Coupler problem

davidstrains

I am having a bit of a problem keeping a set of new Bachmann F7 A&B units coupled. This is the N Gauge Spectrum set. I have not converted it to MT's yet as I am working on the track and wiring right now. I am running a test train with 8 40' cars and a caboose The A unit disengages at random points around the layout. I was looking for a bump or a depression that might be causing some uneven stress but that does not seem to be the case.

When the units disconnect the coupler on the B unit is in a "raised" position and does not go down until I push it down. After a couple of minutes it goes back up. (spring problem?)

Is there anything short of changing out the couplers that I can do to keep the train connected at least until I have the time to install the MT's?

Thanks.

Clerk

David.
I to baught a pair of F7's A & B units. They keep coming uncoupled at random. I got so discusted I changed all the couplers to MT and haven't had any problem since.:D
If you want to keep running them, you may consider dropping everything and consentrate on changing those couplers.

Whenever I buy a engine or car, If it isn't equiped with Mt couplers, I change them immediately. A few years ago when I first started my first layout, everything had repido couplers. I got so fed up that I changed to MT and have had very little trouble since then.
By the way I work in "N" scale. The best.

davidstrains

Hi Clerk

Originally posted by Clerk

............I changed all the couplers to MT and haven't had any problem since.:D
If you want to keep running them, you may consider dropping everything and consentrate on changing those couplers.

What M-T coupler did you use. I like that option, it just wasn't a good time since I am trying to wire the layout now. But if it isn't too much of a project I may just take a break and do the conversion so I can run a test train or two. I have a pair of Atlas GP-7s that are MT equipped and they work fine, as do the Kato Mike's. I should probably convert my 2-8-0s while I am at it. Do it once and get it out of the way.

Clerk

David.
I used the 1015/16 Coupler. Actually, a long time ago I baught a package of MT coupler kits (a package that has about 200 different parts for various couplers) and can assemble different types as needed. I haven't seen this kit in quite a while. I came across it in a model store up in Washington state. I am pretty sure the 1015/16 will work.

davidstrains

Dick,

Thanks for the information, I am off to the LHS tomorrow to pick up a couple sets of the 1015/1016 couplers. I guess I should also check the MT website for the couplers for the Consolidation tender conversion. I might as well do them all at one time and save the hassle later.

thanks again. I'll let you know how it turns out.

:) :)

Pooh Bah
David:
You could make a start by just converting the inside ends of the units. Is the B a dummy? If it is, you then have a converter car.
There might be a flash or spring problem in the rapido coupler. I don't know how the spectrum couplings work -- I'm thinking of what they used 20 years ago.

davidstrains

Hi David,

In the Spectrum set both the A and B units are powered. I have made up 2 converter cars out of a couple of older box cars that I have had for years. I bought a package of the trucks and couplers while I was out in Seattle and converted 10 cars with that package. I still have 40 more cars to go, but as I said before I am still trying to finish the wiring. The purpose of running the F7 set was to put a couple of trains on the track to check out both the trackwork and the wiring progress in DC mode.

I'll check for flash but I don't remember seeing any. I do think it is the spring on the B unit. The coupler when disconnected from the A points up at an angle. I have tried to force it down and it will stay for a while and then disconnect again.

Tonight I just wired the couplers together with a single strand of wire that I took out of a 2" length of stranded #18. Keeps them together forever.:D :D

wendell

Dave if the ab units are comming uncoupled can you install a draw bar between the two units I did this on two atlas gp 30's Idon't know if you can on the spectrum. the couplers on the gp 30 is held in with a clip. Wendell

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Sounds like N scale.....I remember the MT coupler number.
Now working in Ho I have found that though the Bachman E-Z Mate coupler connects with the KD's, pulling long trains they tend to part. Solution:Junk the E-Z Mates, replace with KD. No problems since.