Correct Coupler

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
I have come into possession of a set of Rivarossi "1930's" passenger cars. They look great and will look even better on my layout.

One problem. They have horn-hook couplers on them and I can't replace them with Kadee # 5's as there is a long shank on the installed couplers.

What do you recommend I get as replacements? I think I have seen something in an MR or RMC ad, but I sure can't remember when or where:D

Any ideas from the gallery out there would be most appreciated :confused:

Thanks

Bob

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Bob:
Check www.kadee.com and look at the conversions section.
They make special conversion bolsters for Rivarossi passenger trucks. I never tried them myself.
If your minimum radius is big enough, you might think of body mounting them -- use a long coupler like a #6. If you go under 24" (or maybe 30") you'll probably want the truck mounts.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Visit site
Radial Railway

Thought no one would ever ask.
Radial Railway was the Ontario term for an interurban line (light electric railway between towns). They were called that because they radiated out from the cities.
Most of them were encouraged or built by the provincial electric company (Ontario Hydro) which was very visionary.
The local streetcar museum lies on the tracks of one of these and calls itself Halton County Radial Railway.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Visit site
Bob:
Just saw an ad (July Railroad Model Craftsman) from McHenry showing their Rivarossi conversion couplings -- look as if you wouldn't need the extra bolster. Seem to have 4 types in their 50 series.
Don't know how you feel about McHenery...

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Thanks David. I saw that ad too and I don't know how I feel about McHenry couplers either:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Since I am really in no hurry I think I'll pick up some McHenry's next time I'm in the big city and see how good/bad they are. I can always fall back on Kadee!!

Bob