Votes: 0 0.0%
  • International Hobby

• Other

• Total voters

jimote

Sep 22, 2005
I have opened a new Hobby Store - I have N and HO scale Train Products, However, i was never a serious hobbyist in this area and there is much i do not know. This is my question.

Life-Like, Kato, Atlas, Peco, Model Power, Bachmann, Rivarossi, Marklin and International Hobby all offer Train Sets. Is the track in any of these sets compatible with other makes of track? If not, are there conversion pieces available to go from one set to another.

Right now in my store, i have Kato and Bachmann N Scale Track and Atlas HO Scale track. If i order Life-Like or International Hobby or Model Power train sets to sell for Christmas am i going to have to buy a brand of track for each of these manufacturers?

I would appreciate any comments giving your knowledge and likes and dislikes in these areas.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Any experience I've had was.. that all the HO track & trains are compatable. as long as it's the same "code" Ex Code 100, Code 80 etc

Al the n gauge items are the same too.. the only time you get into a transition track (Which they sell ) is from Ez track to non EZ track..

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
The Track with roadbed, i.e. the ones that sit up a bit and have fancy locking mechanisms at the end, are all different in the locking mechanisms. The tracks without roadbed are all compatible for the same rail size (code). The LifeLike and Bachman EZ are extremely different (in HO anyways). I haven't tried but I think you might make a compromise section by cutting a section of each in half and sliding the rails around.
The trains are compatible with any track, but you'll need to either concentrate on one brand or stock 3 or 4.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I don't know how many serious modelers use EZ Track, or other pre-balasted track. I know there are some, but it would seem to me that if I were going to stock a store with track, I'd also carry some flex track and Atlas and Peco as well as cork roadbed for those that want to balast their own.

"Starter" sets usually don't come with that much track anyway, usually just a simple oval, and can be replaced with a different type if the right type wasn't in stock, without spending a lot.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
jimote,
Here at Destination Hobby Center, we stock Atlas "true track", Bachmann "Easy track",and some LifeLike "power lock", along with Atlas/Peco/micro engineering flex track, and snap track in HO. In N, we have Atlas, Micro engineering, and Bachmann "easy track". Anything else, we can "special order".
Pete

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
jimote...

Didn't answer your poll - my favourites are not on your list! ;)

I really like the look of MicroEngineering track, and the Walthers/Shinohara new "DCC friendly" turnouts. In terms of code - I plan on having Code 83 as the absolute heaviest track. If I could find smaller, reasonable cost flex in smaller codes, I would use it!

Hope that helps! Good luck with the store... :)

Andrew

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
jimote...

Missed that last bit of your question - No, Lifelike trains do not have to run on Life-like track (etc, etc). And Code 83 track can be joined with Code 100 - it just needs either special rail joiners from the manufacturer, or careful "duct-taping" on your part... :D

Andrew