Computer Track Layout Programs

frenchtoast

May 17, 2005
Just wondering if anyone uses any track layout programs on their computer? I've just recently downloaded and am trying out Railmodeller for MAC OS X. Its reasonably good for what it does.

Any other recommendations

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
I've searched around before, and I think railmodeller is the best available for OS X, especially at it's price.

i've designed all my layouts with it and have been happy with the results.

VunderBob

Mar 11, 2005
I also use Right Track. The good part is that the software is pretty realistic regarding how much space the track and geometry will take on the layout; the bad is that you're locked into using Atlas sectional and flex track, although you can sort of make up your own curved turnouts.

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
I believe that XTrkCad - free from Http://www.sillub.com - can be run with Linux, if that helps. Good set of track libraries, and you can set up your own
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
I have also downloaded the XTrkCad software, but have never really figured out how to use it as easily as I figured out RTS. The other thing about XTrkCad is that the library has several obscure manufacturers that I have never even heard of.

That being said, I recognize that the software has to meet multiple demands in a host of other countries where these track products may be available; however, it is also a problem with RTS in that you cannot "edit" the library to eliminate Atlas track components that you (I) would never use - a re-railer for instance.

I guess for free you get what you get and use it to its best advantage. If it works for you - then happy modeling!!!

shortliner said:
I believe that XTrkCad - free from Http://www.sillub.com - can be run with Linux, if that helps. Good set of track libraries, and you can set up your own

Hey,

For my trackplan designs that i do for people, a part of SRDesign, i use a good variation of CAD programs, including RTS, XTrkCAD, 3rdPlanIt and a couple other non-rail-specific CAD programs. For most of the plans i'm giving to other people, again through SRDesign, i use RTS, as it uses track people know and have best access to, and it shows more of how it's laid out, especially easy for a beginner.

LateR
AR

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
Jeff - here in UK Atlas track is almost unobtainable - we mainly have PECO and HORNBY - with a smattering of VERY EXPENSIVE track by other manufacturers. I'm interested that you found the Atlas Program easy, and XTrkCad less so - I found Atlas very difficult, but maybe that was because I was used to XTrkCad. Like all CAD programs, it has it's quirks, but a friend who used 3rdplanit came over to XTrkCad because he found that much easier to produce results with. All my trackplans on the Small Layout Design Group and it's sister groups - together with the trackplans for Model Trains International magazine are done with XTrkCad.

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
Hey, Shortliner - we have to swap phone calls, but my wife would kill me if she saw this long distance call.

I guess each CAD application has its learning curve and I just wish I could figure them all out.

JD

shortliner said:
Jeff - here in UK Atlas track is almost unobtainable - we mainly have PECO and HORNBY - with a smattering of VERY EXPENSIVE track by other manufacturers. I'm interested that you found the Atlas Program easy, and XTrkCad less so - I found Atlas very difficult, but maybe that was because I was used to XTrkCad. Like all CAD programs, it has it's quirks, but a friend who used 3rdplanit came over to XTrkCad because he found that much easier to produce results with. All my trackplans on the Small Layout Design Group and it's sister groups - together with the trackplans for Model Trains International magazine are done with XTrkCad.

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
Jeff - there is a YOOHOO group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/XTrkCad/
It's fairly quiet, but you can get answers to problems on there. FWIW The Help file contains everything that appeared in the printed document that came with the purchased version.
I'm at chacmool at lineone dot net if you are stuck - can't guarantee to have ALL the answers though <BG>

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
Yahoopsie has a group for anything. Next thing you know they will have a group for how to use The Gauge list<g>

For me, I have XtrkCad installed, but will stick with the Atlas RTS application as that is what I am familiar with.

Old dogs - no new tricks.

shortliner said:
Jeff - there is a YOOHOO group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/XTrkCad/
It's fairly quiet, but you can get answers to problems on there. FWIW The Help file contains everything that appeared in the printed document that came with the purchased version.
I'm at chacmool at lineone dot net if you are stuck - can't guarantee to have ALL the answers though <BG>

Diezel

Jun 12, 2005
Montreal, QC
I'm on the RTS website but it dosen't have any libraries for G scale? :(. Is there no
3d design program? you know where you can input 3d structures and create your track etc..?

Chris

b28_82

Jan 25, 2004
Midwest City, OK
www.geocities.com
I have Cadrail 6 and it works great if you take the time to go through the tutorials and try to do exactly what they do to see if you get it right. Also if you take the time to play with all the options that you learn in the tutorials it can become very easy.
I originally was overwhelmed by all the little functions that it had. I finally took the time to go through the tutorial and it ended up being pretty easy. I even printed my plan out and put it together and the tracks ended up lining up perfectly to the Ntrak standard!
Jake

seanm

Oct 11, 2004
Sunny CA
www.pegnsean.net
XtrkCad is not something you can just pickup and start using. The included toutorials will show you how to get going and even someone like me, could't get Atlas's program to work, was able to figure it out. Use the tutorials!!

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
RTS7, AFAIK, is for Atlas HO track only, just like it's predecessors, so your chances of using it for )27 are almost non-existant. Try XTrkCad.
Shortliner (Jack)away up here in the Highlands