Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Went to Lowe's today and picked up some items. One (1) gallon of white Elmer's glue, a three pound tub of wallboard joint compound, two packs of Super Glue Gel and a two inch plastic putty knife. Does anybody see some layout work coming on?

sir james

Dec 22, 2007
mich
A quick HELLO, as not much going on today. I did do the laundry, wife sorts first and I go from there. Overcast and 78 today with rain just south of here. No trains today at all. Have a good weekend, and Texas folk hang onto your hat, good luck and stay safe...S.J.

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Good morning.

I think there's something wrong with weather equipment. It says it's 81 here. We have extremely cloudy skies and a lot of wind. The high today is expected to be around the mid 80's and there's a good chance of thunderstorms.

I got a lot of layout work done yesterday. I finished the plaster pouring in the new area, put a culvert pipe in place and ballasted the new track. I got three Bachmann decoders in the mail yesterday. They'll be going into some locos soon, including my newly built Bachmann/Athearn GP40

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 9/13/2008

Heat Index: 87°F
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 75°F

So Far Today
High: 81°F
Low: 79°F
Rain: 0.27"
Rain Rate: 0.08"/h
Gust: 49mph SE

Important Message

Tropical storm wind warning in effect until 10 PM cdt this evening. Flash flood watch in effect through Sunday morning. Tornado watch 900 in effect until 10 AM cdt this morning.
Now through 07:30 AM CDT September 13, 2008

National weather service radar indicates the eye of Hurricane ike is just north of Galveston Bay...or over eastern Harris and western Liberty County. The rainshield of ike continues across all of southeast Texas...where sustained winds of 50 to 70 mph...and gusts up to 80 mph will be common. The rainshield extends across western Louisiana...with heavier rainbands across Cameron...Calcasieu...and Beauregard parishes where the tornado threat will be the greatest within the next couple of hours.

Today High: 82 Tropical storm conditions expected. Showers and isolated thunderstorms. Highs in the lower 80s. Southeast winds 35 to 45 mph in the morning becoming south and decreasing to 30 to 35 mph in the afternoon. Gusts up to 55 mph in the morning decreasing to 50 mph in the afternoon. Chance of rain near 100 percent.

Tonight Low: 75 Showers likely and isolated thunderstorms. Locally heavy rainfall possible. Breezy. Lows in the mid 70s. South winds 20 to 25 mph with gusts to around 30 mph in the evening decreasing to 10 to 15 mph with gusts to around 20 mph after midnight. Chance of rain 80 percent.

P1010127.jpg

Brutus

Nov 8, 2007
Glad you are okay, Jeffrey. I worked OT this morning and we're going to a birthday party tonight, so talk to you all later.

sir james

Dec 22, 2007
mich
GOOD EVENING, lots of rain and 2 to 4 inches forecast for tomorrow. So rain and football is it for today. Trains are waiting for another day...S.J.

Brutus

Nov 8, 2007
My buddy got a digital projector for his birthday and we just got home from a screening of Star Wars (original one) on a huge screen - I think it was about 8 feet by 20 feet? Man - very cool!

Brutus

Nov 8, 2007
Mikey - I was thinking I could have a 4 ft by 10 ft screen over/behind my layout if I planned things right.... Man, the projector set him back about 650, but then he also got the screen, a replacement bulb, etc. I think he is probably out $1k on the whole setup. It was 720p, which is more detail than a regular tv, but it's the low-end of high def. I think he's going to hang it from his floor joists in his basement sometime today and then just watch movies all day - I would! He needs to add an outlet, but I think it will be a couple weeks before I could get over there to help him as I planned to work on my own basement today and next weekend I will be fishing.... We'll see!

Jeffrey, our power keeps flickering this morning due to Ike winds I guess -- all the way up here in St. Louis now.

jefelectric

Jul 9, 2006
Elizabethtown, PA
Morning. Early Church and SS. Then went to Teeter for buy one, get one free so we could stock up for Lake House. Hot and humid. Cooling tomorrow into the 70's. Hope to finish utility trailer this afternoon. Later

Chief, All the best on the lake house, enjoy it while you are young. :mrgreen:

After owning a house at the Atlantic beach for 10 years, I can honestly say that two of my happiest days were the day I bought it and the day that I sold it. Keeping up two places wears a little thin after a while.

Hope everyone is surviving the nasty weather around the country. So far we have only had .7" of rain over the last couple of days, none so far from Ike, but I think we may get some of that soon.

Had a nice lunch at Church today, once a year thing for those that have been a member for 50 years or over. Not me, my wife, I'm only a 42 year member. Keep in mind that she was very young when she joined. :yep:

Enjoy the rest of the week end.

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
The only severe storm damage that my parents had from the storm was a thirty + foot tall willow got blown over onto a wood bridge going to an island behind their property. From what I can see the railing on the left side of the bridge is smashed. Whether or not the deck is comprimised we don't know yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.