Cost????

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
I'm wondering how much a rail road pays for a new engine? Or for that matter what engines and locos have cost through the years to buy new????

Rick

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
The Tennessee Central payed $104,940 in 1948 for each of their Baldwin DRS-4-4-1000s. At the same time Alco quoted prices of $197,000 for a PA-1 and $148,000 for an FA-1 or RS-2. In 1966 the Baldwins were traded in to Alco and netted a trade allowance of $16,500 each.

In 1950 they purchased two new Alco RS-3s at a cost of $148,884.43 each. In 1963 they purchased three new Alco RS-36s at a cost of $177,816.82 each. In 1966 they purchased three secondhand Reading RS-3s through Alco for $21,507.34 each.

Source: Tennessee Central Railway History, Locomotives, and Cars by Cliff Downey, 2005.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Some of the history websites on various steam locomotives list the original prices paid by the railroads. One Shay site shows prices in the 12K to 20K price range back at the turn of the 20th century.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
i wonder how much one of the new GE "evolution" locos is,but when C&O bought nes GP-7's they paid around 180,000 for them,but todays engines i guess in the millions.--josh

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
$2.5Million for a new GE or EMD High Horsepower road unit.

WOW!!!,i wonder what it would cost to buy an old worn out unit of any type,maybe from a scap yard and get it runnin,i could have a full scale backyard railroad on 7 acres! :D --josh

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
bigsteel said:
WOW!!!,i wonder what it would cost to buy an old worn out unit of any type,maybe from a scap yard and get it runnin,i could have a full scale backyard railroad on 7 acres! :D --josh
I wish I had the acrage to do that.
I keep thinking about getting my hands on an old switcher engine and running it around.

The things we'd do if we won the lottery. :D

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
Cannonball said:
I wish I had the acrage to do that.
I keep thinking about getting my hands on an old switcher engine and running it around.

The things we'd do if we won the lottery. :D

I bet Deano is the most likley of all of us to actualy aquire a real train engine!

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
actually,in the back of model railroader there is a guy selling old cabooses for 1800 a peice.but if i could come up with 2800 without selling the house i could buy an old switch engine from CSX.they have it stowed away in a shed all alone....anyway id love to have my own personal RR with that thing on it.--josh

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
In 1952 the TTC wanted to buy more streetcars to replace the last of their wooden cars. They were quoted a price around $50,000 per PCC. At the time a lot of American streetcar systems were being abolished and used cars were purchased for a very reasonable amount. TTC had the largest fleet of used PCC cars in North America. (In 1959 my father bought his house for $15,000; we just sold it for $240,000.)

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
Well the Lower Burrell Short Line bought their first steamer for around $25.00. Since steam was well into the diesel years this was considered a bargin.

48 years later the LBSL was bought out many years ago by the Somerset County Short Line which finaly replace that steamer with a new Mikado for $350.00. Later that same year they bought their first of two disels for $270.

OH your talking about the real ones. :) :) :) :)

Hey I'm just in a good spirit. Our girls just won round one of the WPIAL playoffs. A weird one at that with them winning by one point. I foul shot with ZERO time on the clock. The first time I ever saw a foul called after the buzzer too. :) The other team had a long ride back to the Pittsburgh area tonight.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
CNWman said:
I bet Deano is the most likley of all of us to actualy aquire a real train engine!
:eek: :eek: :eek: ROFL!!!!!sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1 CRIPES!, i thank you for the comment:thumb:, but i AM FAR FROM RICH ENOUGH TO GET AN ENGINEsign1. Sure, i am VERY FORTUNATE to have a GOOD JOB:thumb:, but truth is, i don't even own a house:eek:ops:, heck, i am just renting a small 2 Bdrm apartment and my son lives with me full time. BUT HEY, CNWman, i WOULD LOVE to have a UP SD70ACe!!!:D:D:D MANY things can be taken away from us, but they cant take our dreams;). THANKS!, again for the comment CNWman:thumb:. :D -Deano

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
There are a lot of old loco's, steam and diesel, sitting around rusting because people bought them for cheap but found how much it costs to get one into operational shape.
Steam especially can run into hundreds of thousands of dollars due to asbestos mitigation and complying with state and federal boiler regulations.

Torpedo

Jan 20, 2007
bigsteel said:
actually,in the back of model railroader there is a guy selling old cabooses for 1800 a peice.but if i could come up with 2800 without selling the house i could buy an old switch engine from CSX.they have it stowed away in a shed all alone....anyway id love to have my own personal RR with that thing on it.--josh
A few years ago, the Narrow Gauge And Shortline Gazette ran an article about a guy that built his own railroad on his property, which IIRC was in MO. The railroad ran from his house/shop area back into the woods, where he logged a little timber. The logs were hauled back to a sawmill near the house. As I recall, he built the loco himself.

Unfortunately, I somehow lost that issue of the mag, so I can't drag it out and verify any of this. Anway, I have always thought doing something like that would be neat, and I have enough land, but sadly lack the machine shop skills needed to build a loco.

hooknlad

Mar 28, 2005
Woodbridge, NJ USA
Howdy again all -I have this friend who is a broker of old Loco engines - Depending on the research and condition of the Unit, He pays anywhere from $20 k to $30 k each. He throws a simple paint job on them with his logo, has a 3rd party do maintenance on them, then leases them out to small distribution yards for $4k a month.. He currently has 10 of these leases in operation, and about 8 Track Mobiles. I was asked if I want in on his very profitable Railroad Empire. Once I move to Iowa, My CFO ( wife) will Ok the deal. So RR tycooning here I come..
Great Question Rick !!!!

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
hooknlad said:
Howdy again all -I have this friend who is a broker of old Loco engines - Depending on the research and condition of the Unit, He pays anywhere from $20 k to $30 k each. He throws a simple paint job on them with his logo, has a 3rd party do maintenance on them, then leases them out to small distribution yards for $4k a month.. He currently has 10 of these leases in operation, and about 8 Track Mobiles. I was asked if I want in on his very profitable Railroad Empire. Once I move to Iowa, My CFO ( wife) will Ok the deal. So RR tycooning here I come..
Great Question Rick !!!!
Wow.... I would love to get in on something like that.
Where was he when I moved out of Iowa 7 years go?

hooknlad

Mar 28, 2005
Woodbridge, NJ USA
He was there all along? I need to get the heck out of this Taxing State called NJ and be able to Purchase a home in Iowa with the equity made in NJ - LOL
$6000 a year for taxes on a 50*100 lot witha 2 bedroom ranch in NJ.. IN IA , A 4 Bedroom colonial on 5 acres, taxes $2250.. The NJ house was bought at $85k and can be sold tomorrow for $400K.. The House in IA im looking at, $160K.. So you can see I will have a ton of purchase power to move in on the RR business..
What's with the taxes in NJ anyhow while the state is like $10billion in the hole?? Alledgedly the state ( NJ ) has a great economy...

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
jasbourre said:
Here in Sudbury Ontario, INCO (a minning comp) wanted new slag cars, so they posted in the news paper Free Used Slag Cars. The catch was you had to find a way to take them home.
No problem!
Hook them up to the trailer hitch and we're all set!

:D