Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnw1995

Morning friends. Like Jon said, too cold here too. Hope we get the 40s mentioned. Watching a few five-year-olds whilst attempting to work at the same time. Happy for the work.

John, it must be wonderful to run through those old photos - what have you seen? Just layout shots? I visited a link from the OGR forum to a Library of Congress site with color photos from the '40s of C&NW's Proviso yard and the old IC freight yards on the lakefront. It was amazing to browse. Color does something. Hope to pick up Scenic tacky glue later for Thomas' lanterns.

kpolak

Morning!

Using up what's left of restraint not buying trains...some good deals out there...Holding off until the February 16 train show. I think I need some tools.

Parts came in to fix the appliances...now dishwasher door leaks...Repairman comming Friday to install new computer on refrigerator, I'll see what he knows about the Dishwasher.

Hooked up 9 boxcars on Christmas layout, and have been running that, noticed I need to re-design permanent layout expansion. Reversing loop needs to be a double track or I'll never get more than 5-cars long.

Kurt

jeffrey-wimberl

Good morning.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 1/24/2008

Wind Chill: 35°F
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 37°F

So Far Today
High: 45°F
Low: 39°F
Rain: 0.21"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 18mph NNE

Now through 11:00 AM CST January 24, 2008

Through 11 AM...a large area of light to sometimes moderate rain will continue to stream quickly over most of southeast Texas...central and southern Louisiana...as well as the adjacent coastal waters out beyond 60 nautical miles. Expect hourly rainfall rates to average less than a tenth of an inch...except near a quarter of an inch within areas of moderate rainfall.

Rest Of Today High: 45 Cloudy. Chance of rain late in the morning... Then slight chance of rain in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 40s. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 40 percent.

Tonight Low: 32 Mostly cloudy. Lows in the lower 30s. Northeast winds around 10 mph.

P1010022-1.jpg

Chief Eagles

Back home and got to pack!!!! Saw two Dr's [one physical who sent me to another one for shoulder], two sets of xrays and by CVS for meds. later.

steamhead

Cold down here in the Tip o'Texas...all of 47 and drizzly. Good night for working on the railroad...Got some track to ballast...
Good warm night to all...

CNWman

CNW Fan
Hey everyone:wave:
Got to go see the eye doctor tomorow for surgery:cry: Hopefully I'll be well enough afterwards to go to the train show at Johnny's Toys and be able to get a bargin:mrgreen: Going to re-paint part of the depot later as part of the restoration project:mrgreen: Can't say much more, have to get to bed early for the morning surgery:cry::curse:

CNWman

Pooh Bah
memo from camp washout

Burns night coming up. We probably won't go anywhere for it. Chief: if you go to one, try the haggis. It's liked grits but mixed with the bits of a sheep that even an Englishman wouldn't buy, and boiled in the stomach. :eek:

We're sitting stranded in Northern Georgia in Great Locomotive Chase area, but not mobile. Seems that when they winterized the RV they didn't drain the water heater. :curse::curse: When I turned on the water, we had a flood. Fortunately, the mobile RV repair man was in the campground and we had prompt diagnosis. However, we have to wait for a new tank -- promised for tomorrow. :thumb:

Brutus

Yes, get ready for a great supper there! I've never tried Haggis, but a buddy figured out some of my ancestors came from Scotland and I'd adopted Scotland before then anyway :twisted:

But mark the Rustic, haggis-fed,
The trembling earth resounds his tread,
Clap in his walie nieve a blade,
He'll make it whissle;
An legs an arms, an heads will sned,
Like taps o thrissle.

Now, if I could just cobble together some Heeland Coos for my layout! Where is John Baker anyway? He hasn't been posting or emailing for a while?

Got replacement battery for wife's laptop. Note - I did not say old (wife's) laptop, Sir James! Have to see how it holds charge.

Hope to get to play with my trains this weekend before my trip, believe it or not I still need to glue up Buford's (BFOC) drivers again. If this doesn't work, I'll call Lionel and have them fix it I guess.

Doug - it's been really cold here and I lost my hat! Had to go to work today with the icey wind whistling through my ears and over my balding pate, what an eerie sight (and sound) I must have been! Luckily, kids found it in the van so I'll be warmer and less frightful tomorrow I hope!

Prayers for Ozzy and CNWMAN and all others who are having surgery or other problems, including Chief's shoulder and cold.

Kurt - good luck on the fridge and stuff - when it rains, it pours!

sir james

Oh boy, Brutus you got it right this time. I'm still laughing.Full moon,that means no clouds to hold the (heat?) looks like about 0 to 5 tonite. y'all stop by for ice cream just be quiet in the kitchen. its getting close to bed time. S.J.

dbaker48

Lots of traveling go on, and many not feeling to well, sure keeping all the Drs busy. So first and foremost hope everyone has safe trips and good reports from Drs.. If you have to feel louzy this is the time of the year, not so for traveling.

Talk about rain, we have had almost 6" of rain in the past 2 weeks, THATS A LOT !!! And, it is suppose to be rainy until next Tuesday !! May need to buy a boat. You guys will miss us when were gone, we could be within driving distance to Hawaii if this keeps up.

Took my new DCS Daylight to our train club last night. It ran great but the clubs layout was having DCS problems. Did better at home. The engine was really trying hard, but the system wasn't cooperating.
Yep, you guessed it a couple of pics;

47b8df05b3127cceb467228c425c00000026100EZOWbRmyYsU

AND THEN - When I went to leave for work this is what was outside

47b8df05b3127cceb4672377830f00000026100EZOWbRmyYsU

This was the most vivid rainbow I have ever seen! And it was from horizon to horizon, and perfectly filled in.

ozzy

well im up and around, cant stay long, got to get ready and be out the door by 6:00am to drive to iowa city to be checked in for surgery by 8am. see ya when im back home.

L

laz57

Hi GIZ,
17 and cold here, minded it with the dog this morning. Nippy wind out there.
Fixed my Weaver 0-8-0. Looked around here at old computers and found a speaker that fit the tender. Resoldered it and works great.
Trains tonite, then maybe CHAT TIME?
laz57

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Good morning folks

20 F was the temperature as I hit the road this morning. High today will be 36 F.

I worked a little on weathering the flat car decks.

This weekend is the bi-weekly restocking of the food stuffs. On Saturday we will be taking our Cub Scout Pack into Philadelphia via the train to the Chinese New Year Celebration at the University Of Penn Museum Of Anthropology.

I would like to finish weathering the Athearn blue box TOFC’s. I have 5 to do. Then I have two Athearn RTR ones. I also have a couple of other RTR flat cars to weather.

I hope everybody has a good day.

cnw1995

Morning all.

Glad to see Ozzy and hope a fellow C&NW's surgery is going smoothly this morn. If possible, today is the coldest I've felt all week on the jaunt to work. Signals and MU cables frozen on the way in, so we were a tad late. Our stop did allow me to peruse a wonderous MoW train for the CTA - lots of 2 axle, 4 wheel mini-flats, mini-hoppers, and the like.

Don, What a rainbow! Weird seeing green grass and is that a palm tree? Good fix, Laz - amazing what can be found to reuse in an old computer. Brutus, no going around hatless in this weather. Sounded instead like a good excuse to stay home today.

L

laz57

Hi GIZ,
A fellow teacher (science GUY) just gave me a small speaker about the size of the one I needed. Guess where he got it from? Give up? He got it from a Hallmark greeting card. Never would have thought it would work but looks like it will? Same ohms 8, and just a little less watts like .5 as opposed to .8 so it should work. Now I have a backup. Thought I would relay this stuff to YUZ GIZ. So keep those greeting cards.
laz57

Status
Not open for further replies.