Coupler lift bar question - help!

spitfire

I need information on coupler lift bars as I am planning to model a pair of AAR 40' boxcars with full detailing, Canadian National circa 1954.

I've noticed some prototypes with chain running from the bar, which is above the coupler pin - those seem to be mainly wood boxcars, but I'm not sure.

Are there lots of different styles out there, and if so, what did CNR use?

Did they have them on both ends, or just one?

Was the ladder cut off or shortened to accommodate the lift bar?

And one more question about hoses - how many and where do they go?

Thanks in advance folks!! I've been having trouble finding this information.

Val

neilmunck

I can't help you with all of them but here's what I know:

Coupler lift bars at both ends.

It seems that all cars had a chain connecting the arm on the coupler lift bar to the pin on the coupler itself. The shape of the bar seems to vary depending on the geometry of the car.

All the bars I have seen were hung from the bottom of the car body at the outside of the car so they do not conflict with the ladders. They onlt go to one side of the car - unlike locomotive uncoupling levers.

HOses - on most freight cars there is one hose, the brake line that is hung on the right of the coupler as you look at the end of the car. It frequently has an inwards tilt so the glad hand is under the centreline of the coupler. This makes it easier to couple the two glad hands together.

Cars that were used at the head of passenger trains (e.g. express reefers) also had a signal line and a steam heating line for the passenger coaches behind it. I don't know where they went but I would imagine on the oposite side from the brake line.

Hope this helps,
Neil

Pooh Bah
Val:
based on my memories of 50 years ago (!), I think that most of the cut levers went above the coupling. Some went under; a lot of the diesels went under with handles on both sides. I found a picture of a freight car mounted under.
The handle came out to the side -- the corner with the ladders or left as you look at it. The end ladder only came down to the floor level, no step under it, so the lever was clear.
I still don't understand how the bottom mounted levers work.

NYC-BKO

Here's a end shot from a car built in that era, unfortunately it's buried in the ground, ran off the track.
nyc163998alb.jpg

hope this helps.

spitfire

Thanks for you help folks! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Cid, that is quite the website - spent a lot of time pouring thru the many photo's there and downloaded several.

Neil, I think the chain version is older as I seem to see it only with wooden boxcars. Now that would be really cool to model!

David, that information about the ladders is invaluable - I was wondering whether I should trim them and now I have my answer.

Nice close-up detailed shot Brian. At least the relevant parts are clearly visible.

Also thanks to Brakie, who answered all my many other questions in the chat last night. I now have all the info I need to make a highly detailed boxcar. :) :) :)

Val

jon-monon

Val - you might see if you can get ahold of a rollin' stock (car builders?) cyclopedia. I've seen the real ones listed for little more than a modelers cyclopedia, and I would go for the real thing. Tons of info there.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Val...

Jeff (of my local train shop www.larkspurline-trains.com ) had a book on CN boxcars up on ebay not that long ago. Maybe you can still find a copy. SImilar to jon's suggestion.

I also have a few of the series on boxcars that RMC ran last year. Luckily, it includes the "CN" issue, so I'll look that up for you tonight, and see if I can get a copy in the snail mail for you.

Andrew