Copycat Mainline Coaling Tower in HO

F

Fred_M

I was really impressed with the job Robin did making his N scale coal tower out of cardboard that I decided to copy one out of wood in HO for my layout. So I got the plans, thanks Robin. The plans were of a general nature so I'm going to adlib a bit too. The first things I made were the legs. They are 20 foot by 20 foot made from basswood strips.

Attachments

• coaltower1.jpg
    coaltower1.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 523
F

Fred_M

Next I attach the two legs to each other with 22 foot beams to make the tower 24 foot deep. I then added the exterior frame to the front 30 feet tall and scored some basswood to simulate 12 inch boards and stained it. Have to wait overnite for the stain to dry.

Attachments

• coaltower2.jpg
    coaltower2.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 500
F

Fred_M

Clamped the scribed siding in place while the glue drys. Start building the back frame next.

Attachments

• coaltower3.jpg
    coaltower3.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 464

Benny

Jul 11, 2003
Visit site
If I remember right, there is enough information in the planbes to build it all the way...only wimps need plans of all four sides! :D

F

Fred_M

I might sketch a set of prints when I'm done, but I'm trying to give enough info as I go to allow you to build one in any scale. Thanks for the comments. The plans I'm working off of have a few basic dimensions on it, the rest I'm doing by eye. The back wall is 41 foot tall and the cross beam is at a level to form a bottom on a 45 degree angle. After the bottom is in I will add the balance of the beams starting with the floor ones and finishing with the wall ones, then it will be on to the sides. I also glued the tower to a piece of pasteboard as the kegs are flimsy and easily broken off. :eek:ops:

Attachments

• coaltower4.jpg
    coaltower4.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 384
F

Fred_M

The floor and back beams in place.

Attachments

• coaltower5.jpg
    coaltower5.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 399
F

Fred_M

Got the sides on, it's just a fill in the pieces to fit. Fred

Attachments

• coaltower6.jpg
    coaltower6.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 389

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
Very impressive so far, Fred. - :thumb::thumb: Looking good!

Don't those alligator clips leave teeth marks or did you file them off????:confused:

F

Fred_M

NYC-BKO said:
Very impressive so far, Fred. - :thumb::thumb: Looking good!

Don't those alligator clips leave teeth marks or did you file them off????:confused:
No to both Brian, basswood is hard enough to take it. If it did they would just be weathering, but there are no noticable marks. If it were balsa I'm sure it would though. Fred

F

Fred_M

To help me cut the roof joists at the correct angle I just cut a 45 degree piece of cardstock. I could of made a drawing, or used math. This just seemed easiest.

Attachments

• coaltowerx.jpg
    coaltowerx.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 249
F

Fred_M

So here's the roof beams on and dry.

Attachments

• coaltower8.jpg
    coaltower8.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 224