Consignment train?

Evan

Feb 9, 2004
Cape Town, South Africa
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking for suggestions on a train. I would like to make up a "flagship" train, for running when the club sets up at shows, as well as at club meets.
I want it to be all the same type of car, about 20 to 30+ cars. Problem is, I don't want to break the bank doing it. I was thinking of coal or something like that. Please give suggestions, as well as some idea of prices / where to get from. I've seen the Kato coal gondolas for around $74 per set of 8, but that's a bit steep. I'm hoping to get away with spending around $5 to $7 per car. Suggestions?

Thanks

sschaer

Aug 23, 2004
mdc roundhouse used to sell their coal cars directly. nice cars for a really good price. unfortunately they no longer sell directly.
you might be able to find a batch of these cars in a hobby shop. all you need is mount micro-trains trucks and there good.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Food for thought.Just about everybody runs coal,grain and pig/stack trains..
Here is what I have in mind..A solid modern reefer train with 57' reefers pulled by 2-3 units(SD50/60s perhaps?) :D

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
brakie said:
Food for thought.Just about everybody runs coal,grain and pig/stack trains..
Here is what I have in mind..A solid modern reefer train with 57' reefers pulled by 2-3 units(SD50/60s perhaps?) :D

Good idea...'cept try yellow Pacific Fruit Express reefers pulled by a 4-8-8-2 Cab-forward :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I would figure that box lots on Ebay would probably be just as expensive going to South Africa as buying your equipment new. I know what you're looking for though, one of our club members has a train of flat cars hauling Sherman tanks--about fifty of them--. Makes for quite a sight going around the layout at shows.

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
shaygetz said:
Good idea...'cept try yellow Pacific Fruit Express reefers pulled by a .....

The Tropicana white "Orange Juice" reefers make a nice string. Saw a train (n-scale) of 60 behind 4 diesels at the train show a couple weeks ago. This guy runs the train at every show held here in the DC area.

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
cheap cars:

Quitte a few companies sell stacks of the cheap Life-Like cars for $3-4 each. They are not highly detailed, and have plastic wheels and rapido couplers. But they are CHEAP! And a little weatherinhg will go a long way

Was it the August Model Railroader that had an article on casting freight cars with polyester resin? I thought it might be a way of building my fleet of refrigerated tofu cars. (The Muddy Creek RR will be serving the largest tofu feedlot & packing operation east of the Mississippi.)

It seemed like a cost effective method of building a large number of identical cars.

Wayne

WM-N-fan

Jan 27, 2002
Hagerstown Md.
How about Atlas 90 ton hoppers? The accumate trucks and couplers on the new release are very decent. They go for around 5.20 to 5.50 each....TexNrails has em cheap. Shipping might not be too bad from Miami compared to other places in the country. If you model US prototype this is the way to go.....Also you can mix in predecessors for the same price...Also they look good with MDC's hoppers..Lifelikes....Trainworx....and even the Bethgons made by LBF, Kato, Athearn and Deluxe Innovations....A 20 car train should cost about 110 before shipping....30 cars is close to 160....No need to change the couplers unless you are picky like me and only use MT's. These cars are good because they fit the 1965-present timeframe depending on the road.