Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] - Part VII

jeffrey-wimberl

Temp here is 54° but feels like 44°. The weather guesser was saying the high would be 68° but I don't think it's gonna make it. It's also raining. A long slow drizzling rain and that makes it feel even colder. Tonight the temp will go down to 32° with a wind chill of 23° with rain continuing to fall. Tomorrow isn't gonna be much better. 47° with a chill of 44° and a passing shower, so the weather guesser says, but since when has the weatherman been able to predict the weather, much less the future.

sir james

Good Evening, only news here is the weather. Rained all nite,51 at 8am and 32 by 10am. As low as 12 tonite. Nothing new in the local train world, Lionel did ship some 027 type stuff, but the big dollar items have not arrived. Good for me, bad for the store...TTFN..S.J.

jefelectric

Good evening gang,

Counted church money this morning and then just crashed. Don't feel to peppy today, not sure why just not up to normal. Did do a little bit on the doll house, just 10 days to go and almost finished.

Thanks for all your work n gauger. See you down the road.

CSXect, Gargraves has a track laying video, which might be a good investment if you are going with their track. Here is a link.

http://www.gargraves.com/video.htm

Brutus

CSX - shoot me a PM, I've lost your email address when I switched computers.

N-Gauger, see ya down the road man, thanks for the hard work.

Ice storm last night and supposed to get snow tonight and then more tomorrow and then Thursday too. Yuck! Nobody "salted" the drive and walk while I was at work today, so it will be a lot of fun tomorrow :(

Watching torpedoes on the bay - some cool stuff out there!

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
It looks like we have one messy day or two coming. We have rain tomorrow changing to sleet and snow, and finally freezing rain overnight into Wednesday morning. Snow I can deal with but ice is impossible. They are saying that tomorrow’s evening commute could be dicey. Hopefully things will be cleared up by Thursday as my wife has an outreach in Bear, DE.

Jefelectric I see they have you under a Winter Storm Watch. It looks like Les is just far enough south to avoid all the fun.

BTW, I hate P2K kits.

Chief Eagles

Evening all. Ribbon cutting went well. Mayors' Christmas party was great. Ate too much. Now off to bed. Hope all the folks in line for snow, sleet and freezing rain stay warm and keep electrical. Later

CSXect

Good evening gang,

Counted church money this morning and then just crashed. Don't feel to peppy today, not sure why just not up to normal. Did do a little bit on the doll house, just 10 days to go and almost finished.

Thanks for all your work n gauger. See you down the road.

CSXect, Gargraves has a track laying video, which might be a good investment if you are going with their track. Here is a link.

http://www.gargraves.com/video.htm

Jefelectric , have video just need to redo my math and get the proper clamp:eek:sign1

jeffrey-wimberl

Good morning.

it's 36 and cloudy with light rain. Today's high should be in the mid 40's with light rain continuing.

Yesterday I got my Heinz 57 GP50 put back together and running under DCC control. I also rebuilt one of my old Athearn GP38's . It will be paired up with my SF Kodachrome GP38 in the near future. Went to see the foot doc yesterday. The remnants of the infection that was trying to start before Thanksgiving is gone. That's news I was happy to get.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 12/16/2008

Wind Chill: 31°F
Humidity: 98%
Dew Point: 35°F

So Far Today
High: 37°F
Low: 36°F
Rain: 0.11"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 20mph NNE

Now through 06:15 AM CST December 16, 2008

Scattered showers will continue over the coastal waters along a cold front located from east of Marsh Island southwest to 80 nm south of Grand Chenier. Behind the front...scattered patches of light rain will occur across the coastal waters mainly west of Cameron and inland across southeast Texas and southwest Louisiana. This activity will move northeast at 35 mph. Rainfall will be light with amounts less than one tenth of an inch per hour.

Today High: 45 Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of rain. Cooler. Highs in the mid 40s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 42 Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of rain. Lows in the lower 40s. East winds around 5 mph.

P1010669.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Good morning folks

It was 40 F as I headed onto the accident filled roadways this morning. Apparently 40 is our high since the weather guessers are saying 38 F will be the high. We are expecting one of the Four Horsemen today and his name is snow. It isn’t even snowing and people are spinning out and running into one another this morning.

My daughter wanted to get me something for Christmas. She saw it on Sunday but did not have a coupon for it. We got the coupon last night and went back to the store and of course they did not now have it. The salesclerk told my wife and daughter that the store never carried the item. So we had to go to another store. Store number 2 was sold out of it but they were nice enough to call around and found it at store number 3. So off to store number 3 we went and they got it.

I finished adding the details to the two 2PK Mather stock cars. I can say that I hate P2K kits. They are an exercise in repairing broken parts and frustrations. I still have to put the trucks and couplers on. I got out an Accurail B&O stock car and finished 80% of it in an hour. I still have to add the brake wheel, trucks, and couplers. If I get any more stock cars they will either be RTR or Accurail kits.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Brutus

Good morning - thanks for the picture, Jeffrey! Glad to hear that your infection is cleared up. Did you get your glasses yet?

Ice and snow here in St. Louis, so kids are off school. My turn to stay home - yay!

L

lester perry

It looks like we have one messy day or two coming. We have rain tomorrow changing to sleet and snow, and finally freezing rain overnight into Wednesday morning. Snow I can deal with but ice is impossible. They are saying that tomorrow’s evening commute could be dicey. Hopefully things will be cleared up by Thursday as my wife has an outreach in Bear, DE.

Jefelectric I see they have you under a Winter Storm Watch. It looks like Les is just far enough south to avoid all the fun.

BTW, I hate P2K kits.

Tom first may I ask what kind of out reach in bear? PM if desired. Second as far as the weather goes for me ,there is something about the Chesapeake and Delaware canal that causes weather changes. If you watch snow will stop there going north or south, rain also. I have watched severe weather turn there and go to Jersey. Sometime when just sitting around during winter storms go to a weather radar site and watch the weather in Delaware. Last,as far as PK2k kits go I used to love them. that was before the stroke. Now my vision is not so hot and I can't see to put the small parts on. the big stuff is no problem. I feel the are superior to almost all lower priced and maybe higher priced cars. That I don't know as I don't have any high priced cars. they are fantastic on the layout, easy to pull, track well and look great.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Les

I like the look of the P2K stuff and how it performs. My problems stem from eyesight and a shaky hand. I have been near-sighted since the 1st grade but I can work around it and the bifocals and an over the counter reading glasses help. The shaky hand comes from a car accident 15 years ago. I can only hold things still and tight for short periods of time. After keeping my arm rigid for a while the muscles will start to spasm. I had surgery which took care of the pain and improved the overall range of mobility. The shaking makes putting small details on a difficult task at times.

sir james

Good Evening, cold 22 all day, now snow has arrived 3 To 4 inchs by morning they say. No trains as wife wanted some errands done and I decided to beat the snow and go today. glad I did snow just started but has covered the ground already. Have a good tomorrow...S.J.

Chief Eagles

Evening all. Came home from a long public hearing to a house full of in-laws. From little Great Niece to SILs and MIL. Now for calm. Cold and rainy. Dropped from 60 to 40 in a few hours. Good night.

jefelectric

BTW, I hate P2K kits.

Tom, We got it. Luckily I am retired, but my wife still works. She drove to the office this morning, then brought the car home at noon and I took her back to work. Our son (her boss) brought her home. I enjoy watching the commuters on TV. :thumb:

Your post on building stock cars brought back memories of building wood stock car kits back in the 50s. They were mostly Main Line kits as I recall. Lots and lots of parts. The sides were painted and lettered but the edges of the slats were not, so you had to hand paint the edges and the insides if you wanted them painted. Built lots of Ambroid, Red Ball & other wood kits. All HO of course.

Here is what it looked like at 3 PM.

ry%3D400

It went down hill from here. wall1

jeffrey-wimberl

Good morning.

It's 44, wet and very foggy here by the lake. The high will be in the mid 50's and it will be partly cloudy.

The SPSF and MGRy GP38-2's made their first run around the layout together yesterday pulling an 18 car train. There were no problems to report. With these two growlers running the rails there's no need to even THINK about adding sound. They supply all their own. The biggest difference between them (besides paint) is one has plastic handrails and the other has metal handrails.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 12/17/2008

Wind Chill: 42°F
Humidity: 100%
Dew Point: 45°F

So Far Today
High: 45°F
Low: 43°F
Rain: 0.04"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 6mph NNE

Now through 10:00 AM CST December 17, 2008

Through 10 AM...isolated rain showers will continue to develop and move northeast over parts of east Texas...western Louisiana...and the adjacent coastal waters. Most of these showers will affect locations to the west of a line from 40 nm south of Cameron...to Mittie...and to Alexandria. This includes Fannett...Beaumont...Lumberton and Buna...over east Texas...and De Ridder...fort Polk...and Flatwoods over Louisiana. Rainfall amounts will continue to be generally light...averaging around one tenth of an inch or less.

Today High: 55 Areas of fog early in the morning. Cloudy with a 20 percent chance of rain. Not as cool. Highs in the mid 50s. Northeast winds around 5 mph.

Tonight Low: 58 Cloudy. Patchy fog after midnight. Warmer. Lows in the upper 50s. East winds around 5 mph.

P1010682.jpg