Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Here's some photos of the big willow laying on the bridge. The bridge is five feet wide and I'm not sure how long, it's pretty long though.

Here you can see the ripped up roots.
P1010151.jpg

Here I'm at the root ball looking toward the bridge.
P1010153.jpg

Now I'm standing at the boat house looking east toward the bridge. Over 15 feet of the tree is on the bridge.
P1010162.jpg

I had my father (6' 3") stand in front of another willow. It's about 10 feet shorter than the one that fell. Get this! It's leaning over him at a 45 degree angle. Does that give you an idea how big this sucker is?
P1010166.jpg

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
ike

Jeffrey, you got it worse than I did. The "eye" went directly over me. A couple broken pecan limbs is the only damage. I don't think my power even flickered, but others a mile away lost power. Only 1 3/4 inches of rain. You were on the east side, and that is the worst place to be. I guess I lucked out.

Lynn

sir james

Dec 22, 2007
mich
HOWDY ALL, Ike came through here today,parts of Mich. got more rain than I did, but we got downpours and wind this afternoon, Yesterday we got 2 3/4 inch's of rain in my Maxwell House rain guage.I'll check in the morning to see what we got today. No trains watched the Detroit Lions make fools of themselves again. Have a great monday..S.J.

Brutus

Nov 8, 2007
Man - that will be a job getting rid of that tree, I hope the bridge is okay. Glad nobody was hurt. I just worked on the basement all day. I have the walls of the play room all drywall'd. Need to finish a piece of wall going up the stairs and some overhead stuff for the drop ceiling to go under the air service and some plumbing. I can't do the bedroom until I get some stuff moved out of the way and that will require help. Inside of bathroom will be the last job due to cost for one thing!

Nov 17, 2007
Columbia, S.C.
Morning all up a little early this am so had time to say hi (woke at 4:45 instead of my 5:00) so running a little ahead of my self lol. About to head out to work. then I have the next 2 days off. :thumb: Not a lot happening here should get my TMCC NS and Chessie tomorrow (Fedex) Talk to you all later

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Good morning.

It's 70 and mostly cloudy here. The high is expected to be around 80 and it will be mostly cloudy with a slight chance of rain.

I installed decoders (Bachmann #44914) in three locomotives last night. The Athearn/Bachmann GP40 hybrid, A new Athearn F7-A and my Atlas GP40. I'm also working on two old Mantua flatcars.They WILL be made to look less toylike by the time I've finished with them.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 9/15/2008

Wind Chill: 68°F
Humidity: 78%
Dew Point: 61°F

So Far Today
High: 74°F
Low: 68°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 17mph NNE

Today High: 80 Partly cloudy with a slight chance of showers. Highs around 80. North winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 60 Partly cloudy. Lows around 60. North winds 5 to 10 mph.

P1010168.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Good morning folks

It was 78 and sticky as I headed in this morning. High today will be 83 F. They say the humidity will be going down and it will be more pleasant. Yesterday the heat and humidity were brutal. It felt like we were in the tropics. The only outside activity we did was trim the hedges in the backyard after dinner.

Saturday we spent the day at a birthday party. We thought we would be there for a couple of hours but since everyone was having fun we stayed well into the evening. My son did not make his football as a result but I had already figured that there was a strong possibility he would not and had told the coaches ahead of time.

No modeling got done this weekend.

This will be a busy week with Cub Scouts. Wednesday is our Welcome Back and Open House. I have some prep work to finish for it.

I hope everybody has a good day.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Wow Jeffrey!! That just "looks" bad!! :) Can't imagine how that looks in person.. Even overwhelming in the Pics!!!

As has been said, hope the bridge is ok and that it won't cost "too much" to have it removed...

I would have never noticed the "45 deg angle" of the other tree if you hadn't mentioned it.. Huge trees them Willows!! :D :D Beautiful as long as they stay their ground..

So far - our weather is exactly as Tom said - Hot - little humidity - cold front coming through after dinner.....

Nothing trains done this weekend, just worked on our Geocaching Club website (about 9 hours in 2 days) and I met the new "Grand-puppy" a German Shepard... nothing "Small" about her.. :eek:

The kids came over and cooked us Sunday Dinner... T-bone and porterhouse steaks and Potato Salad, stuffed clams and shrimp.... no reason - just wanted to :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Food ALWAYS tastes better when it's free!! sign1sign1

Great seeing them - we hardly ever get to "Sit & chat" because everyone but me works those wacky retail store hours, so someone is always away at work... :(

Makes me appreciate my 8 - 5-er :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Brutus

Nov 8, 2007
Cold this morning, about 57 when I got up. I think it got up to the high 60's - I guess it's getting close to Fall weather?

sir james

Dec 22, 2007
mich
Good evening, Like Brutus the temp. for today was in the 60s warmer before the week ends though. No trains today my friend called to take me to our favorite store but I declined, head is still feeling weird and the couch is so comfy. take care all and here's hoping everyone is ok after the storms....S.J.

jefelectric

Jul 9, 2006
Elizabethtown, PA
A good evening to everyone,

Very nice weather here today. Watched the evening news with Jean and have to say there was not a lot of good news this evening. Financial mess, Ike, Train wreck, + lots of local bad stuff.

Hope to finish prefab and finish of train shelves tomorrow. Then it will just be a mater of getting them to the basement and assembling them. It has taken quited a while, but I need clear, low humidity weather for the finish and that has been a rare thing the past month. Plus Tuesday is my only day that I can spend the whole day on a project. Retirement is so stressful.
:mrgreen:

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Good evening. The broadband internet was down in my area for over 12 hours today so naturally I haven't been online. On the other hand, I did get a bit done on the layout today.

I got several items in the mail today. An envelope with several Athearn caboose chimney pipes in it and a box containing two freight cars. A unmarked gondola and an unmarked covered hopper.

Here's the gondola
P1010183.jpg

And here's the covered hopper
P1010181.jpg

Here's how I make the center of a railroad crossing. I set pieces of waxed dress shoestring against the inside edges of the rails then use bits of modeling clay to close the ends and to hold the string in place.
P1010170.jpg

I then use a 2 inch plastic putty knife to apply some wallboard joint compound in the space between the strings.
P1010174.jpg

After the compound has set I pull the strings out and instant flangeways. They'll look better once they're trimmed and painted.
P1010178.jpg

I also did a straight one.
P1010176.jpg

And I put in a couple of road sections.
P1010193.jpg

P1010192.jpg

The new gondola is already being put to use. It has a load of some very heavy concrete wall sections.
P1010188.jpg

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Good morning.

It's 61 and clear. The high is expected to be around 80 and it'll be partly cloudy.

Since I had no internet service for most of yesterday I put some time in on the layout. I made two railroad crossings and two parts of roads. There's still more to do, as always. I also worked on two freight cars I received in the mail yesterday. Nothing major, just changing the trucks out. They had sprung trucks on them and I've always had bad problems with sprung trucks. They're real nice on really smooth track but on a somewhat rougher track like mine they tend to not do well.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 9/16/2008

Wind Chill: 60°F
Humidity: 75%
Dew Point: 52°F

So Far Today
High: 63°F
Low: 60°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 7mph NNE

Today High: 80 Partly cloudy. Highs around 80. North winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 58 Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 50s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

P1010185.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Good morning folks

It was a cooler 63 F this morning with less humidity than the last few days. High today will be 74 F. They say we will see the sun later today but right now it is pretty overcast.

My daughter had her first day of volleyball try-outs for the 7th grade middle school team.

No modeling last night. My son and I did look over the layout some trying to decide what gets done next.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Chief Eagles

Sep 30, 2005
Rolesville NC [just north of Raleigh]
Morning. Cooler [fall like] and cloudy. May hvae showers. Got ribbon cutting and open house for new Town Hall. First official Board meeting in TH. Hope all those in Texas recoveing from Ike find it easier than it looks. Feel for them. Have a good one.

Brutus

Nov 8, 2007
Nice pics Jeffrey. Where is everyone? No posts since this morning? Oh well - nice day in St. Louis. Got to talk to two guys at work about toy trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.