Cork roadbed widness

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
Recently I received my "Midwest" cork raodbed from 4nscale.com.
The height looks o.k., but isn't this roadbed to wide for N-scale or am I missing something ?

Paul

sapacif

Jun 3, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Visit site
Check your prototype roadbed. There are cross-section drawings available on the web, somewhere. Also, I would say that, in general, the roadbed will take up about twice the space you allotted. If you look at any prototype, it is really very wide. In modeling, I think the extra width/shape is made with the ballast itself.

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Roadbed...

...cork or otherwise...

I see trains running on track and roadbed burried in mud. While structural engineers have designed and calculated the liveweight to mass ratios and forces acting upon railroad roadbed I think as modelers we acccept what looks right.

You didn't receive HO roadbed did you?

Mark:confused:

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
Thanks for the reply's,
Mark the cork I received is N-scale 1" 1/8 wide, 1/8" thick. But with a tie width of approx 5/8" it looks overkill to me.
I used to build a diorama and on that one I cut the cork from sheets myself just a bit broader the the tie width and this looks more prototypical than the "Midwest" product after balasting.

Paul

SD70BNSF

Aug 11, 2003
St. Louis, MO
Visit site
I think I see

I think I see... I thought 3/4" was a bit too thin (at least looking at my own track samples and a ruler). But, by keeping the base less wide, you'll be able to profile the ballast to look the same, it'll just take a little more ballast.

I assume you figured out the cost per foot or inch is less than say Midwest's products.

Thanks.

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
The cost per foot is alot less! This cork was $6 per foot, and the roll was 4' wide, so at 3/4" wide, I got 16 peices of 4' long roadbed for $6! It works out to 10 cents a strip, and that's for a 4' strip not 30". I'll spend a bit more on ballast, but it will still be much cheeper.