Comments on the MDC 2-8-0 or Model Power 2-8-2 for Colorado RRs?

riograndefan

Jul 29, 2003
Central Indiana
Visit site
I'm interested in trying to model a Colorado road during the 1920-40s, particularly branchline operations. From what I've seen, I'm not sure that there are many ready to run locomotives out there for this. I have noticed the MDC 2-8-0 and the Model Power 2-8-2. These may be a possibility for this time period, since I believe that some of these Baldwins were run through this time period on the Rio Grande, and I think that the Mikado came on line in the early '20s. Anyone have any experience with these engines, good, bad or indifferent? Any other suggestions? I just don't see anything else out there right now.

Thanks,

Ed

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
I ve got just 1 engine to add and its the best one.
The Bachman spectrum 2-8-0
Its on a scale of 1-10 a solid 9.75.
It would look really good steamin in colorada circa 1920's :)

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Hi Ed,

There are some great running Bachmann 280 out there but many of them had problems. Hopefully you can purchase yours from a local hobby shop and test run it first. I have several MDC 280s and they run beautiful. I also have several Kato mikes and never had a problem with any of them. Hope this helps.

Ron

riograndefan

Jul 29, 2003
Central Indiana
Visit site
Just a quick question.....for those of you who have cautioned me about the Bachmann 2-8-0, do those comments apply to the Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0, as well? According to the NTrak steam book, these are supposed to be quite good.

Just curious....

Thanks,

Ed

garyn

Jul 24, 2003
SF Bay Area, CA
Visit site
I think they do mean the SPECTRUM 2-8-0.

I have 2 of them, one is going back for repair/replacement.

I also have 2 more on order. Shows how much I like them. Well and there is nothing else in a decent 2-8-0.