containers the easy way

WVRR

I ran into a dilemna of filling my container ship with containers. I only have a black ink cartridge in my printer so I printed out some templates I have done in MS Paint and coloured them in with pencil crayons.....from the photo below it's an easy and simple way to fill up the background of any intermodal yard or container ship in my case

Attachments

• containers.gif
    containers.gif
    24.3 KB · Views: 291

belg

WVRR , if you cant get a hold of the owner I believe I downloaded some of them, I'll have to look them up but let me know if you have no luck with the owner.

F

Fred_M

A couple years ago I scanned my cargo fleet and printed it. I then glued it to the backboard to make stacks. Here's one of the images fo evaluation, if anyone else wants more post and I'll upload them. DASH

Attachments

• cargo2.jpg
    cargo2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 228

Russ Bellinis

For anyone who is interrested, Sea Land was always the "odd man out" in comparison with the rest of the shipping industry. They never ran 20 foot containers. Until 1978 or 79, they ran 100% 35 foot containers at a time when everyone else ran 20s & 40s. All of the Sea Land containers with the long narrow Thermo King reefer like shown on the two containers facing us in the pic would be 35 feet long. The other difference is that almost everyone else was running all electric units on the containers and hooking up gen sets mounted to either the front of the box as a slide in, hanging on the chassis as a clamp on, or clamped to the top front corner posts and secured with a 7/8 inch stainless bolt
halfway down the front of the container corner posts. Furthermore, everybody else used diesel powered gen sets. Sea Land's units for 20 years or more on the 35 footers were the Thermo King SROL models powered by electric standby on the dock or on ship. They had an Onan two cylinder gas engine running on propane for over the road use. We used to have to change the oil every 30 days, and a tune up ands carbon scrape was due every 120 days. I don't think I ever had to do a tune up! By the time the unit had 120 days on it the spark plugs were so frozen into the cylinder heads and the head bolts were so frozen into the block, that we would end up replacing the engine!
Probably for 3-5 years in the 80's Sea Land ran a Carrier Transicold NDE40 on a few 40 foot containers. The NDE40 looked very much like the "Old Carrier" trailer unit marketed by A-line. Because they had so many 35 foot containers, all of Sea Land's early 40 foot containers had corner posts set at the 35 foot distance and then a second set 2 1/2 feet out from the 35 foot posts on each end. This is probably a lot more information that anyone wanted or even care about.

CCT70

No Russ, It's NOT more info than anybody cared about, I was just getting ready to post the exact same thing, lol. I just talked to my uncle who has worked over 30 years at Sea-Land (Now Maersk-Sea-Land in Oakland CA as a reefer mechanic and he told me the exact same thing. This is valuable info as I was *just* getting ready to start a bunch of 40' containers for Sea-Land for a 1978 WP COFC train and glad I got the info before I botched it all up, thanks a bunch! :wave:

F

Fred_M

I didn't know about SeaLand, but the two refers pictured endwise are actually OOCL, not SeaLand. These are RTR units I purchase second hand. DASH

Russ Bellinis

For anyone who is interrested, Hapag-Lloyd use to run Thermo King SNWD50 units which would look similar to those two units on the OOCL containers, they would just need the bulge filed off the front door of the reefer. There would be some other differences, but not too noticeable in ho or n scale. I'm not aware of any other shipping company that used truck style units on containers. Most container units would go full width accross the upper front half of the container with an openning in the bottom fron half where a slide in gen set would fit. The other type would be the full front all electric unit like the Carrier NT40 that is offered in a modern container by one of the manufacturers.
I may be mistaken, but I seem to remember ZIM lines running some SNWD50s as well.

Russ Bellinis

Here is another bit of info for anyone modeling a cofc train in the '70s or early '80s. Sea Land had some custom built gen sets using large Deutz diesels for power. They were lift off units with a large fuel tank in the base, and setting on a skid, so they could be loaded by crane or fork lift. they would put two 89' flats next to each other with two reefer boxes on each, then the gen set would be mounted on the end of either car closest to the end of the other car. I should mention the gen set would sit cross ways on the car, so it only took up about 3 feet of space. Two reefers from the car with the gen set would bel plugged into it, and the two on the adjacent car would have their cords strung over the coupler, and plugged into the gen set. This was before the advent of double stacks, but I think that after the double stacks came in, Sea Land would still have them load live reefers on 89' flats with the gen sets. By the 90's when Sea Land was sold by RJ Reynolds to CSX, I think they got a lot more conventional, going to all electric units, and using gen sets that clipped on to the front of the reefers, 1 gen set per reefer.

rockislandmike

Just as an aside, I was one of the ones that first started printing up cardstock containers . . . including Gauge containers both blue and copper in color (see pic below).

Attachments

• gauge_container.jpg
    gauge_container.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 174