complex curved model

s.d.dawson

May 31, 2010
HI- I’m just finishing 1st year in architecture and for our summer project we’ve been asked to create a detailed model of one of our design pieces. The model I need to construct curves on 2 dimensions so I cannot simple make it out of card.
I was wondering if any of you could suggest some low cost solutions. I have been looking at air drying clay, polyurethane foam and Styrofoam blocks. Are any of these suitable?

Appreciate any help given

cgutzmer

May 30, 2006
Sun Prairie WI
www.ecardmodels.com
yeah - compound curves are a bugger in paper..... they can be done but not by the faint of heart with good results, need lots of strips basically.

can you give us an approximate size? If you are talking modeling clay then you arent talking very high detail... Can we see a sample of the subject? You would be surprised what can be done if ya set your mind to it and think outside the box a bit.

Many times you can skip the compound curve and the textures you put on can kind of fool the eye into thinking its there.
Chris

andreysun

Sep 25, 2010
can you give us an approximate size? If you are talking modeling clay then you arent talking very high detail... Can we see a sample of the subject? You would be surprised what tiffany jewelrycan be done if ya set your mind to it and think outside the box a bit.

silveroxide

Aug 22, 2007
Fayetteville NC
One method I have used, is that of Styrofoam sanded to the shape, saturating it with white glue and when set, gluing strips to the shape in layers and finally sanding lightly to get rid of the seams. Any gap that shows, I then fill it with Spackle compound. This is for a rotunda. Once I get the shape, I detail it with edging strips.

But the question still stands, The size and what kind of architecture are you building. The white House, Taj Mahal, a Basilica, Mosque?

mrln68

Sep 27, 2010
Styrene sheet (Plasticard) is my choice material for thin curves. You can heat it and then shape it by hand or use a surface that mirrors what you are after (bowling balls, coffee cans and the like).

If you can go thicker - Surform rasps and pink (blue or yellow) foam. It is easy enough to carve and shape into really complicated forms, and it is cheap enough.

If I need more detail than I can get easily with the foam - I use polymer clays...not air-dry clays. Sculpey and similar materials are wonderful for that. You can roll it out flat - carve details into it - use forms to support it to get your desired shapes - bake, and call it done.

C

cocolove

But the question still stands, The size and what kind of architecture are you building. The white House, Taj Mahal, a Basilica, Mosque?