Con-cor body shell replacement

Bob Morris

Jan 4, 2005
I have a GREAT running Con-cor PA1 (E-L) that I bought 30 years ago. It runs on code 55 track and pulls my new Con-cor 5 car E-L passenger set with no problems. However, the loco # is prototypically incorrect (#4012) and there is no window glass in these old shells.

My question is, does anyone know ifl the newer Life Like or other manufacturer's body shells fit right on as replacements? If not, does anyone make window glass for these older body shells?

Thanks for your help!

Bob

C

Catt

Hi Bob,I don't think I'm gonna be of much help to you but I'll give it a shot.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the pilot on this critter attached to the front truck.I think a huge improvement might be to cut it loose and bodymount it.This should help the looks quite abit.

About the windows there are none made for this critter that I am aware of.If you really want windows for it PM me with your email addy and I will tell you in text format how I make flat windows for locos and cars.It's not hard to do but can be rather time consuming.

By the way if you lokie is that old it probly has a KATO mechinism under it. :D

Bob Morris

Jan 4, 2005
Thanks guys. I can believe it has a Kato mechanism. It creeps along nicely on start up, and runs well on the "years ahead of it's time" low profile wheels. For the age, it's a surprisingly good runner. I'd like to keep running it, but diesel loco cosmetics have definitely improved over the years!

The pilot is indeed attached to the front truck. I confess to be somewhat terrified of hacking it off and making it a solid mount. However, removing the coupler mounts from the front truck and putting the old chassis under a new Kato or Life Like shell has some appeal. I'm just not sure if the body mounts are the same or not. Anybody know? The new MR has a nice article about detailing the Kato PA's but of course they come with the windows already in the shell.

I'll definitely check out making windows for it myself (that's not as intimidating as major surgery). Thanks for the suggestions!

Bob

Bob Morris

Jan 4, 2005
Brady, you were correct. The May/June 1991 issue of N Scale magazine had an article on photocopying windows! Kudo's to your grey cells :) If Catt!'s technique proves beyond the capabilities of mere mortals I'll start my back issue scrounging.

Bob