Consolidated PBY-5 Catalina

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Paragon, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

If someone offered to buy me any aircraft I wanted (and I had a license), I think I'd have to choose this gorgeous bird. For now, I'll make do with this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Won't be ready for release for a few more days.
  2. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Ooooh! Gimme gimme gimmeeee.... um, I mean, Very nice, I'll be looking forward to it!

Scott K.
  3. Nemesis7485

Nemesis7485 Member

The Catalina has always been a favourite of mine, too. Nice job, Paragon!
  4. MAJOR

MAJOR Member

I have to say, fantastic piece of work.
    Not the easiest of shapes to reproduce.
    Look forward to it's release.
    Is that float hinged ?
  5. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

So, anyone have some color scheme requests? Note; I should be able to include parts to make it a PBY-1 through 6 (different vert stabs, fuselage without gear, etc.).

The better resolution the pictures you can provide, the better the end result.
  6. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Yeah, the floats are hinged, and the struts on the outside sort of lock in place to make it stick. Its really a very simple mechanism actually.
  7. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

There are three possibilities here on this page; http://www.ipmstoronto.com/articles/aircraft/Canso/Index.htm I'd most like to see the third one first, the National Warplanes Museum's example. A Black Cat version would be good, too.

Scott K.
  8. widget

widget Member

Don't remember what he named it but Jacques Cousteau had one. Yellow?
  9. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

awsome job! looks great! id like to see a black cats version.
  10. knife

knife Member

I'd vote for the US Coast Guard paint scheme, high visibility will get attention.
  11. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Very nice, I'd like to see one in Coastal Command colours, or in post war RCAF markings.

Rick
  12. ltla9000311

ltla9000311 Member

I helped restore one of these when I was a kid back in 86 or 87. I love the Catalina because of it's ability to be used in so many different types of work.

I second the Black Cat version, I actually have a 1/144 plastic model of the Black Cat sitting in a box right now. Looks like it will sit awhile longer once Paragon releases this one!

The Coast Guard version would be really nice too. I'll look up some photos on the fire-bomber versions too. If I find anything I'll send it your way Paragon.
  13. ltla9000311

ltla9000311 Member

Here's one of the only surviving pics of the PBY mentioned above. I remember doing ALOT of sanding on the landing gear to remove the old paint. Brings to mind the line from Tommy Boy, "Did you eat paint chips as a kid?"

Attached Files:

14. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

What happened to her? I hope all that time you put in didn't go to waste... Is she still flying?
  15. ltla9000311

ltla9000311 Member

Paragon-From what I remember, the owner was restoring it and then flying it to Europe. She was airworthy. She eneded up in a museum in Germany I think. The interior was never restored as far as I can recall tho.
  16. ltla9000311

ltla9000311 Member

Here are some photos courtesy of: http://www.scalefirebombers.com/ . This site has reference photos of almost every aircraft ever used as a fire-bomber. This site caters mainly to plastic modelers, the picture archive is pretty good.

Here is the link directly to the Catalina photos: http://www.scalefirebombers.com/index3.html

These first pics are of the PBY used in the movie Always, starring Richard Dreyfus and John Goodman. I would definitely like to see this color scheme!

Attached Files:

17. ltla9000311

ltla9000311 Member

Here are a few more, a hodge-podge so to speak, of different color schemes. If anything catches your eye, head on over to http://www.scalefirebombers.com/ , and look at all the different types of pictures they've got over there!

Attached Files:

18. pahorace

pahorace Member

19. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Actually, I'm still not exactly sure what the Catalina looked like in Coast Guard colors, I tried doing a few searches but didn't come up with results that I was very confident in; I can find plenty of images, they're just all in black and white!

Edit: Also, I'm having trouble deciding which aircraft to design a model of next; The Grumman Albatros or the C-46 Commando. I know there aren't any models of the Commando available, and I've only seen one model of the Albatros at Bob's card models, in only Coast Guard colors.
  20. Texman

Texman Guest

Go for the Commando!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.