copy in N

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
I really like the concept behind this trackplan. I am thinking of copying it in n scale (imagine 30" radius curves in N!), but am woried about not being able to reach staging tracks if a train stalls, or smashing scenery in the front of the layout while reaching over. How tall should the backdrop/divider be? Critique this trackplan for me.

http://www.ovar.ca/Mike Hamer/Hamer.htm

I was going to simplify the staging, eliminate a siding and make it double track on the visible main. Scenery would be slightly more industrial, or possibly use the union station and run mostly amtrak.

Your thoughts PLEASE.

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
The trick is the corners. By having the access in all four corners I think you are set.

Jeff

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
csxEngineer,

I have operated at this layout a number of times. Mike has mentioned that some areas, especially under the city are pretty much inaccessible except in dire emergency. However, he worked out all the problems with track by running for quite a while before scenicking and adding buildings.

It occupies pretty much the same space as you say you have available. In that case, I would recommend an "interpretation" of it, not a scale conversion. Since you want to make the main a double line, and you note that 30" radius in Nscale is desirable you might want to pretty much follow what is there.

I would not simplify the staging. It works really well. As trains come off the "operational" part of the layout, they are ready to go. And if not, you can have one operator standing outside the room in the doorway running staging like it was a yard.

The scenery at the edge of the layout is a trick that really helps make the layout seem larger. I don't think anything has been damaged at all, except maybe trees which are "weed-based" and inexpensive and easy to replace.

The "hills" that divide the scenery from the surround staging is only about 12" to 16" high. If you really needed to reach something, you could either go through the corner access triangles, or stand on a short step ladder to reach over. But as I said, make your trackwork bomb-proof before you add anything else.

Which industry are you thinking of eliminating? By going to an Nscale version, I thought you might add more... ;) :D

Andrew

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
Great help.

Thanks for the experienced advice! Where the door/duck under is, that whole side is open for me in the garage. I would eliminate the 45 degree crossing & scenery divider there and have a 2' by 2' removable section for access into middle. I would have to move those lower spurs a little to avoid a lot of track on that removable section. From your experience, in HO, does it look like a dog chasing it's tail? What is the longest train you run? (I have been known to switch scales :eek:ops: )

Actually, I have an N scale blast furnace & enjoy steel mill layouts, how do you think this trackplan would look in N scale with a rolling mill instead of a city scene & the blast furnace where the phillips furniture is?

Thanks again.

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Wow... This has to be the layout most often referenced on model railroad websites!

If simulating a variety of traffic patterns and running reasonably long trains (though not very far on the visible portion) are what you want, this plan looks like it'll deliver.

And for the record, I think it would look good with pretty much all of North Dover replaced by a steel mill. A large industrial complex can offer just as much switching as many small ones, though it will certainly result in specialization of local-freight operations.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
In HO, it is possible to run very long trains without it looking bad due to the view blocking that happens. The entire scene fills your field of vision, without any of the neighbouring scenes being visible. I don't reacall the longest train, but it was certainly 12+ cars; in Nscale you would not have problems running 15-20 car trains.

As for replacing North Dover with a single industry, I think Triplex has a good point about that being just as interesting with as much potential, if at the "cost" of more specific rolling stock.

Andrew

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
While this layout has excellent operations and has well designed trackwork from an operations standpoint, It is poorly designed from an Operators and maintenance standpoint. A trackplan of this caliber could have as many as 6 operators but it might get a bit crowded in that pit ;)
Opening this up into an around the walls layout double deck would eliminate many of the problems this layout has.(all of which focus around innaccessibility features).

With walk around control options available there is no longer any reason to stick to an operator pit design RR.
I think its a mistake in this day and age.

Imagine this layout as is opened up to a walk in dbl deck and you will not only make it more operator and maintenance friendly, you will add a tremendous amount of scenic design potential.
My opinion, worth price charged!! ;)