Construction Has Begun!!!

Hoss

Got out in the garage this morning and built the framework for the bencwork. I still have to put legs on it and deck it, but I've got this much done at least.

It's a bit heavy duty I know (perimeter 2x6 with 2x4 joists), but since I'm only gonna have legs on each end I wanted plenty of strength to support whatever weight the layout has.

The track plan is still in question, but the benchwork is now set in stone.

Anyway, here's the start to the BNSF....well, it just occurred to me that I don't have a name for it yet. Here's the start to my layout.

aan.sized.jpg

aao.sized.jpg

aap.sized.jpg

SD90

Wow, you could walk on that bench work! It looks like you are building a house, nice work! Keep us updated.

Mike.

Agatheron

Niice...

Admittedly, Benchwork is my biggest phobia in this hobby. I'm not particularly well versed in carpentry and woodworking. I picked up a bit through habitat for Humanity, but my only authentic power tool is a black & decker variable speed reversing drill... fortunately that's one less tool for doing benchwork as it's considered "essential" for this type of thing.

I need a saw, but wondering if a skill saw or a scroll saw would be the better choice. While I'm planning on mounting stuff on a door, I'm also thinking that perhaps an open-grid benchwork might also be viable option...

Hoss... Keep your Work in Progress (WIP) pics coming. I'm finding this most enlightening!

shaygetz

That is some nice carpentry. As for the lumber, Lorell Joiner's Great Southern Railroad is built entirely on 2x6s. You'll be ready when someone finally produces that elusive scale weight freight car or locomotive.:p ;) :D

Hoss

Admittedly, Benchwork is my biggest phobia in this hobby. I'm not particularly well versed in carpentry and woodworking. I picked up a bit through habitat for Humanity, but my only authentic power tool is a black & decker variable speed reversing drill... fortunately that's one less tool for doing benchwork as it's considered "essential" for this type of thing.

Agatheron, hehehe...growing up in a construction family, the benchwork is what I'm MOST comfortable with. It's soldering flex track and then doing scenery that scares me. :(

I need a saw, but wondering if a skill saw or a scroll saw would be the better choice. While I'm planning on mounting stuff on a door, I'm also thinking that perhaps an open-grid benchwork might also be viable option...

On tools...your Black & Decker drill will do you just fine. I'm not ashamed to say that's what I used on mine. It's no Dewalt or Porter Cable, but it'll do. ;) On saws, if you have a need for one later, I'd suggest investing in a compound miter saw. There's nothing better for making the cuts necessary for building benchwork. A skilsaw will work (circular saw), but a miter saw makes it a lot easier (and faster).

That is some nice carpentry. As for the lumber, Lorell Joiner's Great Southern Railroad is built entirely on 2x6s. You'll be ready when someone finally produces that elusive scale weight freight car or locomotive.

Thank you, sir. :) Hey...when they come out with scale weight cars and locomotives I'll be ready!! ;)

Always heard everything is big in Texas.
Great job Hoss, it looks great!

Thanks!! Us Texans like to build things so they'll last. :D

Youre off to an EXCELLENT start!

And having fun doing it!!

Now....back to that track plan... :cry:

Agatheron

I'm a bit embarassed... I put "Scroll Saw" when I clearly meant "Jig-Saw"

I know the mitre saw is the preferred tool of benchwork... Heck, I'd be happy to rent one from home depot for an afternoon to do the cutting I needed...

Arlaghan

Agatheron, I used an old beat-up jig saw to build my benchwork. DONT DO IT MAN!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Please! By all means, if you don't want to buy one, RENT ONE!!! LOL You won't regret it. (Or you might, if you don't!) It took me FOREVER to cut through stuff, and I've often had to do it twice. :cry:

At least now I have a table saw. Not as good as a miter saw, but much better than doing it the hard way! :D

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Wow Hoss! Didn't JUST finalize a track plan and now you're already well on your way! Nice looking carpentry!
Ralph

Hoss

I'm a bit embarassed... I put "Scroll Saw" when I clearly meant "Jig-Saw"

I know the mitre saw is the preferred tool of benchwork... Heck, I'd be happy to rent one from home depot for an afternoon to do the cutting I needed...

If you don't want to buy a miter saw, I highly recommend renting one. In my case I had a lot of boards that had to be cut at a 45 degree angle on the end. I could have done it with my Skilsaw, but it would have been more work and the cuts wouldn't have been as good. Well worth the $20 or so it would cost to rent one in my opinion. :)

Wow Hoss! Didn't JUST finalize a track plan and now you're already well on your way! Nice looking carpentry!

Hehehe...I just couldn't wait. :D

Lighthorseman

Looking Forward To This...

It's going to be fun to watch your progress on this layout, Hoss! Also...since you're in N scale, I guess 15 inch radius curves are just fine! (I'm not too sure why, but I was thinking HO in that thread...:rolleyes: )

Agatheron

Originally posted by Arlaghan
Agatheron, I used an old beat-up jig saw to build my benchwork. DONT DO IT MAN!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Please! By all means, if you don't want to buy one, RENT ONE!!! LOL You won't regret it. (Or you might, if you don't!) It took me FOREVER to cut through stuff, and I've often had to do it twice. :cry:

At least now I have a table saw. Not as good as a miter saw, but much better than doing it the hard way! :D

Advice taken... and thank you. Jigsaws are for cutting roadbed, not for cutting pieces of wood for benchwork ;) I think I said on another thread that Home Depot around here rents mitre saws. Although given the weather up here in the great white north, that likely won't happen until spring ;) Then again, I know people with toolshops...

Arlaghan

Originally posted by Agatheron
Advice taken... and thank you. Jigsaws are for cutting roadbed, not for cutting pieces of wood for benchwork ;)
Any time. :D Really looking forward to seeing you start yours... I can tell by all your posts/questions that you like to get things right the first time around and don't mind putting in double the effort of research and practice to lessen the effort needed in actual work.

When you say cutting roadbed, did you mean SUB roadbed? ;)

Not to hijack this thread from Hoss, who is doing mighty fine work (but is likely taking a break today, as it's his birthday) I was wondering, Hoss, have you made any more progress? Keep us posted! :D

Agatheron

When you say cutting roadbed, did you mean SUB roadbed?

Ummm... yeah... :eek:ops: Good that there's a blushing icon, methinks I will be using it a lot.

I'm one who asks a lot of questions, especially about stuff I'm not sure about. Scenery is more where my skills are at, as I've done dioramas in the past... Putting stuff together well (track & benchwork) so the scenery can go on top of it nicely is what I need to learn.

BTW... Happy Birthday Hoss!

Arlaghan

Originally posted by Hoss
...growing up in a construction family, the benchwork is what I'm MOST comfortable with. It's soldering flex track and then doing scenery that scares me.

Hoss,

I posted this a while back, but it has since gotten buried by all the subsequent posts. Plus, it didn't have it's own thread, so it's less likely to be "happened-upon" now. It's not soldering flex track, but it IS soldering feeders TO them (the underside). I like to do it this way, because you can "hide" the feeders by cutting up some ties and putting them where they normally go, then cover up with ballast. I thought my experience with this might be useful to you:

solder-01.jpg

1. I made a jig for holding the flex track in place

solder-02.jpg

2. I cut the ties at 8 ties, then 6 ties

solder-03.jpg

3. I pull off the 8 ties, and slide down the 6 ties

solder-04.jpg

4. I position the track onto the jig - snug fit

solder-05.jpg

5. Apply a decent amount of soldering flux to the rails

solder-06.jpg

6. And to the ends of the feeder wires

solder-07.jpg

7. Tin both the wire tip and the rails

solder-08.jpg

8. Hold the wire to the rail and apply heat

solder-09.jpg

9. As you can see, you get a clean, invisible joint!

Hoss

Originally posted by Arlaghan
Not to hijack this thread from Hoss, who is doing mighty fine work (but is likely taking a break today, as it's his birthday) I was wondering, Hoss, have you made any more progress? Keep us posted! :D

Ahhh....you noticed. ;)

Unforunately, I haven't had a chance to get to Home Depot for plywood, so my framework still sits in the garage waiting for me to get back to it.

That soldering post you did was VERY helpful. On my last layout (which I managed to get about 3 pieces of flex down on), I tried soldering to the bottom of the rails but didn't have much luck with it. I think I'll try your method when I get around laying track again. How do you get the ties back in place??

Agatheron, thanks for the birthday wishes. :)

Arlaghan

Originally posted by Hoss
How do you get the ties back in place??
You don't, really. Instead, what you do is save the pieces your cut off. When you glue your track down to the roadbed, make sure your spacing of the ties is conserved, even though there are not ties where the feeders are. Then, when the track is all in place, you cut up the left over ties and just glue them down where they would have been had you not removed them. Once you put your ballast, you will be hard pressed to remember where your feeders were located! :D