Corsair F4U-1D DeWaynes models

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by barry, Nov 15, 2004.

1. barry

barry Active Member

Hi All

Needed to go back to 1/33 again so here I am building airplanes again or trying anyway.

Started with the cockpit interior not excessively detailed but I am sure someone with the right knowledge could add more. I inadvertently printed the sheet with the fuselage outer skin on thin paper which turned out rather well because I used it as template to make sure the final cardboard skin would fit, as it happened it fitted like a glove.

Pity I can't say the same for the pics !!

For those who are experts in aircraft building I apologise for the level of builder this is aimed at.

barry
  2. jrts

jrts Active Member

Way to go Barry

Great start mate, you never know with us doing the aircraft it might just prompt some others to do the same so we can go back to ships :twisted:
    They are dam good models for the price.

Great stuff, more when you can

Rob
  3. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Nice one, Barry! :D

Great job on the cockpit details.
    Only one problem...not enough photos. :lol:

I know, we're a demanding bunch, but you already knew that. :lol:

Looking forward to more!

Cheers!

Jim
  4. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

That is such a fascinating aircraft, and I'll be thrilled to see how it grows! - L.
  5. barry

barry Active Member

Corsair rear fuselage

Hi All

A couple of steps forward with the model and hopefully a large leap in the photographs apparently my camera is highly susceptable to backgrounds and light levels at the time the pic is taken Blue is OK during the day but I have to switch to white for the flash (useless info really).Thanks for the hints DeWayne

Well so far it fits together well I will have to do abit of camoflaging on the join of the cockpit top and the rear fuselage it's a tad too much material and does not fight absolutely tight down, but that could easily be down to me.

I am guessing at how to build the tail end but I assume I build the former and put a hole in the horizontal part to pull it into place, thankfully I can always print another.

Touble is I am getting carried away with this plane it has always been one of my favourites.

barry
  6. Jim Krauzlis

Now that's a great set of photos, Barry...you have to share the secrets DeWayne told you, mate. :lol: My problem is getting things properly focused on the close-ups (and it does have the close up feature, but it still has trouble focusing, apparently).

The model looks fantastic! The new photographs show up your work so much better, mate!

Looking forward to more when you can.

Cheers!

Jim
  7. barry

barry Active Member

Corsair tail hook bay

Hi

Well just when you think you've got it cracked you make a mess of it the tail hook bay is difficult, I think a diagram of how it should be put together would be a big help DeWayne.

Anyway having tried to marry up the tail section to the main body I realised I should have made a butt joint so I tried to change it but I had mangled it too much. So on to drastic measures I sanded down the offending bumps and then covered the resulting mess with a thin paper printout and put a couple of dabs of paint on, it does not look too bad now.

So my advice is build this part of the plane first and I think a butt joint is easier here. The other thing is build the fuselage first and add the well after. Part 21 is not a lot of help I will leave it out next time, it leaves a ridge if you are not very careful.

barry
  8. barry

barry Active Member

Next mistakes

Hi All

I had intended to go back to Fuso tonight but decided to finish the fuselage.

Viewed side on it looks quite reasonable however the cowl has some problems caused by inexperience there is a gap at the lower centreline of about 1/4 inch in the front 2 sectons of the cowling, very simply the green inner skin of the cowling needs to be formed before insertion into the main cowl.

I did not do that so I have decided that the easiest way for me to do the job is to build the three cowling sections and join them up with 20 gsm paper then form the inner lining and dry fit that after, making sure it fits then glue the inner tabs and insert it last of all.

Great thing is I can build a 100 of these until I get it right I love downloads and CD's and DeWayne does say you need experience.

I have a question for the flyboys do you score the fitting strips or not I found when I had scored them everthing was too floppy to glue to. So come on fellas tell the old idiot how it is done properly or I shall keep showing all my cockups so there.

The radial engine is crying out for some copper pipes etc to make a great looking job.

And for the money this is a great model even with me building it

barry
  9. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Scoring the joining strips? Not on regular sections, where the bend isn't too marked. Actually, you don't want to have a marked bend at such joints at all, do you. That's where the paper model construction technique shows most clearly.

In fact, I really never understood why designers make joining strips continuous on the one end and tabbed at the other (oh, I do understand the logic of it, but I think that logic is wrong).

I even think Ron, in his thread on joining techniques, advocated making your own joining strips, and as far as I remember they weren't tabbed in his photographs. Good for him, I should say.

On the cowling, though, where you wish to effect a compound curve (or as close to it as possible), I would absolutely consider shaping (still not scoring, though!) tabs with the old knitting needle. Here, there's clearly a need for tabs. (I'm not totally dense.)

Come to think of it, I'll make a point of not cutting out the tabs the next time I encounter them, just to put my money where my mouth just has been! Thanks for raising the issue - and the Corsair is coming along nicely, isn't it.

Leif
  10. barry

barry Active Member

Leif

Thanks for the info Leif I am enjoying building the Corsair as long as I can go on correcting the errors it should look good when it's finished.

barry
  11. barry

barry Active Member

Corsair nose

Hi

The pictures of the cowl are last nights fiasco and the latest one.

This time I tried the build butt jointing the 3 rings that make up the extreme nose end, just sticking about 10 degrees at a time. Then liberally coated the back of the unit with white pva for strength.

Built the large section of cowl using the inner tab structure but cutting off the tabs after the first section of the nose ring and this way it went on fairly easily.

At least it looks like a cowl this way.

barry
  12. barry

barry Active Member

Corsair tail

Hi

More groans added the tail planes and fin still got to glued in place parts fit well.

I got fed up and reskinned the fuselage behind the cockpit as well. It seems to look better.

It's beginning to look like a Corsair at least.

Just started on the wing cranked section I think I have figuredout how to fit the wing internal boxes.

If you look in the forum you will find one by Damraska which shows what this model can look like.

barry
  13. Jim Krauzlis

Good show, Barry! :D

Very nice work on the cowel...I just hope when I take a stab at one of this things that move in the air I'm able to make it look a third as good.

She is coming along beautifully...superb fuselage!

Keep the photos coming, please.

Cheers,

Jim
  14. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Tail looks much, much better.
    Aren't the CDs great, or what?! :D

Keep it going, mate.
    between you and Rob I got finally fed up with just watching people build models and have to do some buildin of my own :wink:

Of course getting a job that doubled my salary and cut 75% out of my commute helped too :D
  15. barry

barry Active Member

Michael

Congratulations on your new job !!

Now we can bully you unmercifully

Another couple of planes well maybe more and I will have to try your black widow model I have been drooling over that one for a long time.

barry
  16. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

If you just could bully my kids to go to bed earlier - this would help tremendously :wink:
    P-61 is a very nice model to drool over :D :D
  17. barry

barry Active Member

Wing root

Hi

Not exactly the easiest wing root section to build but interesting probably apply the rules of CD's have another go. Not glued until I can match the root on the other side.

barry
  18. barry

barry Active Member

Wing roots

Hi

Well you should not have to suffer for too long now at least it's sitting straight on the oleos. The second wing root went together a lot more smoothly than the first just goes to show experince counts I suppose.

I have the feeling this one will have folded wings

I seem to have lost a cylinder somewhere as well

barry
  19. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Barry

It does look very good, its amazing where those little bits go :?
    This bird would look great with its wings folded up and all the detail of the roots showing :D

Keep at it mate

Rob
  20. barry

barry Active Member

Wings

Hi

Nearly there got to think now about fabricating a transparent canopy and of course the last bits like a prop and the touching up and filling etc. I can always buy a ready made canopy if it's unsuccessful

In the end I decided the wings up position had a pretty weak joint it could have been fixed with a couple of wire sway bars but I got idle.(see the reference site)

It will be a while now to any other pics. Sighs of relief allround.

However bad my build was to my unskilled eye it looks like a Corsair at least. Thanks DeWayne it was fun and well worth the build I found a good reference site to help me get the arrester hook somewhere near right.

http://www.thefreedomeagle.com/f4uphotos.html

It has some really good close ups for anyone in the mood for a bit of superdetailing.

barry