cool retaining wall Im working on....

eve_9d9

I built this today just noodling around trying to figure out how I was gonna handle this incline. the edge was so close to the next set of tracks it didnt give me room to model out a very realistic hillside....so this is what I came up with, a reatining wall that leads up to the bridge over plaster water.......still hafta do the finising touches but I think its gonna be pretty cool....eventually there will be a backdrop board behind it that will have mountains coming off it leading to backside of the line on the incline...

Attachments

• retaining wall 001.jpg
    retaining wall 001.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 8
  • retaining wall 002.jpg
    retaining wall 002.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 10

rogerw

Eve how much distance is between the wall and the track on the lower level. Im guessing you are doing it in HO. I need to come up with the same kind of solution and yours looks like its turning out nice. Thanks

eve_9d9

its in n scale roger......the edge of the ballast on the lower track just about comes up to the the wall........there might be 1/2 inch of grass and weeds between them....

eve_9d9

the wall is all made out of stained balsa....the incline was just foam..basically the foam is just skinned in balsa and rocks, and ballast....Ill take you a better pic so you can see it a little better

L

lester perry

If you go to a craft store that carries doll house material they have sheets of lap siding for exterior walls that you can tun upside downto make a retaining wall. It might be too big for n guage though.
100_0867.jpg
I used plastruckt I beams painted primer grey as vertical supports. If I remmember correctly I used brown paste sho polish for color

eve_9d9

duh......I have like 4 sheets of that lap siding too, and never even thought of that.......I took me a couple hours to do that wall, stick by stick, and I could have probably knocked it out in a half hour if I had used the siding....anyways roger heres the close up pic if it helps...the ballast plays hell withthe focus on my camera for some reason

Attachments

• retaining wall 004.jpg
    retaining wall 004.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 5