Coupling

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
No problem doing it here as the cheaper N scale cars track much better then their HO counterparts, most likely because the difference in mass isn't as noticable in N.

dr.5euss

Sep 5, 2005
Birmingham, England
Oh right thankssign1

I'm just thinking, my model shop has 30/40 wagons, all with the Rapido coupling. If I'm going to buy all of them (in due course:D), then maybe I should stick with them?

How easy is it to change from Rapido to MicroTrains etc - does the whole truck need doing or just the coupler?

Thanks,

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
George: there are actually 3 ways to do it.
1) replace the whole truck or bogie.
2) replace the coupling in the truck with a MT.
3) chop off the coupling and mount and screw a MT to the floor.
#2 is probably the hardest and the hardest to get the bits for. (I think they make a drop in replacement, but they may not be available).
#3 may cause the car to require a larger turning radius.
I found (25 years ago when I did N) that the pinsprovided had different sizes and there was a bit of slop for the MT trucks on original pins.
My own preference is #3, but I found that some cars didn't have floors in the right place.

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
George I found the cheapest way out, if you decide to go with the Micro Train couplers, is David's suggestion #3. I use Micro Train #1015s (short shank) and screw them onto the floor of the car. The short shank gives a more prototypical look. You do need a height gage to ensure the heights are correct, most of my replacements required no shiming. If you anticipate a layout with tight radii you might have to go to the longer shank version of the MT couplers. Try a couple to check and test it out. I replaced all my Santa Fe passenger fleet (18 cars) over a period of time by using a transition car, that is one with a micro train coupler on one end and leaving a rapido coupler at the other end.