conrail

rr9731's girl

Jan 2, 2007
Oneida, NY
does any one know what other roads worked with conrail in the north east during the 90's and what type of railroad loco names you may have seen running with cr units :wave:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
My first thought after a brief search was to check Railroad.net's Conrail forum but I see
RR9731 already did that! :) You might still get some responses there but maybe some one here can add some info.

regards,
Ralph

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Guilford System(Boston & Maine), The Suzy Q(Susquahanna) Vermont Central(or Canadian National), Providence and Worster, The Housatonic.

Some of the locos I've seen were B32's, SD 40's Gp-40's, couple of U36b's, and once before the CSX/NS split, an SD80MAC.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
The other names you might see were PennCentral, Pennsylvania and New York Central -- the roads that were there before. They would be in faded paint (certainly the last two). There would be a lot of other roads that crossed Conrail, but I don't know which might run with it.

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The other names you might see were PennCentral, Pennsylvania and New York Central -- the roads that were there before. They would be in faded paint (certainly the last two).
I don't know if any diesels lasted in PRR colors into Conrail, though I recall a photo of an NYC engine wearing Conrail patches. Among electrics, some definitely remained in PRR colros into Conrail. I also don't know of any New Haven engines lasting in those colors into 1976 or later.

The other predecessors of Conrail were Erie-Lackawanna, Reading, Lehigh Valley and Lehigh & Hudson River. Any of those would have been around in the early days. None are appropriate for the 90s.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I'm pretty certain that CP Rail had a lot of interchange and interaction with Conrail, particularily in New York State, and around the Chicago area.

Wayne

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
rr9731's girl said:
does any one know what other roads worked with conrail in the north east during the 90's and what type of railroad loco names you may have seen running with cr units :wave:
Yes,I seen UP,RG,IC,CP,CN,SP,CSX and other units on trains heading east to include trains heading toward Oak Island.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
rr9731's girl said:
thanks for the information guys, much appreciated. now just to decide which one to go about using....

Why choose just one? :D

I've got pics from the 90's of Conrail trains with Santa Fe, BN, CN&W, SP and UP units both in the consists and leading.

chooch.42

Jan 23, 2007
Gibsonia, Pa.
Conrail's Juniata Loco Shop also did paint jobs for several lines - locos would arrive in primer, get thier new work clothes on and leave in consist and sometimes working for owners interchange point. NS seems to be continuing this business (Ohio Central units being done now). I cant list all the RRs, but BN, BNSF,NJDOT,and CAL-TRANS are some I remember. Gives you license for almost anything !!!