Consist Question

beezerv

I wanted to run a longer train than either of my engines could pull so I tried running them together. On their own my Kato SD40-2 runs faster than my Atlas GP30. However, when I run them together they seem to work fine (no bumping or coming uncoupled) and can pull all of my cars. They are run on traditional power with the faster Kato in front.

My question is whether or not it is hurting either of the engines running them attached when they normally would be at different speeds?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
More than likely, probably nothing. I too run m.u.ed locos without out a problem. Granted they are HO, but I used to do it when I was in N scale also.

shaygetz

Run a regular train for as long as you normally do then, when stopped see if one is abnormally warm or if they both are relatively the same temp. As long as one isn't working harder or hotter than usual, it should be fine.

Hoghead

I always run with at least 2 powered locomotives and have never had any problems. I have never tried to run a mix of Kato and Atlas though, I try and keep the the brand & type of locomotive consist the same.

beezerv

Thanks for the replys.

I just ran the two engines pulling 20 cars for over 20 minutes and neither of them seem any warmer than usual. They can pull the cars up my hill at only about 35% power so Im guessing neither is working overly hard.

I know it would be ideal to just have two of the same type of engine. However, I am on a grad student budget and when I have extra money to buy an engine its hard to buy the same kind I already have.