Construction of the Fall Creek RR

jwmurrayjr

Nice work!

You could be a boat builder. How are the legs working out?

The "contours" of my layout are built of 1/2" blue styrofoam on edge (mostly). It was very easy to cut and shape and like you say almost "mess-less".

The sub-roadbed is also 1/2" blue styrofoam using the "cookie-cutter" method for grades and elevation variations. This has worked very well.

Please keep us posted.

Rusty Stumps

Well, thanks fellas! Now as I'm working on the layout I've also moved in a new direction!!!:eek:

A number of you know I do resin castings. I've just been approached by a kit manufacture to do metal and resin castings in bulk. So I'm moving into spin casting.

Like my layout, I'm not being conventional. Not too sure I want to publish just what I'm doing, don't want to give any competitors a "leg up" but I may be posting something on that in the future.

The commercial spin casters run from 10 to 20 grand which is way out of my league but I've come up with a different way to enter the field and if it works who knows I may start on a whole new career. Let's see, that would be #15 I think! (grin)

Walt

Russ Bellinis

It looks good! Did you run into any problems getting the drywall screw to hold in the sides of the plywood? The screws hold well going through accross the plys, but I would think they would tend to strip going into the edges.

Rusty Stumps

Russ, not too many problems. But then again, the screws are just there to hold till the glue sets. I used 2" long drywall screws and pre-drilled the holes. Also, the triangles in the corners add a lot to the strength of the frames.

When I build the next section frame, which will be at a right angle to the main, I will use a slightly different approach. I want to experiment with 1/4 tempered Masonite as the web piece and I will use 3/4" end blocks for attachment to the cross piece.

I never do anything the easy way! Life in particular!:D I'm now experimenting with spin casting of white metal and resin parts. I'm converting a medical centrifuge for this purpose!:rolleyes: