Couplers trip pin

CN1

May 6, 2003
I just bought 2 new box car and the trip pin is too low. It keeps getting snaged on the magnets or the turnouts. How do you bend them? Will a needle-nose plier work?

Thank you

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Kaddee makes a nice trip pin adjusting plier set. The lower jaw has a "U" shaped cross section, the upper jaw is a round pin. Also, the upper jaw is stepped and the lower jaw tapered so tha it will work for ho and n scales, I don't know if the largest size is for O or S. If you want to use a needle nose plier, you will need two. One grips the pin right at the base where it attaches to the nuckle, and the other one grabs near the end and then you bend the two towards each other.

CN1

May 6, 2003
Thanks a lot!

Now, what's the chance I can "brake" the couple if I use two needle-nose plier?

And should I remove the coupler from the car before?

Thanks again

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
There is a way to raise the pin using one set of needle-nose pliers. You hold them sticking straight out from the car and put one jaw on the pin where it sticks out from the top of the coupler and the other at the bottom of the pin. Then squeeze. Very gently. Oops, too far. Now use the pliers across the pin where it's bent too sharply and gently squeeze it to a wider radius.
Yeah, I can do it now without too much trouble, but I also bought the tool.
Have you checked -- Are the couplers themselves at the right height?

CN1

May 6, 2003
No! Some of them are too low! Dhu! My mistake. But some of the "trip pins" are too low

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
One trick I use on all of my Kaddees is to bend the last 1/8" or so of the trip pin up. I have all of my Kaddees set with the coupler height gauge, but since I run in a modular club, I can't count on all of the grade crossings or other hazards on other members modules being below rain height as they are supposed to be. With the very tip being bent up like a letter "J" the nose acts like a ski to lift up and over any obstruction rather than digging in and causing a derail.

Javern

Sep 5, 2003
Visit site
unless you use some sort of magnetic uncoupling device, under track or a tool what purpose are the pins? I cut mine off