Cost of Mags in Canada

Was in one of the big box lumber stores this morning and ran into a fellow modeler who was not happy. He advises that he was just down the road at a book store and looking at the model railroad magazines and thinking of purchasing one when he noticed the price: US $4.99 Canadian $6.99 ?? He is wondering why we in Canada with the value of the Canadian dollar higher ( today $1.05 ) are paying two dollars more ?? He also advised that he noticed last month that there are no subscription slips that are stuffed into the magazines. When he looked into getting a subscription they advised him that he would have to pay the higher Canadian price on the subscription also ??? to have it delivered here in Canada.. Obviously he did not get a subscription or buy the magazines as I am sure many other Canadians have noticed this also and stopped purchasing the magazines.
As I do not get neither of the two MR or MRC I did not notice this, I advised him to do as I do, being fortunate to be so close to the USA border we have a US postal box just across the line and I get my Narrow Guage Gazette for the US price sent there. Just renewed my subscription so I obtained US funds here in Canada and forwarded a money order from the US.
Just for interest I just e mailed MR as well as MRC and asked about this, will be interested in seeing what their reply is.. Ron..

bill937ca

I won't be surprised if MR and RMC aren't really aware of the difference. Wal-Mart has announced that they will start selling magazines at the US dollar cover price.

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
The extra cost is to cover the expense of mailing across the boarder. It probably cost more than that so in fact your cost should go up.

Vendors have just been charging the wrong price for years. :cool:

That sound good enough for me. What do I know, I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express.

galt904

Not true. They all go across the border in a truck, than get distributed and mailed out by Canada Post. Not $2 more per mag at all. But what do I care, I refuse to buy overpriced stuff like that. :)

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Until recently, I always bought back issues from the local club or LHS for $0.25 to $0.50 (CAN) each. That way, I'd get a whole year for the price of the current month's issue. This year, I have been "indulging" a little more and buying some right off the newstand.

If I was to invest in a subscription, I think I would choose RMC or even stay totally Canadian and go for Canadian Railway Modeller.

Andrew

rlundy90

I agree with Galt904. I buy stuff off ebay all the time. Postage is pretty much the same in the US as when it is shipped to Canada. I think it is just the publishers trying to make a quick buck off of us Canadians. They are the ones that print the prices on the magazines.They are also the ones who won't lower prices to Canadian distributors.Walmart is probably buying at the US prices and shipping them here whereas hobby stores and small outlets have to buy from the Canadian distributors at Canadian issue price.There is no way it costs $2.00 more per mag to get them to Canada. If that was the case subscriptions to Alaska and Hawaii should be double the Canadian rate but this doesn't seem to be the case.At any rate it seems if you want the mag you have to pay the price whatever that is.Probably cheaper now to buy off the rack at Wallmart than to get a subscription. Ron.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
The price difference made sense when CAN$1 = US$0.80 or less, but now that CAN$1 = US$1.05+, I think you'll find manufacturers coming up with all kinds of different excuses as to why the price has to be higher. Remember that the high dollar is really only a recent thing, so it may take a while for them to adjust (or get the message from consumers ;)).

Andrew

bill937ca

Magazines like MR and RMC have long lead times. When you get the November issue in your hands, the December issue is already at the printer and January is close to going to the printer. Exchange rates often move rapidly. Even if MR and RMC were aware of the jump in the CDN dollar I doubt if they would have been able to change their covers by this date.