Conrail Blue?

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by ctrain05, Jun 18, 2005.

1. ctrain05

ctrain05 New Member

posted this on the n-scale forum as well... twice is all I will post it, not going to overkill my question lol... but I couldnt decide which forum this would fit, kitbashing and design or just the regular N scale forum.

Hello everyone... [​IMG] my name is Chris and this is my first post on The Gauge. Man this is a awesome forum, areally appreciate what you guys are doing here. Anyway I model N scale, have a 3x7 layout on a door that is my personal project. I also belong to the Knoxville Area Model Railroaders N scale club in which we run operating sessions every 2 weeks. Anyway to my question...

I model NS and Conrail and some CSX. I am repainting some of my loco roster to Conrail, and was buying paint the other day at the loal hobbytown. They were out of all brands of acrylic paint (in which I rather use) for Conrail blue. I went to Michael's and looked at some of the craft paints they had. They had a ton of different color blues. Just wondering if anyone here may have used a "craft paint" for painting a Conrail Loco and maybe could give me the color they used so I could match it up. Copen Blue looked close to Conrail blue but I wasnt sure. Also maybe you guy could list some equivalents, cuz craft paints are so much easier on the budget...thanks chris [​IMG]
  2. NYC-BKO

NYC-BKO Member

Can't give you a formula, but at the price of those paints get the blue that is close, some white and a darker blue and start experimenting also a good color photo of the blue you are matching. Conrail blue changed I think 3 times over the years got a little darker each time. Fellow member TomPM uses these type paints and mixes them 50/50 with blue windshield washer fluid to spray and it works fine as I had to custom mix a batch of paint using these type of paints to match a manufacturers color. Once you get a good base color it is easy to lighten it to show various stages of weathering. Good luck and have fun!!
  3. ctrain05

ctrain05 New Member

Thanks so much for your reply... I am going out today with a pic in hand to Michaels...
  4. PnP Hobbies

PnP Hobbies Member

For referancing CONRAIL BLUE:

there are a few options.
    1. 3 parts R-56 GN Big Sky Blue
    1 part R-50 Dark Blue

2. R-158 CONRAIL Blue

3. AP-7 CONRAIL Blue

* R=Floquil