Computer help

Since I can talk about anything here, I need help with this here contraption I got. This computer, everytime I bring up something new on the monitor, it comes up small size and I have to click to full-screen it. Isn't there some magical place I can go to that makes everything come up full size? Ooops. Some other place than where a lot of people tell me to go.

Lynn:curse: :curse: :cry: :cry:

ezdays

Out AZ way
yellowlynn said:
Since I can talk about anything here, I need help with this here contraption I got. This computer, everytime I bring up something new on the monitor, it comes up small size and I have to click to full-screen it. Isn't there some magical place I can go to that makes everything come up full size? Ooops. Some other place than where a lot of people tell me to go.

Lynn:curse: :curse: :cry: :cry:
The first thing that comes to mind is that maybe you've got things set to "open in new window" rather than "open in existing window". That is a function of your browser and your other applications. I don't know which browser you're using or even which version of an operating system you have, but somewhere you have an "optionss" menu to set this up in.

Keep up posted and give us a bit more information if you can.

BrianK

What OS are you using? Windows XP?

Generally, the windows will open in the same size that they were last open with. So if you had IE maximized the last time you closed it, it should be maximized the next time you open it.

However, the OS can sometimes be a little glitchy (could be because of a number of reasons).

You might want to try to post at a computer related website if you can't get any help here. Check out the forums at my site (http://www.thetechlounge.com) and start a thread there asking for help if you want. Usually you'll get several responses offering help.

Shameless plug I know… ;-)

Here's a link to our tech-support forums:
http://www.thetechlounge.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Jac's Lines

I had a similar problem -- as far as I could tell, some site that I visited changed my default settings so that everytime a new window would open, it would be 1/4 the size of a full window. A real pain. If you're using explorer 6.0.2 with Windows XP, under Tools menu there's a "Reset web settings..." option. This cleared up the problem for me, but it also wiped out most of my other settings (text size, etc.). A blunt instrument I know, but it probably will fix the problem you're talking about.

This is all I know. It is Windows XP, I'm on cable, a browser is what I go to, to post pictures. No place on tools can I find anything about changing anything. I always have to enlarge to full screen, and that is where it is when I close it. It still opens small the next time. I reckon I'll have to take BrianK up on his shamefully shameless plug.:cry:

Lynn

Will_annand

Lynn, right click on the Internet Explorer icon and click "Properties". On the window that pops up, go to "Run", click the little arrow and select "Maximized". Then click "OK".

Now each time you click on "Internet Explorer" it will start full screen. You can do this with any icon on your desktop or any entry in your "Start menu".

Hope this helps.

Thanks everybody for all your help, but it just doesn't work. I go to internet explorer, properties, and there is no 'run'. Also, somewhere along the line, I found that 'maximize' place. That didn't help, but now I can't even find it again. Hopefully I'll blunder on to it some time again. That's what I get for picking up a wrech when I don't know nothin' 'bout 'chinery.

Lynn

FiatFan

Lynn - a bit of clarification. What Will was referring to was the icon (or little picture) you click on to start Internet Explorer. When you right click on that, you should get a menu on which the last item will be properties. Click on that and then make sure maximize is selected.

Hope this helps.

Tom

FiatFan

OK. A couple of other things to try:

1. Try opening IE and rather than maximize, drag the edges out to full screen or as close as you can get to full screen.

2. Try opening IE, maximize it, and then close it by holding down the SHIFT key and clicking the X.

If these don't help, then you might want to try Brian's forum.

Good luck!

Tom

Tom, all that should work, but I'm a victim of Murphy's Law. IE opens full page. Also, at one time yesterday I bungled into a place that had a choice of normal, smaller, larger, and huge fonts. I went to larger, thinking that might help. Now when I open IE, it is full screen but a bit oversized. I can't find that place to put it back to normal.

Google opens full screen, Outlook Express does, but if I go to 'reply' or 'create', it goes smaller. CRAZY!!!

Lynnl

FiatFan

One thing at a time:

To change the sizew of the font in IE, open IE and go to View on the menu bar and select Text size. Then pick medium and that should return to normal size.

In Outlook Express, try the same tricks as for IE (drag borders to full screen, shift-click to close window). Do this while you have the reply or write window open.

I think I married Murphy's sister! I'm in the middle of rebuilding my wife's computer again.

Anyway, ggod luck!

Tom

Great Gobs of Galloping Gourmet Goulash. IT WORKED.!!!!!! I know for sure I'm not a complete idiot because lots of parts are missing, and I'm not totally dumb because I got a smart mouth.

I sure do appreciate the help. Now if something else don't work, I will know what to try.

Thanks again
Lynn

aslan

1. Try opening IE and rather than maximize, drag the edges out to full screen or as close as you can get to full screen.

2. Try opening IE, maximize it, and then close it by holding down the SHIFT key and clicking the X.

or. . .
Buy a Mac! LOL
No, I'm not trying to open a can of worms.:D
Stan

aslan

I just bought a Mac Mini, which does Mac and Windows and my wife just bought a new Mac laptop that does the same thing. They are very fast with both.
Stan

BrianK

aslan said:
or. . .
Buy a Mac! LOL
No, I'm not trying to open a can of worms.:D
Stan

Consider the can of worms officially opened! J/K :D

But buying a Mac wouldn't solve this problem at all. You can't maximize a window to full screen with Macs ;-)

2-8-2

Steam = Apple
Diesel = Microsoft

It's kind of funny when you think about it. Steve Jobs (Apple) brought the PC to the world. Bill Gates just had some pretty software (which he didn't even create) and the idea of an interface (which he stole from Xerox), and now he's one of the richest people in the world.

I detest Microsoft. I run Windows XP, mostly because it's convenient. I don't use an other of their products...not Internet Explorer, not even their desktop environment. I guess it's just my way of flipping the bird at "the man" and saying I will not conform.