corrugated steel building

Iles

Oct 25, 2006
Springfield, IL
I am planning a small car shop and would like to find a kit that uses corrugated steel panels....if I can't find a kit, does anyone know if you can purchase panels of this type for scratch building? Any links or help is greatly appreciated!

N

nachoman

i saw some streamer type material for sale at a party supply store that would make good corrugated metal.

kevin

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
I don't remember where I saw it, but I think it was one of our fellow posters who used old discarded computer ribbon cables to simulate corrugated building siding-- Works very well!

I'd give that a try. Grab some old floppy disk drive or hard disk drive ribbon cables that are no longer being used, cut them up into siding panels, and walla!

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Tom is right. It was here on the Gauge some time ago that one of our members showed how he built this structure of computer cables. It looked great.

If this method proves not to be right for you, you find corrugated plastic and metal sheets of various manufacturers at Walther’s.

EngineerKyle

Oct 3, 2005
Troy MI
Also,

If you look around you'll find that cardboard comes in a finely corrugated size. I got a whole bunch of it from non-standard, thin flouresent tubes, Just paint it silver and it looks more like metal that metal!

akp.sized.jpg

ail.sized.jpg

I don't have a pic of one of my aluminum panels, but it looks pretty good to my eye.

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
Like Engineer Kyle said, the cardboard works great. And its easier to find that cut that you think. Do you ever get a starbucks cofee? You know that thing they put around the cup? Peeeerfect! I always snag those when I can.

Gotta love free

Play-Doh

slagpot

Jul 11, 2006
Beaufort,SC
Folks I have a sure fire way to make tons of the structure covering . If you have a freind/buddy/ someone whos getting rid of a big screen TV. Before they cart this TV off to the dump,snag it. The protective screen that goes over the projection screen is a piece of 3' X4' scratch builders corrugated metal very close to HO scale if not dead on it. I have a ton of this stuff,collected from my job.

I'll take a picture of it today and post some.

Patrick
Beaufort,SC
Dragon River Steel Corp {DRSC}

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
Doc Holliday said:
I think that they're great, only thing wrong is the price my LHS sells them for.
Here's a pic of a Campbell's Idaho Mine Kit covered with them.
Doc
adj.sized.jpg

Hey Doc, what is your local shop? Roger's in Lodi?

Tom

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
Happy Thanksgiving Tom,

Yeah, Roger's in Lodi is the only "LHS" around, now that the tiny little train shop in Pacific Bowl has gone out of business. Only Roger's isn't Roger's anymore. He expanded it into the space next door, mostly for radio controlled cars and then sold it about a year ago. Appears everything else is the same, just new owners. I occassionally (1-2 per year) get up to Bruce's in Sacramento. Where to you shop?
Doc

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
I *usually* shop E-bay, but when I buy locally, I hit Roger's (or Railroad Junction now I suppose it's called). I've always really enjoyed the shop and Roger and Nancy are great people. His prices are a little steep usually, but when he would have a sale, it was a good one. And since I live on West Lane near Swain, it's just a hop down the road for me to go into Lodi. I just went there last week for the first time in 3 years and the lady that runs it now seems really personable and the selection is even better now. I haven't bought much lately, because working on the real things all the time, you get kind of burned out, but I had also been buying a lot (usually on order) from the museum in Portola since I am working up there so often and I get a great discount.

Alicia bought some scenery stuff at RR Junction last week for her little church diorama for the new layout when we went, but I didn't buy anything. Alicia couldn't believe it.

I don't like Bruce's at all. My brother in law and I went there once and he is a career Conductor and I am a career Engineer/Brakeman/Switchman/Conductor and now trainer and a life long model railroader, and when I was looking at one of the layout displays there, I guess I got too close for the guys behind the counter to it (I never touched anything though) and they both started yelling at us and asked us to leave. Really rude and arrogant. I was having a bad day anyway as my daughter had just died that morning, and Alicia was in the hospital in bad shape, and Mike and I had stopped in there to pick up some magazines to take back to the hospital and get some lunch at the shopping center there. We popped in mainly to relax for a minute and try to take our minds off Jacque, but after that, we left and I will never return. THe previous time, I called there to see if they had any left of the resin WP/CCT hoppers they had made and the guy was really rude said "Come up here and look" and hung up. Apparently they don't want my business, not if they are going to treat me like a grabby little kid and run me off. To hell with them, Railroad Hobbies in Roseville and Railroad Junction in Lodi are much better shops in my opinion anyway.

What part of Stockton are you in?

Tom