Copycat Mainline Coaling Tower in HO

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by Fred_M, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

I was really impressed with the job Robin did making his N scale coal tower out of cardboard that I decided to copy one out of wood in HO for my layout. So I got the plans, thanks Robin. The plans were of a general nature so I'm going to adlib a bit too. The first things I made were the legs. They are 20 foot by 20 foot made from basswood strips.

Attached Files:

2. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Next I attach the two legs to each other with 22 foot beams to make the tower 24 foot deep. I then added the exterior frame to the front 30 feet tall and scored some basswood to simulate 12 inch boards and stained it. Have to wait overnite for the stain to dry.

Attached Files:

3. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Clamped the scribed siding in place while the glue drys. Start building the back frame next.

Attached Files:

4. Catt

Catt Guest

Lookin' good so furr,er far :D
  5. JBBVry

JBBVry Member

looks good to me. we need to post some blueprints and then do a contest to see what we can do with them.
  6. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Very nice Fred, this one will be awesome. Too bad the plans wern't complete because the article was really a kit bash.
  7. Benny

Benny Member

If I remember right, there is enough information in the planbes to build it all the way...only wimps need plans of all four sides! :D
  8. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

I might sketch a set of prints when I'm done, but I'm trying to give enough info as I go to allow you to build one in any scale. Thanks for the comments. The plans I'm working off of have a few basic dimensions on it, the rest I'm doing by eye. The back wall is 41 foot tall and the cross beam is at a level to form a bottom on a 45 degree angle. After the bottom is in I will add the balance of the beams starting with the floor ones and finishing with the wall ones, then it will be on to the sides. I also glued the tower to a piece of pasteboard as the kegs are flimsy and easily broken off. :oops:

Attached Files:

9. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

The floor and back beams in place.

Attached Files:

10. Matthyro

Progressing well Fred
  11. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

And I thought I was the only one who used my jumpers as clamps... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  12. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Got the sides on, it's just a fill in the pieces to fit. Fred

Attached Files:

13. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

The other side.

Attached Files:

14. NYC-BKO

NYC-BKO Member

Very impressive so far, Fred. - :thumb::thumb: Looking good!

Don't those alligator clips leave teeth marks or did you file them off????:confused:
  15. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

No to both Brian, basswood is hard enough to take it. If it did they would just be weathering, but there are no noticable marks. If it were balsa I'm sure it would though. Fred
  16. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

To help me cut the roof joists at the correct angle I just cut a 45 degree piece of cardstock. I could of made a drawing, or used math. This just seemed easiest.

Attached Files:

17. Matthyro

Whatever works EH! Fred. It sure is coming along very nicely
  18. SAL Comet

SAL Comet Member

That looks great Fred, what did you use to score the basswood?
  19. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

The rusty bent finish nail in the second picture. Fred
  20. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

So here's the roof beams on and dry.

Attached Files: