Copper Ridge Railway under construction

Pooh Bah
Rory: good idea. I have a level that came with a turntable (hi-fi type) that's circular and does all directions at once.
Now if I could just get a flat car that sits level on the track...

Drew1125

What a great little piece of homegrown ingenuity, Rory!
Nice work on the layout, too!
That track in the picture looks great!
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

roryglasgow

I've decided to dismantle the current Copper Ridge layout and start a new one in the near future. Here's the situation:
  • We will be moving into our new house by the end of February (if all goes according to plan). The benchwork was pretty flimsy. My son and I both have given one of the legs some really good knocks, and one corner is pretty loose right now. I'm not confident that the layout will survive a move...
  • My recycled track and turnouts are giving me numerous electrical problems.
  • I'm sick to death of cleaning the track in those #@!%^$ tunnels.
  • I'm not satisfied with the trackplan. My original intent was to place the town on the second level, but due to a miscalculation I didn't leave enough room to fit in the town after I put in the second-level cliff. I put the town on the top level, but putting the wood pulp yard on the second level wasn't practical (not enough room for the forests to support the industry). So, essentially, things weren't working out like I wanted...
Now on to the Track Planning for the Future forum...

aartwmich

I have just read this entire thread, not being around here when it was originally written, and I have to say that the step by step photos are fabulous!! Being a neophyte modeler, it's a HUGE help to see the construction from the benchwork up. Seeing HOW to do it and the 'finished' product kickstarts the vague ideas I've had for my own layout 'restoration'. And of course it always makes my day to see people being so supportive and encouraging, restores my faith in the human race.

To see Rory decide just now that he's gonna start over exemplifies the theory that layouts are never done and that the building of the layout is a VERY close second to actually running the trains..LOL :D

Good luck Rory on the move and new plans. I hope you will document the progress on the new layout as you have done with Copper Ridge.

roryglasgow

Thanks for the kind words, ima. It was a difficult decision because I have put a lot of work into the layout (although it is nowhere near the "complete" stage), and others have been so supportive. I'm especially thankful to Tyson for the rolling stock that he donated to the railroad. He did a fantastic job on those hoppers and the combine is my favorite piece of rolling stock!

I intend to document the progress on the new layout, too. Even though I'll probably be doing much of the same sort of thing with the new one, I'm certain there will be new challenges to overcome and new ideas to implement. I've really enjoyed watching the progress on Charlie's, Gavin's, Shamus', Mark's, Jesper's (handlaid, wow!), Biggles' and other's layouts. They've all given me ideas and inspiration.

And you're right: construction is almost as fun as running trains...sometimes even more fun!

Tyson Rayles

While the layout was progressing nicely, your reasons for filing :D for abandonment are sound. Looking forward to your new start my friend.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
You certainly aren't alone Rory, Many of us have moved and have had to decide what to do with the layout. It seems you have learned a great deal from your experience and now the things that frustrated you can be solved when you reach your new home and start a new layout.
Best of luck to you. We will be looking forward to hearing about your new layout soon.

Xelizarios-Prime

Looking good so far. It's been years since I had a model railroad. It was HO scale.

But I always wonder why you never see people make a model railroad where one of the trains is being robbed by Frank and Jesse James! lol! :)

Bill Nelson

as for me the James brothers did not operate in eastern Tn in the late 20's, nor did many folks bother with trying to rob log trains.

Bill Nelson