Cortina 1600E

Discussion in 'Commercial & Civilian Vehicles' started by Gearhead, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gearhead

Gearhead New Member

Hi,

I have enjoyed reading the Forums and would like to contribute to the Car Forum as there do not seem to be so many people out there building cars.

I am working on a Ford Cortina 1600E, one of my favourites from the 60s / 70s. I am building this in AnimationMaster for export to Pepakura. The problem is that I am a complete beginner in AnimationMaster and a non-beginner in Pepakura, so it will be a while before the test build is ready.

The Cortina is a nice boxy shape so I am hoping that Pepakura will not have a problem with it. If it does I can box it up a bit more and camouflage in Photoshop. There are a few cars in the pipeline from this era if the build goes OK.

Look forward to seeing other builds / ideas here.

Thanks,

Gearhead

Attached Files:

2. Clashster

Clashster Member

Gotta wish you good luck with this! I am always on the lookout for a realistic car! Looking forward with great interest to see this one develop! Thanks for sharing! Chris
  3. shrike

shrike Guest

Can I put in a request? Can you do 2 door as well to match the ones in my driveway?
  4. Gearhead

Gearhead New Member

Hi

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately it will be a little slow as I am still learning how AnimationMaster and Pepakura interface. But a bit at a time is part of the learning curve and will set the stage for other models.

The side 4 door / top roto is in fact is in fact the only rotos I have for the 4 door. All other rotos are for a 2 door 67 Cortina, so a 2 door should be pretty easy to adapt after everything lines up.

The Cortina is interesting as it was very popular in Europe and had a very successful racing / rally career - not to mention the V6 Savages and the Cortina Estates. Once the mesh / patch model works it should be easy to adapt to all. The '68 London to Sydney Marathon Cortina would be a good one.

Of course, the first one has to work.....

Gearhead
  5. Bad_Scorpion

Bad_Scorpion Member

Nice choice of car. Definitely something different. I'll be waiting for this one.
  6. shrike

shrike Guest

If you need any quick research done, let me know. I think that I have owned, parted out or at least accounted for a statistically significant percentage of North America's allotment of MkII's.

While the 1600E never made it here by that name, the last GT's incorporated the wood interior parts, the extra trim and such
  7. Gearhead

Gearhead New Member

Hi

Thanks for your comments.

Shrike - thanks for your offer of assistance. I know that the US models had grille differences over the UK/ Euro models, so I would like to check with you re. the US models as things progress. Are the Mk II s still around and available?

I used to own a '71 Cortina GT in college in Australia - last of the Mk. II Cortinas with a 1600 X-Flow engine w/ Weber 2-BBL. It was a (very) well used example bought for $999 , but very dependable and provided very reliable transport during the week and on Saturday nights. My GT was Metallic Blue w/ Silver hood paint outs and a factory Beige vinyl roof, which in my wisdom I decided to paint black as I badly wanted a UK 1600E replica - but I only had enough vinyl paint for half the roof. I figured depending upon how I parked it, it could have the factory beige roof, OR a smart black one, as you could only see one side at a time, anyway. In reality of course it looked like complete crap. As added entertainment, only 2nd and 4th gear worked, so pulling away from the lights was fun.

Otherwise the engine never missed a beat and I am pretty sure that after a cooling system flush and some regular maintenance I could have driven it across Australia after graduation. A black interior w/ no A/C across the desert seemed kind of asking for trouble, though.

Anyway, they are nice cars. I plan to make Rostyles as well as the more common dish caps / wheels. Also should not forget the famous Mk. II Lotus Cortinas.

I had better shut up / put up now and get this thing built. I will post progress pics for anyone who is interested.

Gearhead
  8. Gearhead

Gearhead New Member

Hi,

Well, I said I was slow at this, so no surprises there. I had to redo the mesh several times, but is it coming along. The body is mostly complete, but now some details and tacking it together. Here is one of the completed Rostyles that the 1600Es featured. Hopefully things will progress a little faster - the Interceptor is already done...!:(

Gearhead

Attached Files:

9. shrike

shrike Guest

The grilles changed a little bit to reflect US standards for turn signals, but not that much.
    1968 had the turn signals separated from the parking lights and moved to "lollipop' lights on the grille. It was an ugly stopgap fix and easy to reverse. 1969 and 70 had the lamps moved to the fascia beneath bumper. In all cases the actual central grille panel is the same.

View attachment 7440

My 68 GT with earlier lamps and grill painted in the Lotus fashion which looks better and hides minor flaws

Attached Files:

10. Gearhead

Gearhead New Member

Hi Shrike,

Nice 68 - I like the alloys. The UK / AUS cars had the standard grille.

I have had to start the model over yet again due to more mesh issues. Each time I get something right, I also apply it to the 2 door model I have going. The 2 door and 4 door models will be ready some time around 2010.....

Question: Is it better to decal models in the design phase (then unfold / print), or paint in Photoshop after unfolding?

Thanks,

Gearhead
  11. KMSullivan

KMSullivan New Member

Cortina

Cortina's were, reportedly, great little cars. My Father rented one for a vacation trip long ago; he was sad that he had to return it!

KMS
  12. Zathros

Zathros Guest

These were great little are. Please don't dig up old dead threads like this, (of course if you actually had a Cortina model that would be different) .

It's called "Necreposting" and it's frowned upon. These old posts are here for archival and reference. Thanks :)
  13. Rigobert

Rigobert New Member

uuuh, the wonderful Cortina, I'm impressed :)
  14. david lake

david lake Member

Wonderful looking vehicle :cool:. I had countless toy cars when i was a young lad, and i had lots of this particular vehicle in various colours. I wish i still had them now, i imagine they would be collectable. Hope to see this design of yours finished one day.
  15. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Thread Closed! Read the post date before you post. It's been dead for 5 years!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.