you locos. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: FRed

Ho Modeler

Apr 6, 2004
Fox Valley
Visit site
Wow that is a great layout.
Wish my dad would let me put the layout in my room.
So until he caves or i get done with school next year and go off to college i am limited to a 4X8 in the basement. O well it will have to do.
Eric

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Wow! Now THAT'S A Bedroom!

Looks great! I love all that CP motive power. :thumb: Nice to see that you run a caboose, too.

If I may add, since you're pulling it up anyway... :confused:
Are there possible problems down the road with your chipboard sagging?

Perhaps some other Gaugers might offer advice here, as I've heard that chipboard (or pressboard) has a tendency to sag over time, whereas plywood tends to be more rigid. Maybe this possible problem can be eliminated with effective support; I don't know.

Not trying to be a wet rag, here. I'd just hate to see such an impressive start turn out frustrating for you.

F

Fred_M

Steve, my experience is it's more stable than cheap plywood(3 layer CDX), but less than good pylwood. It will be OK if you brace it every 16 to 24 inches and then cross brace it like you can see CPRail did. I personally don't like it because it's hard to drive track nails into. So is plywood, but chipboard is worse. FRED

CPRail

Apr 1, 2004
Brandon Manitoba Canada
Visit site
thanx for the comments

i don't really like working with pressboard either, i prefer to lay down my track on foam. I used the press board on my bottom layer so that it would make a good foundation for my second layer. I am going 2 be using blue foam for my base my second layer, because it is light, and is easier to work with.

yesterday i finished cutting back my return loop. Now my mainline will continue u onto a lift section, through a hole in the wall, which will connect up with the top layer.

the push pins in the pictures are where my grades and tracks are going 2 be laid

Attachments

• layout 1.jpg
    layout 1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 241
  • layout 2.jpg
    layout 2.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 237
  • layout 3.jpg
    layout 3.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 236

CPRail

Apr 1, 2004
Brandon Manitoba Canada
Visit site
what i got done 2day

hi everyone,
Here are some picts of what i all did on my long weekend!

The one pict with the grain elevator is 2 give people an idea where my top layer is going 2 be

Attachments

• layout 4.jpg
    layout 4.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 222
  • layout 5.jpg
    layout 5.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 214
  • layout 6.jpg
    layout 6.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 213
  • layout 7.jpg
    layout 7.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 215

CPRail

Apr 1, 2004
Brandon Manitoba Canada
Visit site
hi Andrew,
when i was planning my layout i didn't want 2 have 2 put up with a duckunder, so i planned my layout so that it had a loop near the door and doubled back on itself. Then about 2 weeks ago i convinced my dad 2 allow me to make part of the mainline that cross behind the door so that i would have a bigger mainline radius. i knew that duck unders were a pain in the butt, so i came up with the idea of a lift-out section, so i can still use my room!
Joel

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Looks good CPRail! About that particle board, I've heard if you paint it first, it works just fine. When you ballast the track, the water won't affect it then. The layout looks great, it reminds me of the layout I had in my parents basement, it was also HO scale. Keep up the good work!

CPRail

Apr 1, 2004
Brandon Manitoba Canada
Visit site
hi everyone! i finally relaid most of my hidden yard!! i wuz so excited that i temporarily laid down some of my mainline so i could see some trains run :D There is also one pict of one of the elevators that i scratchbuilt an extension for.
P.S. thanks for all the nice comments :thumb: i try 2 post more picts as my layout proceeds (money permitting)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 91
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg