Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Eagles

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DOUG!!!! bday1balloon6

No time to read all the posts today. Had grat day on the lake. Real windy but the Ranger ran great. Good night all.

dwiemer

good morning! Got a early case today. Finished the storm door installations yesterday...was very tired and so went to bed early. No plans for after I leave here today. Bride is spending the day at the spa, so I hope that when I get home, I'll get to spend some time working on the railroad. Chief, glad the boat ran well. One of the guys here had some trouble with dirt daubers in his engine while it was stored.
Hope everyone has a blessed day.
dennis

kpolak

One of the guys here had some trouble with dirt daubers in his engine while it was stored.

Those daubers will build nests in the muffler, and clog up the works in 2-cycle engines...and they'll build in chainsaws, trimmers, just about anything. Good thing they caught it.

Kurt

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Good morning folks

It was 63 F as I head onto the highways this morning. The humidity feels like it is creeping up, however. High today is supposed to be 75 F.

No modeling again last night. I hope some time in the future to be able to do some again.

Last night was Cub Scout Den Meetings. Our Webelos 1 are the only ones meeting right now as they are wrapping up loose ends for their activity badges. Some of the boys missed things during the year are meeting to finish them. Last night they built a bridge to finish out their Engineer Activity Badge. We had a good year. At our upcoming pack meeting we will advance a few boys. We will then have advanced 19 out of 22 scouts. The 3 who did not advance showed up for less than 50% of the meetings during the year. One of the boys made a grand total of 10 meetings for the year from September to May. His mother wanted to know why he was not getting his Webelos badge. I had to explain to her that in two years he earned no activity badges, no belt loops, and hardly ever attended any meetings therefore he did not earn it and the pack would not give it to him because that would be degrading the honor for the boys who worked and earned the badge. She complained that the previous Cubmaster gave badges to everyone who signed up. I had to explain that that was not according to BSA rules and that you must earn the badges. If they continue with their attitude next year they are in for a rude awakening when he moves up to Boy Scouts. The whole thing was just another example of political correctness and the laziness it fosters.

Happy birthday Doug!

I hope everybody has a good day.

jeffrey-wimberl

We had some really nasty weather here last night and early this morning. Heavy rain, high winds, hail, etc. To top things off the power went out at four am. The power company got it back on about three and a half hours later.

cnw1995

Morning all. Thanks for the good wishes. I really appreciate it. Hope the Tardis can be spiffed up before we have to return it.

Just had ice cream, Tom - hope the bride makes her eclair cake this weekend.

CSXect

:wave: Good afternoon everyone:wave:

anyone have any experience with the kline/lionel milk car and loading platform and remote activator???

Chief Eagles

Those daubers will build nests in the muffler, and clog up the works in 2-cycle engines...and they'll build in chainsaws, trimmers, just about anything. Good thing they caught it.

Kurt
Love the blow nozzles for air hose.

Afternoon all. Busy morning. Showered down early and then I got up late. Downed coffee and waffles. Sun came out. Then went out and trimmed trees with big prunners and chainsaw. Had a pickup load to pond woods. Sprinkling now. Got to go to Town Hall for meeting at 3 PM. Hot dog time. Later

Well now that is all taken care of all I have to do now is one load the truck wed. and drive it down there . goto closing on thursday morning and then thursday (the 22nd of May) afternoon I have to unload truck and then drive back here thursday evening or friday am. get our truck and pickup our cats and head back to columbia the final time.

Brutus

Big Congrats to you RT - new job, new house, room for a train, it shold be great!

Doug, Icecream is good, cake is good, both are great. But, I love eclairs - is it a stuffed cake then, or a big pile of little eclairs stuck together? Enquiring tummies want to know (-D

Guys, we call them mud daubers here in MO and they will do all kinds of mischief! Also have the ones that build paper nests. Also have bees that will make tunnels in wood or dirt too!

Well, got laundry to do so I can go camping tomorrow, so TTFN - will probably be back later here and there.

sir james

Good Evening All
No big news today. I planted my little garden, had to give up planting green peppers, could not keep the rabbits away from them. They would eat the leaves off and that would just about finish the plant. I thought about using the metal milk crates but can't find any ,just plastic and I'm not sure if theres enough sunlite through the sides. tried all kinds of stuff but nothing kept them away. No trains today, I did look in on them but no running. Well get ready for friday cause it's on the way...S.J.

Chief Eagles

Morning. Light rain and I could not sleep. ???? That is sleepy weather. :confused: Off to cook breakfast.

Sir J, I think Lowes and I know Southern States [oh you are not a SOUTHERN STATE :twisted:] has rabbit repellant. Also, make you a mixture of hot pepper spray by boiling them in water. Spray it on the plants with a spray bottle [BTW: let it cool first :p]. Best cure is lead. sign1

Later.

dwiemer

Morning everyone! Chief, another benefit to lead....you can make rabbit stew!
Brutus, we have the paper wasps too. They suggest only killing ones that cause problems...like nests right around doors/windows. This is because the honey bee population is well depleted and the paper wasps help in pollenation.
RT, congratulations on everything! It has been a long struggle, but the end of the tunnel is in sight. Our best achievements are those that we have to work the hardest on. We are very happy for you and your bride.

Well, had to fire the maid. She did a great job on floors and mirrors, but did not do well on dusting and scrubbing. It is bad when someone hired to do the job doesn't even move the items when dusting/cleaning. Just goes around....like having a teenager clean their room.

Not much happening today. No cases scheduled and I am hoping to get some work on the layout done this afternoon. I will be helping out at the church tonight for the high school graduation. When done, I'll try to catch up on some rest.

I picked up Kirk Cameron's new book "Still Growing". It is his autobiography. I had to get it for no other reason than the story about him doing one of Bob Hope's specials. Afterward, Mr. Hope invites him and the other main people from the special to his house for dinner. Kirk's mother tells him he has to go. So, against his will, he is at dinner with Bob Hope, Lucile Ball, President Reagan, Jimmy Stewart, etc. and he has no idea the significance of these people...he just wants to go home. A funny read.

Well, I hope to catch up with Y'all later. Take care and God Bless,
Dennis

jeffrey-wimberl

Good morning.

It's 62 and cloudy here. That'll be clearing to mostly cloudy later with a high in the high 70's.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 5/16/2008

Wind Chill: 61°F
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 58°F

So Far Today
High: 70°F
Low: 62°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 11mph NNE

Today High: 78 Mostly cloudy. Isolated showers in the morning. Highs in the upper 70s. North winds around 10 mph. Chance of showers 20 percent.

Tonight Low: 55 Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 50s. Light and variable winds.

P1010005-32-1.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Good morning folks

Another rainy morning and day. This has to be one of the wettest springs I can remember. It was 55 F on the way in this morning. Our high will be around 61 F.

I still have not gotten any modeling done despite my best efforts. Last night my daughter’s Girl Scout Troop had a tour of the police station. I helped my wife build a milk carton catapult from instructions in my son’s Webelos handbook. She wants to the scouts to build them so they can finish up their Engineer Activity badge requirements so she wanted to do one before hand to see how easy it was. The thing worked!

This weekend is another scout weekend. Tomorrow we will be going to the Adventure Aquarium in Camden, NJ with my son since it is their Scout Weekend. On Sunday we will be going to Dorney Park with the Girl Scouts.

If I can ever get some modeling done I would like to start weathering some gondolas I have setting on the work bench. I may even pull out a kit or two and work on them. I am thinking about trying one of the P2K stockcar kits I got a while back.

I hope everybody has a good day.

cnw1995

Morning all. Sunny but cool - left my coat in the car at the train station - regret it. New website cutover in an hour - wish me luck. :eek:

Is mud dauber a fancy name for wasps or yellowjackets? I had some under the siding. They were nasty to get rid of... I like Chief's solution for the rabbits. We have a million of them, but they are too 'cute'. The ones I saw in Phoenix were huge - with really big ears.

Brutus, I will save a piece for you, Kurt and Sir James and who ever wants to come over. The eclair cake is a layer cake like one gigantic eclair. - let's see layer of cake (like the pastry), then filling, then cake, then filling, then cake, then frosting. Yum.:mrgreen:

Dennis, where did you find Kirk's book?
CSXect, I don't have the milk cars, is the activator not working or working too well - I have seen a milk platform with too much voltage fling the cans out like a mortar shell.

jefelectric

Good morning,

Rainy weather has returned after a couple of nice days.

Doug, a much belated bday1. I haven't checked in since Monday so I was in the dark about the happenings.

Went to a joint NRHS & PRRT&HS meeting last evening, very interesting program with a slide presentation by John Dziobko, whose photos have appeared in many Morning Sun Publications. He was autographing his latest at the meeting , but unfortunately they had to be pre-ordered and I wasn't aware of it in time. The book is written by
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Robert J. Yanosey & is [/FONT][/FONT]titled
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pennsylvania RR [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Trackside[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] with John Dziobko, Jr. 1951 - 1961[/FONT]

I missed a good deal as it was selling for $45 but lists at $59.95.

Sr James, I always grew my own tomato and pepper plants, but this year they were a total failure. The tomatoes developed blight before I every planted them in the garden and the peppers developed something, not sure what, but it stunted their growth, I trashed the lot and gave up for the year. Flowers did well in spite of the extremely cloudy late winter and spring, the only casualty was powdery mildew on the zinnia plants.

Tom P., You are to be congratulated on your contribution to the scouting effort. Not many are willing to devote their time to scouting.

RT
, Sounds like you are on your way to a new career and new home. Hope it all works out for you.

Chief, Did you catch any FISH?

CSXect

Morning all. Sunny but cool - left my coat in the car at the train station - regret it. New website cutover in an hour - wish me luck. :eek:

CSXect, I don't have the milk cars, is the activator not working or working too well - I have seen a milk platform with too much voltage fling the cans out like a mortar shell.

I was watching a dvd and it had some footage about the American flyer and Lionel milk cars and how they were both operated eraticly but looked like a lot of fun, got me to wondering if the k-line/lionel version works any better may keep an eye out for the old ones and the k-line version as well:thumb:

jefelectric

I'm finally getting around to some layout work, any suggestions on the glue to use to laminate several layers of blue foam board?

Status
Not open for further replies.