Corel Draw help needed

Discussion in 'Software' started by Atomsk, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Atomsk

Atomsk Member

I can't seem to get an image from Corel Draw to Acrobat to a printer and have it come out anywhere near the colors I originally intended.

I've fooled around with the color managment settings in both CD and Acrobat. I've tried both printing to Acrobat, and using Draw's "publish to pdf" command.

By default the images come out extermely dark, and any attempt to lighten them, causes the color to "wash out", so there really isn't any improvement.

Can somebody with experience in Draw and Acrobat give me a few tips, on how to create PDFs from Corel Draw, that will print in close to original colors?

TIA
  2. Masamune_Washington

Masamune_Washington Member

Redesignate all colors to CYMK, turn off all possible color management settings. It will tend to look "peculiar" on screen. Often mine still come out a half-shade darker than intended when printed, so I go back and lighten each color slightly.
  3. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

You might try calibrating everything, I have used wiziwig from http://www.praxisoft.com/pages/products.wiziwyg.html to make sure my monitor is set up reasonably, but to do the whole thing you need a 'target' which is a card on which are printed accurate colour patches. You scan this once, print it out, place the print-out and the target back under the scanner and the software can compare what you print with what it should be, and compensates accordingly.

However, the targets are not cheap (last time I asked, about £45.00 sterling,) and you really have to readjust for every type of paper you use, and maybe every time you change a ink cartridge.

We are getting into the realms of professional layout methods here!

Masaune gives good advice about turning off colour management; this only works if you do the profile calibration first. Otherwise they just make things worse!

Tim P
  4. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Here is my idiots way of doing it. Go onto Corel Draw and make a sample of the basic pallet. Just make a bunch of boxs and color them with Corel's basic colors. Now print it. When you want a color pick the one off the printed copy and ignore that it looks different on the screen. If you want to fine tune it bracket the color by doing a bunch of versions of the color. Print it and pick the color that you like.

The screen color and printed color just won't match. KMCY can't do purple well and RGB is lousy on orange.

Lizzie
  5. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I thought I'd change the direction a little rather than starting a whole new thread.

The plane that I'm painting is overall blue with with white streaks.http://www.wrhs.org/crawford/template.asp?id=342

I've got the white streaks outlined in black right now but there isn't supposed to be anything between the white and the blue. So how do you do that?
  6. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I thought I'd change the direction a little rather than starting a whole new thread.

The plane that I'm painting is overall blue with with white streaks.http://www.wrhs.org/crawford/template.asp?id=342

I've got the white streaks outlined in black right now but there isn't supposed to be anything between the white and the blue. So how do you do that?
  7. Joseph

Joseph Member

With the outline tool, you can set a white outline, or no outline
    Best regards,
  8. Joseph

Joseph Member

With the outline tool, you can set a white outline, or no outline
    Best regards,
  9. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Thanks Joseph that really helped. Now for the next question.

Often times when I do a fill there will be an arc drawn inside the border of the filled area and on the concave side of that arc the fill will not go. There is just a straight line from one end of the arc to the other and past that line the fill color won't go. How do you get past that problem?
  10. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Thanks Joseph that really helped. Now for the next question.

Often times when I do a fill there will be an arc drawn inside the border of the filled area and on the concave side of that arc the fill will not go. There is just a straight line from one end of the arc to the other and past that line the fill color won't go. How do you get past that problem?
  11. nx13688

nx13688 Member

It sounds like the non-filling arc is actually filled, but with white. Click on the arc, and check its fill. Of course, I might have completely misunderstood the problem, so you might want to post a screenshot.
  12. nx13688

nx13688 Member

It sounds like the non-filling arc is actually filled, but with white. Click on the arc, and check its fill. Of course, I might have completely misunderstood the problem, so you might want to post a screenshot.
  13. Maurice

Maurice Member

Will

Different prog - but same problem.
    Juggle with splitting up areas and overlaying fills.
    If it happens outside the shape define an area and fill with white.

Cheers
    Maurice
  14. Maurice

Maurice Member

Will

Different prog - but same problem.
    Juggle with splitting up areas and overlaying fills.
    If it happens outside the shape define an area and fill with white.

Cheers
    Maurice
  15. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm somewhat hampered by the fact that my computer is not hooked up to the internet and so I have to transfer files by cd and either I get lazy or in this case I'm out of writeable cd's.

Hopefully this might help everyones understanding; I filled the whole piece but the panel lines inside the border were hidden underneath the color so I turned off the fill temporarily, selected the panel lines and combined them with the the rest of the piece, then turned the fill back on. The lines were now on top of the fill but with the afore mentioned problem.
  16. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm somewhat hampered by the fact that my computer is not hooked up to the internet and so I have to transfer files by cd and either I get lazy or in this case I'm out of writeable cd's.

Hopefully this might help everyones understanding; I filled the whole piece but the panel lines inside the border were hidden underneath the color so I turned off the fill temporarily, selected the panel lines and combined them with the the rest of the piece, then turned the fill back on. The lines were now on top of the fill but with the afore mentioned problem.
  17. Maurice

Maurice Member

Make a copy. Clear all detail from inside the shape (probably important that). Fill. Paste copy in translucent form back on top.
  18. Maurice

Maurice Member

Make a copy. Clear all detail from inside the shape (probably important that). Fill. Paste copy in translucent form back on top.
  19. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

In a vector program, everything on the drawing is a seperate 'thing', and you can stack them in front and behind other 'things'. In addition to this, you can have stuff on different 'layers', which are also above and below each other. So by arranging the elements in your drawing in a sensible order, you can select and edit them individually (or in groups, or in layers) while retaining the structure that you intend. This is extremely useful also if you have alternate colour schemes, which can all be part of the same file.

My Basic Order, from top down, layers, is:

Panel lines
    Smudges and stains
    Markings
    Camouflage
    Basic shapes
    Background Bitmaps for tracing

You can expand this as much as you need; just remember stuff higher up the stack will cover up things underneath. And remeber you can selectively lock, view and print any layer, or combination of layers.

Funny fills with coreldraw? Turn the View quality down from Enhanced to Normal. If the problem goes away, it is a glitch in the video system. If it doesn't go away, you still have not closed all the nodes on the outline of the filled shape. Zoom in in node edit mode and close the gaps. The fill will work properly only when you have all the nodes joined.

Tim P
  20. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

In a vector program, everything on the drawing is a seperate 'thing', and you can stack them in front and behind other 'things'. In addition to this, you can have stuff on different 'layers', which are also above and below each other. So by arranging the elements in your drawing in a sensible order, you can select and edit them individually (or in groups, or in layers) while retaining the structure that you intend. This is extremely useful also if you have alternate colour schemes, which can all be part of the same file.

My Basic Order, from top down, layers, is:

Panel lines
    Smudges and stains
    Markings
    Camouflage
    Basic shapes
    Background Bitmaps for tracing

You can expand this as much as you need; just remember stuff higher up the stack will cover up things underneath. And remeber you can selectively lock, view and print any layer, or combination of layers.

Funny fills with coreldraw? Turn the View quality down from Enhanced to Normal. If the problem goes away, it is a glitch in the video system. If it doesn't go away, you still have not closed all the nodes on the outline of the filled shape. Zoom in in node edit mode and close the gaps. The fill will work properly only when you have all the nodes joined.

Tim P