Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] - Part VII

sir james

Dec 22, 2007
mich
Still cold and will be for quite awhile yet. Did a little training today, all went well. not much can be done outside so tv and CTT is what I do...S.J.

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Good morning.

It's 63 and cloudy. The high should be around 70 and there's a chance of rain.

If all goes to plan today will be the day I get the work on the doors of my old Walther's backwoods engine house done. For those who are familiar with this structure you know that it has two doors side by side in the front and they are extremely narrow, more narrow even than a single track tunnel portal on a straight stretch of track. My intention is to remove the section that divides them. This will enable me to run in two tracks from a turnout directly in front of the structure. To place the turnout anywhere else is completely out of the question.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 1/27/2009

Wind Chill: 63°F
Humidity: 100%
Dew Point: 63°F

So Far Today
High: 64°F
Low: 63°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 16mph S

cond024.gif
Today High: 72 Mostly cloudy. Patchy fog early in the morning. A 20 percent chance of showers in the afternoon. Warmer. Highs in the lower 70s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

cond014.gif
Tonight Low: 40 A chance of showers in the evening...then rain likely after midnight. Colder. Lows around 40. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

IMAG0005.jpg

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Good morning.

It's 39 and cloudy here in the Sportsman's Paradise with a light rain falling. The high should be around the mid 40's with the rain tapering off.

I got the work done on the engine house doors yesterday effectively making them into one large door. Walther's probably didn't have that in mind when they made the kit but it lends itself to modification so easily. At the moment there's one track going into it. Eventually there will be two.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 1/28/2009

Wind Chill:
35°F
Humidity:
99%
Dew Point:
40°F

So Far Today
High:
48°F
Low:
40°F
Rain:
0.03"
Rain Rate:
0.00"/h
Gust:
30mph NNW

cond076.gif
Now through 07:00 AM CST January 28, 2009

A cold front has pushed through southeast Texas and southwest Louisiana this morning. Winds have picked up behind the front and are rather strong and gusty at times. Winds will taper off through the morning hours. Patches of light rain and drizzle will continue to fall for the next several hours. Rainfall rates will average less than 1/10 inch per hour. Temperatures will fall into the 40s before sunrise.

cond087.gif
Today
High: 45 Cloudy with a 30 percent chance of rain in the morning... Then partly cloudy in the afternoon. Much cooler. Highs in the mid 40s. North winds 10 to 15 mph.

cond002.gif
Tonight
Low: 32 Partly cloudy early in the evening then becoming mostly clear. Lows in the lower 30s. North winds around 5 mph.

P1280901.jpg

sir james

Dec 22, 2007
mich
Hi Jeffrey, snow overnite, about 2 inchs or less. No trains today just didn't get to there today...Have a great tomorrow..S.J.

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Good morning.

It's just below freezing here at 31 and it's cloudy. The high is expected to be in the high 50's and it will be partly cloudy. Friday is coming into view and will soon be in torpedo range!

Well I went camera shopping yesterday. I looked at the ones at Walgreen's but none were set up for demonstration so I went over to Wal-Mart. Try as I might I couldn't find the Kodak Easy-Share 713. The Kodak Easy-Share 813 was on display however so I tried it. The results were less than spectacular. It worked OK from a distance but had a lot of trouble with close-up shots, even with no zoom. By close-up I mean within a foot. I tried several others, some just didn't seem to balance well in my hands (no feeling there) and weren't easily held onto. Then I came across a Nikon Cool-Pix L18. I seem to remember somebody telling me they had great success with one of these. I tried it and found it extremely easy to use, easy to hold onto and balance and was essentially point and shoot. I tried several shots with it and was quite pleased. One shot was of the store shelf and was within six inches at full zoom. It was crisp and clear. The focus was so sharp I thought I might get cut. I checked the price. Not bad, just under $100. I looked for one on the shelf and wouldn't you know it, out of stock. Well all is not lost. Upon returning home I did an internet search for it. I found a lot of places that advertised it but most had a message that I really dislike. Out of stock / discontinued. After searching more sites than I care to count I finally located one and for $20 less and with free shipping. I checked the availability to be sure. Yep, it was there. I immediately ordered it and it should be here within a couple of weeks. Does this mean I'll stop using the old Olympus? Not on your life! I'll keep using it until it either shrivels up and dies or I can no longer get cards for it. There are a couple of cards on the way but there's no guarantee they'll work. At present I have one operational SM card (64MB) and I get error messages on it periodically.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 1/29/2009

Wind Chill: 27°F
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 29°F

So Far Today
High: 32°F
Low: 31°F
Gust: 8mph NE

Today High: 58 Mostly cloudy early then becoming mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 50s. North winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 32 Mostly clear. Lows in the lower 30s. North winds 5 to 10 mph.

P1010123.jpg

John Baker

Nov 9, 2007
Cheshire. UK.
My hands shake that much that even using a tripod dosen't help.Bad weather due this weekend temps down to minus 5/26 0f yours and snow.
Plenty of work for the grit[ter]s.:winter1:

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Man, I really went on a spending spree this week. In one day I bought a SM card for my Olympus D550Z camera, a new Nikon L18 camera so I can get the kind of close-up shots I've been wanting to do and a #5 right-hand turnout so I can split the track going to the north engine house. That comes to a total of $202.43. The train budget is gonna be kinda slim for a couple of months or so while I get that paid down. My credit card is smoking!

sir james

Dec 22, 2007
mich
Good Evening, 27 and lite snow again. ran some errands today and talked trains with a friend via e-mail. Also with Brutus.....TTFN...S.J.

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Checked into a new MAF sensor for my car today. Autozone wants $242 for it! On a cold day in he!!. I'll get one from a scrap yard first. I can pick up 11 or 12 for that price. One of them would have to be good. Picked up a little something in Alexandria today along with a package of half section 18" radius curve tracks today. This came from a place called Great Planes Models Distributors Company.

P1300902.jpg

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Good morning.

It's 35 and clear. The high will be in the high 60's and it will be partly cloudy.

Went to Alexandria yesterday and picked up a couple of things. One was a pack of half section 18" radius curves and the other was a Bachmann locomotive set containing two UP GP40's and a rather cheesy looking offset cupola caboose. I have zero interest in the caboose. I bought the set primarily because of the second loco. It's a dummy unit that I have plans for. The other unit is powered but was built with 6 wheel pickup and 4 wheel drive. After some work last night I rebuilt the powered unit. It's now 8 wheel pickup and 8 wheel drive. My plan for the dummy unit is to weight it by packing modeling clay into it's plastic frame. It will then take it's place behind my two SDP40F's. I don't have any real plans for today so I'll take it as it comes along. I can't do any work on the track to the north engine house until the turnout gets here anyway.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 1/31/2009

Wind Chill: 37°F
Humidity: 81%
Dew Point: 32°F

So Far Today
High: 40°F
Low: 35°F
Gust: 0mph NNE

cond026.gif
Today High: 68 Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 60s. Southwest winds around 5 mph.

cond002.gif
Tonight Low: 42 Mostly clear early in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. Not as cool. Lows in the lower 40s. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

P1310911.jpg

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Good Afternoon Everyone. A nice day here today. Had a major storm move through yesterday and last night. We are supposed to get hit with another major one. This time it is going to be worse than this past one. Haven't done anything with the trains yet. Still unpacking from the move to the new house. Hope everyone here is doing good. Have A Great Day Guys.

sir james

Dec 22, 2007
mich
Good evening, No new snow but also no sun today but I'll take the no snow part and go from there. Ran the new GG1 today and all is well...S.J.

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Good morning.

It's 47 and partly cloudy with rain on the way. The high will be in the upper 60's.

Yesterday I received two items in the mail. One is an 8 mb SM memory card I can use for my Olympus camera and the other is the #5 right-hand turnout I ordered from Bachmann last week. It was sent from Midloathian Texas. Up to now I had never heard of the place so I looked it up. Turns out it's about halfway between where I am now and my home town of Troup Texas. I had originally thought to have the two tracks into the engine house side by side but I got to thinking about it (do I hear insurance companies going bankrupt?) and there's enough room in there to have one track angled so I think that's what I'll do. There's a hole in the foam in that area so with a little extra planning I can make a pit under the track. I think that would be a great little project. Only thing is I hav eto wait a few days while I get used to this new med the doc me on. Avodart. It really has a punch the first time you use it.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 2/1/2009

Wind Chill: 51°F
Humidity: 78%
Dew Point: 47°F

So Far Today
High: 54°F
Low: 40°F
Gust: 9mph SSE

Today High: 68 Partly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers in the morning...then mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 60s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 48 Showers likely and isolated thunderstorms. Lows in the upper 40s. East winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60 percent.

P1220888.jpg

sir james

Dec 22, 2007
mich
Sun and low 40s today, I may be watching a tv program tonite so just checking in now. No trains yet today...S.J.