Concrete Mixing Plant

Discussion in 'Trackside Photos & Details' started by 2-8-2, Nov 14, 2006.

1. 2-8-2

2-8-2 Member

While not necessarily trackside, this industry would have a home on any layout. Concrete is the most used man-made material on the planet. Gravel, sand, fly ash, and blast furnace slag are all products carried by rail and also used in concrete mixing.

I took several pictures of a mixing plant, and will post a few here. These have been resized so they don't take up so much bandwidth, the originals are HUGE and very detailed.

If you're interested in having all of them, send me a PM and I can email them to you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

Cool pics. thanks, I am building my own concrete plant right now!!

I am interested in those large sized images, i'll send you a PM
  3. 2-8-2

2-8-2 Member

Email sent...hope the pics help you in your modeling!
    :thumb:
  4. TruckLover

Thanks so much:thumb: :thumb: :D :D :D :D
  5. brakie

brakie Active Member

2-8-2,One could add a siding for cover hoppers of cement.Gravel could come from local rock quarry and trucked in and sand could also be trucked in from local sand pits.
  6. TruckLover

That is what I did on my Hoffa Cement Plant; http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=22734 (Hoffa Cement is on the last 2 pages).
    I also added a bulk transfer conveyor w/pit for hoppers to drive over and dump sand and gravel into.
  7. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

Josh, if you want to do a little research and exploration of the cement industry, just drive North from Rancho Santa Margarita to the Santa Ana Canyon and East from there to Riverside and San Bernardino. Gypsum Canyon Road off the 91 freeway in the Santa Ana Canyon got it's name from the gypsum (cement) mine visible to the South of the freeway. There are numerous gypsum hills being cut down and loaded into cement hoppers in Riverside, Colton, and San Bernardino. Many are big enough operations to have multiple track yards in place shipping carloads of cement out. Some even have gravel quarries on the same property or very nearby where open hoppers haul out aggregate for the manufacture of concrete.
  8. TruckLover

WOW, thanks so much Russ, I will have to go check that out, I know right were it is but didn't know it was even there. Thanks again for the tip :thumb: :D :D :D :D :D