Conrail GP15-1 kit

Jon Grant

Jun 6, 2004
Sunderland UK
www.railimages.com
Well here it is, the GP15-1 kit from Smokey Valley. Lots of tasty bits and pieces, and I've already lost a couple - D'oh. Hence the plasticard pilot and anticlimber. What usually happens is that as soon as I make/buy a replacement, the original turns up.

Here are the pieces. You also need a dash-2 cab - mine is a spare Athearn GP38-2 one, although if I do a decent job, I might donate my last Cannon thinwall kit to the project. I have also ordered a two-strap signal box for the engineer's side of the short hood.

BTW - the packet says FRISCO but the kit is definately Conrail

acg.sized.jpg

acf.sized.jpg

ace.sized.jpg

The chassis and motor are coming from a Walthers GP15 RTR model, which is a very nive model in it's own right, but totally wrong for Conrail

Here's a pic of a couple like the one I'm modelling.

cr1614cf.jpg

Jon

Jon Grant

Jun 6, 2004
Sunderland UK
www.railimages.com
I made a start last night, and was well impressed. Once the castings had been cleaned of flash and moulding pips, the whole process, including photography, took 36min 11sec - the total playing time of 'Hemispheres', by Rush.

Heres some progress pics.

Sub-assemblies

acj.sized.jpg

acm.sized.jpg

long hood

acl.sized.jpg

Complete (It really is as simple as it looks)

acn.sized.jpg

Comparison with the Walthers

acs.sized.jpg

Now to check out the Walthers Chassis - this may not be as easy as I thought.

Jon

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
Looking good, Jon. You know I will be asking you for tip and pointers, when I decide to tackle my kit. There is a frame kit for it too, that takes Athearn trucks. Nice job!

Jon Grant

Jun 6, 2004
Sunderland UK
www.railimages.com
Gary Pfeil said:
You don't listen to dowop when you're modeling something from the early 50"s, do you? Only kidding all you dowop lovers!
Interesting thought - listen to the music of the period you are modelling.

NAAA!! I'd only be able to model late 60's onwards, and the mid 80's would be a no-go area.;)

PS I built this 1917 loco to the sounds of Jethro Tull and Alice Cooper (pre '75) :p :wave: :D

aaf.sized.jpg

Jon

F

Fred_M

I once went to a Rush concert back in must of been 79. IMHO they needed to skip the concert thing as they were much much better in the sound stage. Or maybe they just had a bad night.

I love your progress photos. Fred

CharlesH.

Jul 31, 2004
my house
Gary Pfeil said:
You don't listen to dowop when you're modeling something from the early 50"s, do you? Only kidding all you dowop lovers!
Well, I model 1941, so guess what I listen (and not just during modeling time).

Jon Grant

Jun 6, 2004
Sunderland UK
www.railimages.com
Hmmm...Metallica? No, Swing, Big Band perhaps:D

All change!

Yesterday, I sat down and stared at the two body shells for ages and compared them with all the pics I could find of Conrail GP15's.

I made a list of all the bodyparts I liked best on the two kits and came up with a compromise by assimilating the three different makes into a hybrid ('You will be assimilated')

Here's what I ended up with.
act.sized.jpg

acv.sized.jpg

acw.sized.jpg

acy.sized.jpg

I decided the Walthers hood ends were a closer match than the SV ones, which are too pointy (something spotted in a Jim Six atricle, and once you notice it, the worse it gets)

The SV long hood details are probably the more accurate of the two models, but my heavy handed painting would obscure most of it, so I stuck with the Walthers long hood. Some of the other details on the radiator and roof are also better for the Conrail loco.

The SV blower and filter grill parts are perfect for a Conrail loco, but carving away the walthers hood section is tricky.

The Athearn cab is easily better than the Walthers cab, especially round the numberboard and light area.

The Walthers short hood is a good copy but needed the riveted plate removing from the top.

Finally, the pilots and steps on the SV kit are the best looking, but I opted to keep and modify the Walthers ones to try and retain the rigidity of the model, especially after the major surgery on the long hood.

Now for some detailling work.....

BTW, as you may have noticed, I am only trying to recreate a model which includes all the main spotting features of a Conrail GP15, rather than an exact replica a la Jim Six, Dave Plumber, Mike Chapmon, etc.

If I can get the details on the finished model past Brian (NYC-BKO), who knows his way round these beauties, I'll consider the project a success.[:D]

Jon

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
Jon, I thought you didn't have the SV kit powered, it looks like you ran'em together and they just melded. Change is good I guess, it takes two to tango,etc.
I'm searching for my magnifying glass, microscope or whatever.

Looks really good so far, nice job, Jon. -:thumb::thumb:

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Rush........Just went to the Rush concert last night at the Meadows in Hartford!!!!
Excellent concert...Even better than the one two years ago! They actually get better every time I go(My sister is a BIG fan), being this was the sixth time I saw them.
Must've been a bad night Fred............

Jon Grant

Jun 6, 2004
Sunderland UK
www.railimages.com
eightyeightfan1 said:
Rush........Just went to the Rush concert last night at the Meadows in Hartford!!!!
Excellent concert...Even better than the one two years ago! They actually get better every time I go(My sister is a BIG fan), being this was the sixth time I saw them.
Must've been a bad night Fred............
:thumb: :thumb:

I haven't actually seen them since 1980, on the Permanent Waves tour, but I recently picked up the 'Rio' dvd, which prompted me to dig out my old vinyl. Glad I did, cos I'm now converting it to cd.

Rich, sorry about this, man, but the Frisco paint job is no more on this particular loco. I do like that scheme though and it was a common sight in Alabama, so in the future, who knows.....

Jon

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
Jon, don't forget the sand filler on the short nose and the round pooper vent that goes above the cab signal box:rolleyes:and the -- and the --. HAHA! Looks good. -:thumb:

Jon Grant

Jun 6, 2004
Sunderland UK
www.railimages.com
The handrails and front detail are now on. I retained the Walthers stanchions but drilled them out to accept brass wire. the plough has also been heavily modified, although it might currently be sitting a bit low.

add.sized.jpg

adf.sized.jpg

adg.sized.jpg

adh.sized.jpg

Next for the rear end and the cab before going to the paintshop. I also have some long-shank 20 series Kadees on order to clear the plough.

Jon