Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] - Part VII

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Here's one of 4 structures I received in the mail today. Hanson's service station. It'll be boarded up when I'm through with it.

DSCN0692.jpg

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Good morning.

It's 42 cloudy. Looks like the high will be in the 50's and there's light rain on tap.

Spent part of yesterday working on some structures I received in the mail. A Bachmann Plasticville gas station, a small machine shop, a loading dock and a trackside shack. The gas station and loading dock are already on the layout. The gas station will receive som e weathering and will be boarded up. Being across the street from Ezra's gas station isn't good for business in today's economy. I probably won't be doing much today. Wasn't feeling too good this morning.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 3/14/2009

Wind Chill: 37°F
Humidity: 93%
Dew Point: 40°F

So Far Today
High: 43°F
Low: 41°F
Rain: 0.51"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 8mph ENE

Today High: 52 Cloudy with a 20 percent chance of rain. Highs in the lower 50s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 38 Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of rain. Lows in the upper 30s. Northwest winds around 5 mph in the evening becoming northeast after midnight.

DSCN0691.jpg

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Good morning.

It's 47 and cloudy (what else is new?) and there's a chance of rain today. The high will be in the upper 50's.

Didn't get much done yesterday as I was battling some kind of bug until the early afternoon. I did get a couple of new structures placed on the layout. The Bachmann Plasticville machine shop is now across the street from Ezra's gas station on the layout extension and the Bachmann Plasticville gas station is next to the Shell station on the main part of the layout. It will become the 'Pak-A-Pig Barbecue' when I get a chance to work on it. I got my sister's new Acer notebook computer up and running yesterday and got her online last night with a cell modem. It's not much faster than dial-up but it's more than she had. Now she can send emails to her husband in Iraq without having to go to my parents house to use their computer or going next door to use her daughter's laptop.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 3/15/2009

Wind Chill: 46°F
Humidity: 95%
Dew Point: 45°F

So Far Today
High: 47°F
Low: 46°F
Rain: 0.00"
Gust: 6mph NNW

Today High: 58 Cloudy. A 20 percent chance of rain in the morning... Then a 50 percent chance in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 50s. Northwest winds around 5 mph.

Tonight Low: 48 Cloudy with a 40 percent chance of rain. Lows in the upper 40s. West winds 5 to 10 mph in the evening becoming north after midnight.

DSCN0696.jpg

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Good morning.

It's 53 and cloudy here. The high should be in the low 70's and it will be partly cloudy.

The National Weather Service has issued a special bulletin! There will be a strange bright yellow object visible in the sky today. As it hasn't been visible in over a week they want to be sure that it's sudden appearance will not cause a panic. This is not a harbinger of doom, merely the return of good weather. In other news, my sister's new Acer notebook has developed a problem. It works and shuts down fine as long as nothing has been connected to the USB ports. If ANYTHING has been connected to any of the USB ports (it has three) it will not shut down! It just hangs up and crashes. The acer service techs we've talked to say this is totally weird. We did a complete recovery on it on the advice of the service dept and it still does the same thing, indicating that it's a hardware problem. She'll be sending it back to the nationally recognized company she bought it from (QVC) for replacement. This has been my first direct contact with Windows Vista Home Premium and I must say that I'm not favorably impressed with it. Didn't get anything done on the layout yesterday as I was tied up with her computer most of the day. How do I get a day of my life back? Now to get this onto an MR topic, at the bottom of this post is a photo of the structure that will be the 'Pak-a-Pig' barbecue and smoke house, home of authentic Louisiana barbecue.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 3/16/2009

Wind Chill: 54°F
Humidity: 94%
Dew Point: 52°F

So Far Today
High: 54°F
Low: 52°F
Gust: 6mph NE

Today High: 72 Mostly cloudy early in the morning then becoming partly cloudy in the morning then becoming mostly sunny in the afternoon. Warmer. Highs in the lower 70s. North winds around 5 mph.

Tonight Low: 52 Clear. Lows in the lower 50s. Northeast winds around 5 mph.

DSCN0704.jpg

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Good morning.

It's 53 and cloudy. The high will be in the upper 70's and it will be partly cloudy as we see a welcome stranger called 'the sun' putting in an appearance.

Did some work on getting a loading dock set in place yesterday next to the southwest spur just across the road from the new machine shop. I then spent some time shuffling some structures around. Wonder how Ezra would feel about having his home right on top of his garage? I've heard of being close to your work before but it seems like a good idea for a home in an industrial area. Had to go in for an MRI this morning. Got that done then waited 20 minutes at a railroad crossing for a train to pass. Got a real good look at a GATX tank car full of Sherwin Williams paint. Today I'll be doing some work on the layout again and this afternoon I'll be going to the parents house for pizza.

Today High: 78 Cloudy early in the morning then becoming sunny in the afternoon. Patchy fog in the morning. Highs in the upper 70s. Northeast winds around 5 mph.

Tuesday Night Low: 52 Clear. Lows in the lower 50s. Southeast winds around 5 mph.

DSCN0705.jpg

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Been doing a little work on the layout today. Got a couple of trackside shacks put together and pieced together an old two stall brick engine house. Now I have tyo find new places for the fire station and the O.L. King and Sons building.

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Good morning.

It's 46 and partly cloudy here. The high is projected to be in the high 70's and it will be partly cloudy.

I put together a couple of trackside shacks and an old 2 stall engine house yesterday. Placing the larger structure meant relocating the fire station and the O.L. King and Sons building. The fire dept has been moved to the east side of the south engine house and now has an old rusty steamer on it's back lot while the O.L. King building is just to the immediate west side of the south engine house and east of the old brick engine house which the south engine house replaced. The brick engine house is now used for repairing freight cars and has a single track going into it. Several minor structures were also shifted. Ezra's house is now atop the garage of his service station. The old Sundown freight station has been moved to the service spur on the main part of the layout and Rodney Craig's house now occupies the spot vacated by the Sundown freight station. I'm still looking for a place to put the Freezee ice cream building. I've removed the glass enclosure from the front of it as it looked too much like an old McDonald's building for my taste. Now that everybody is thoroughly confused it's time to move on to new business. Exactly what that will be is a mystery even to me as todays schedule is open.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 3/18/2009

Wind Chill: 46°F
Humidity: 91%
Dew Point: 44°F

So Far Today
High: 50°F
Low: 46°F
Rain: 0.01"
Gust: 0mph NNE

Today High: 78 Mostly sunny. Patchy dense fog early in the morning. Highs in the upper 70s. Southeast winds around 5 mph.

Tonight Low: 52 Mostly clear until late night then becoming partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 50s. Southeast winds around 5 mph.

DSCN0725.jpg

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Good morning.

It's 48 and clear. The high should be in the upper 70's and it will be partly cloudy.

Got a bunch of work done on the low end industry on the extreme south end of the layout yesterday. It only served to point out how much work still lies ahead (*groan*). I don't envision getting much done today. I have an appointment with the foot doc at 2 pm so that's gonna pretty well trash the afternoon. I went yesterday to look at the 'completed' layout of another modeler. It was good but hardly what I would term as complete. Structures set out with gaps visible at the bottom, majority of the scenery was grass mat and the background was a haphazard collection of cutup photos that varied in size. The layout was built primarily for running with very little emphasis on operation or switching and was severely lacking in interesting scenery. I made some suggestions to the builder/owner on how to improve it, all of which he eagerly wrote down in a small notebook. I gave him a short one on one lesson on how to close up the gaps at the bottom of the structures with a quick application of the proper scenic material, a little alcohol and some 50/50 water/glue mix. I then showed him how to dramatically improve the backdrop imagery. With the availability of pictures on the internet it's not hard to piece together a good looking background image. This in no way made him think that I was putting his efforts down. The entire purpose of my presence there was to show him how to improve what he had already done. He had taken one look at my layout and decided that his needed some real help. That's quite a compliment when you consider that mine is nowhere near complete. I'll be going back there in a couple of weeks for a two hour session to teach him more about how to lay out and build up scenery. Just putting some blended turf and clump foliage on the grass mat made a dramatic improvement.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 3/19/2009

Wind Chill: 48°F
Humidity: 95%
Dew Point: 47°F

So Far Today
High: 57°F
Low: 48°F
Gust: 0mph NNE

Today High: 78 Mostly sunny early in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. Patchy fog early in the morning. Highs in the upper 70s. North winds around 5 mph.

Tonight Low: 52 Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 50s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

P3180078.jpg

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Nope. Mikey moved over to the other site. I'll be here once or twice a day until the end.

Good morning.

It's 56 and sunny. The high should be in the mid 70's and it will be partly cloudy.

I didn't get much done on the layout yesterday with the exception of building a small berm around the bases of some buildings so they don't look like they're just sitting there on top of the ground. One of the lectures I remember from Wayne Wesolowski was to 'plant those buildings'. I went to check my snail mail yesterday and found a large box beside the mailbox. It contained a number of homemade trees and two bags, one of green turf and the other of clump foliage. That saves me from having to drive to Alexandria to get more turf and foliage for a while. I may be planting trees this weekend. The doc has me on some pretty stout antibiotics this time around and I feel like a wrung out dish rag. I feel so tired I could just go back to bed and stay there. However there are things that must be done.

Today High: 75 Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 70s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 52 Mostly clear early in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 50s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

DSCN0764.jpg

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Good morning.

It's 54 and clear. The high will be in the upper 70's and it will be partly cloudy.

Spent part of the day yesterday getting Ezra's home situation taken care of. He likes being close to his work so he had his house built on top of his gas station. The resulting structure is pretty wild but I can remember seeing similar buildings during my childhood. I often thought about what it must be like to live in one. Well I may not live in one but that doesn't mean I can't model one. It's today's feature photo at the bottom of this post. I also spent some time working on the old brick two stall engine house converted to car barn and workshop. The cellophane type window panes looked like cellophane so I removed them. They will be replaced in time with glazed plastic panes. Those are easy enough to make. Just cut what's needed from one or more of those Wal-Mart packages you almost need a jack hammer to get open, trim the pieces to size, spray lightly with Matte-Finish. After they're dry attach them to the inside of the window with model cement. Works for me.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 3/21/2009

Wind Chill: 53°F
Humidity: 57%
Dew Point: 39°F

So Far Today
High: 59°F
Low: 54°F
Gust: 7mph E

Today High: 78 Mostly sunny until late afternoon then becoming partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 70s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 52 Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 50s. Southeast winds around 5 mph.

DSCN0790.jpg