Copycat Mainline Coaling Tower in HO

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
I glad I can't post pics right now, Bob, you oughta see all three of mine, whew, what a mess, only one useable and the space is getting smaller, I need to clean up!!! -:eek::eek:

Looking good, Fred. --:thumb::thumb:

F

Fred_M

Built a door 4 foot by 7 and finsihed the sides. Started adding what I guess are called banding timbers.

Attachments

• coaltower9.jpg
    coaltower9.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 210

Ho Modeler

Apr 6, 2004
Fox Valley
Visit site
Wow that looks great!!
Could i possibly get the plans that you got from Robin?
Or if you do make some of your own in HO could i get a set of those plans?
I am on a modeling streak the size of texas and i am feeling up to the challenge
I just got done building a Spar Tree that is 150 feet tall(HO Scale Feet)
And a traveling logging camp set of bunkhouses out of cardboard box and a thick shoe box. Man I wish i had a digital camera, O well
Sooner or later i will get one and start posting more pictures. Until then i will have to stick to the good ole disposable camera.

Eric

P

philip

Looks great Fred! The bands truly will hold the coal in.

:thumb:

Philip :D

F

Fred_M

So I put part of the roof on the coal bin and then I made some cardstock patterns of the lift house until I got I got a pattern I liked the looks of. I them cut it out of wood and scribed it. The ends and peaks were then measure and fill. The door was made from strip wood. The window is a Grandt line and is the first commercial piece used. Fred

Attachments

• coaltower11.jpg
    coaltower11.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 147
  • coaltower12.jpg
    coaltower12.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 143
F

Fred_M

Thanks guys. I put on some Campbell's tin and a small walkway. I'm about to get to the delicate parts. The coal chutes should be fun as should the stairs and rails. Fred

Attachments

• coaltower14.jpg
    coaltower14.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 180
F

Fred_M

Thanks. I just measured the structure. It's 80 feet tall. (11 1/4 inches). Do I need a flashing red light on top? Fred

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Well if this is in the steam train era flashing lights wouldn't be around because most pilots flew VFR and knew enough to fly high enough over towns to avoid such things. I remember my airforce days flying in the praries and those prairie giants didn't have red lights on them. They were higher than a coal tower would be. That was in the fifties.

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
Coming along nicely, Fred. -:thumb::thumb:

When you're done you need to take it to a coal loading facility and let it sit for a day to really get it weathered right. teehee!
Can't wait to see the finished product.

F

Fred_M

Here's the next installment. I put the tin on the lift house and made some coal chutes from Plastistruct I beam and leftover styrene from a DPM kit roof. Anybody know if anyone sells HO scale roof caps? The ones with the rounded tops. If not I guess I can use brass or steel angle which I have.

Attachments

• coaltower15.jpg
    coaltower15.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 153
  • coaltower16.jpg
    coaltower16.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 158