Cookie Cutter Method

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Amrap: If you have the plywood lightly tacked to a framework, you have to watch on the cookie cutter that you don't run the jigsaw into the framing members.
Generally, with cookie cutter you expect to leave the unraised bits down at elevation 0. BUT there's no reason you can't use cookie cutter variations 2b or 2c where bits of flat board are removed.
There is a further variation where all that's left is track bed and some outside walls and the scenery is suspended in the middle.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
You don't have to cut your curves in one continuous piece. you can use smaller pieces of plywood and make a complete 180 degree curve out of several pieces. Saves a lot of cost that way. By the way, this is the way layouts used to be built in "the old Days" when wire and plaster were the primary scenery materials. It was called open grid benchwork

You can use the cookie-cutter method on 1/2" foam too.

Looking%20North%2012-20-02.JPG

Stick to the blue foam for risers too.

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Chandler,
I reconize that layout! Thats the Jerome and southwestern of John Olsen isn't it? I've had that book on that for twenty years now and I still get insprastion from it. It looks like you've done a good job on it.