Cool Stuff around here ...

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
Been off down south doing a bit of computer work for the Columbus City Library, and even though I have driven past maybe 6000 times, I decided to check out this cool thing in the desert, that I have never had a chance to check out before. Still need to find out who and when, but WHAT, got a handle on..
This is a private, community for those that have their own plane, with a landing strip, and lots with room for your house and hanger, sales pitch over. What's cool is Hacienda Sur Luna seemed to have a Curtiss Jenny set on top of a post for display! I always wanted to see, and I finally got to take a look, couldn't get in as it was gated, but here is a pic of what I saw from the road.

CopperReplicaCurtissJenny.jpg

and of course it is on a pivot so depending on the wind sometimes I saw it sometimes not, was never sure, zipping by, there is a long row of buildings along the front and this is the only view you have. Well it turns out that it is not a Curtiss JN2s ‘Jenny’ but a full scale copper replica of a Curtiss JN2s ‘Jenny’ to show the flight history of this area.
I immediately thought of http://www.zealot.com/forums/can-models-both-aluminium-and-tin.715/ by gman.

Further down south is the home of https://firstaerosquadron.com/ and the Poncho Villa State Park and sitting outside is a 1914 or so Jeffries armored car.

2017-09-24.jpg

Inside are some other cool resources like a deuce and half quad 4 Jeffries truck.

2017-03-28.jpg

of course the Jenny ( fully restored of course) and also a nice dodge touring car ( just what you need for boonie busting!"

2017-09-24 (3).jpg

2017-03-28 (1).jpg

all in all.. a fun couple days, will spend some more time down there later and get more pix, details, measurements ( if possible, at least the outside stuff can be done) and have a whole new set of things to play with!!!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I'd like to bomb that gated community with the Confederate Air Force, just because of the snooty 'tude. Geez, they could have people sign in, even charge a nominal fee. Running an FBO for 4 years, I met the nicest and snootiest people, but not one in between, when it came to aircraft pilots and owners. The most knowledgeable were the least snootiest. I got to take 2 hour joy ride in a Beach 18, because the guy though I was "cool", and I refueled his plane. The fuel consumption was, Per Hour: $566.48. Fuel Cost Per Gallon: $5.84. That was a costly joy ride, and he insisted at flying at 220 mph! Sometimes, it pays to be nice. ;)