Computer Problems

RobertInOntario

Our iMac at home died about a week ago (the power supply suddenly broke down) so I haven't been able to check The-Gauge as often (only occasionally from work).

I hope to pick up our new iMac tonight so I can start checking The-Gauge again and posting. This is the second iMac that we've had problems with. They're great when they work (I use them for graphic design, especially at work) but seem prone to logic board and power supply problems.

Now that I've had my little "rant" I'll go back to work!

Cheers,
Rob

RonP

Member of the WMRC
Now is that a mac or a pc mac ? They changed a short while back and I think it was becuase of hardwares issues like you have experienced.

RobertInOntario

Now is that a mac or a pc mac ? They changed a short while back and I think it was becuase of hardwares issues like you have experienced.

In both cases, it was the iMac G5. The first iMac was bought for my work in 2004 and, about a year later, it was in the shop having its logic board replaced. At the same time, it also had its power supply replaced.

I bought this Mac from my work about a year later (for a low price) and just this past week its power supply died again.

Meanwhile, we bought another iMac for my work in late-2006 and it has also been in the shop having its logic board fixed!

Macs are awesome machines when they work, but they seem prone to hardware problems. I hope my new one (for home) holds up OK!

Rob

You're breaking the rules. I use Firefox for a lot of personal browsing, but you're not supposed to talk about it crashing or having issues. Same thing with Apple. You can only complain about Windows-based systems crashing :)

It's an unwritten law of the Internet (well and the office).

It reminds me of a conversation with a friend who was raving about how great the customer service was each of the three times he had to send his iPod in for repair. I commented that I never had to send my MP3 player back after years of use. "Yeah, they probably wouldn't be as good as Apple about service, you're lucky." Heh, guess I don't have the three time busted kind of luck.