Container crane

davidone

Does any mfg. or builder out there make a container crane in either kit form or built up, i'm looking for something that you would find on the west coast docks. Of course it must be N scale.

Thanks, Daveannounce1 announce1 announce1 :wave: :wave:

Collyn

I had one at one point in time but not any more. Didn't live threw a move. I don't know the manufacturer but one does exist. sorry i couldn't help more.

jshack

Dave,could'nt copy the link go to walthers.com and search mi jack.I am building
this one myself(when time permits)lol.part no.933-3222
jshack

DavidB-AU

I don't think there are any dockside container cranes available commercially in any scale. The one on the Chase Marine Terminal NTRAK module was scratchbuilt.

However the crane that loads the ship isn't always the same one that unloads the train. Trains can be unloaded some distance from the ship and containers held in staging areas, then brought to the dock by wheeled container hoists such as the Walthers Cornerstone Mi-Jack.
09330000003222.gif

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3222

Vollmer makes a rather good container crane in N scale.
gr-v7905.jpg

Cheers
David

I have been searching for a container crane for years. www.searails.com sells or used to sell a model in N-scale. When I was checking it out, it was only available as a RTR model made to order.
I wanted my crane to be as detailed as possible since it goes in the front of my layout. Now I decided to scratch build my own crane with Plastruct ABS and photo etched pieces.

It will not be true N-scale since I build it in 1:200 scale. Most photo etched detail parts are 1:200 and it is pretty big in that scale as well.
Here is a drawing with a container as comparison.

cranepic.gif

I used a modern Kalmar crane for my drawing.